7 (23.3%)
ump Action
1 (3.3%)
elf Loader
2 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

babbyc1000

Quote from: rockinbbar;8280522hornet,

I think the only type semi I really care for is the AR platform.
I'm just not into them.

Accuracy is what gets my attention. Consistency & reliability is what keeps it.
My Ar's have all that.
I hope they are able to overcome some of the "black-gun" hype.

I know I did not care for them much til I educated myself. :)

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

itd be nice if a few more members did this, i can still remember some of the responses i got a while back when i said i preferred military type rifles...
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Jorge in Oz

I went the bolt action but if semis and pump shotties were legal in Oz it be a harder decision, as a Remington woodmaster in 30-06 and an 870 Rem pump action shotty would be part of my arsenal also.:(
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

buckshot roberts

Oz you boys can't have any type pump rifle...down under..?
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

22hornet

Pump action rifles are OK.

Pump action shotguns are banned.

I can't see it being changed anytime soon.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: 22hornet;82905Pump action rifles are OK.

Pump action shotguns are banned.

I can't see it being changed anytime soon.

It sucks our laws, so inconsistent, you can tell no thought was put into it, just emotional reaction to the Port Arthur massacre.:frown
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

kombi1976

I like single shots, Martinis for preference, although I guess they're a lever too..... :confused:
I'd like more single shots but decent ones in interesting cals tend to be a little pricey.
What's really unfortunate is that Baikal did not produce make their little single shots in all of the fun cals listed on their website like 7x57R and 9x53R.
We can ge them in .223 and .308 but I consider them as boring as beige paint.
We can get H&R/NEF Handirifles and Rossi breakopen rifles but both are in similarly uninteresting cals.
My next single shot will hopefully be a Ruger No1 in 7x57 and there's the spare Martini Enfield and Martini Cadet actions in my gun locker ready to become projects some time in the future.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

spyglass

I voted for bolt due to it's rugged reliability and the reloading flexibility.  Self loader was a close 2nd choice.  I put quite a few deer in the freezer in my 20's using an 06 742.  The follow up shots were quick and the rifle handled well.

These days I'm a big mauser 98 action fan - I think it has a good balance of reliability and reloading speed.  I still dream of buying a self loader like the one I got when I was a teenager.

James

Huntbear

I voted bolt, but simply love BLR's.  I will put my .308 up against any over the counter bolt gun for accuracy and dependability.
There is a place for all of God\'s creatures.  Right next to the mashed taters and gravy!!!

Hunt like you mean it!!! That does not mean sitting on your butt in your truck!!!

22hornet

Not many BLRS in OZ. I think they are great. Solid, wide range of cals and accurate to boot.
And the new ones look good too. I saw a custom BLR a few years ago with a fore end the same as the current model now. Big improvement
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Huntbear

My BLR is the old style, and it is simply and extension of my arm.  I never remember looking thru the scope when I am pulling up on an animal.  My biggest blacktail ever (a 4x6) jumped up in front of me at 50 yds. in a clearcut, the gun seemed to shoot by itself, I never remember shouldering it, sighting thru the scope, or pulling the trigger, but the bullet went right where I wanted it to.   I look at all the new calibers available, and drool.....
There is a place for all of God\'s creatures.  Right next to the mashed taters and gravy!!!

Hunt like you mean it!!! That does not mean sitting on your butt in your truck!!!

locknloadnow

BLR's are slick- I'd wager BLR is the strongest, smoothest modern lever action- the only lever that can even hold a candle to it IMHO would be the Winchester model 88. I've yet to hear a BLR owner that wasn't thrilled with their BLR- it gets stellar reviews.

buckshot roberts

:jumpingsmiley: "SAVAGE MODEL 99"...........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

noel

although this is an older thread I'll chip in on it.I prefer to shoot bolt actions due to the fact that they are what I started out on.secondly,after years of waterfowling I discovered that most times the first shot was the killer if I got one and I just wasted two more. my slug gun is a pump but you don't pound two or three out without reaiming,especially with a scope.I also have model94 in 32spl that shoots nicely.that's my go to for dogging,scouting and tracking wounded game.it's deadly at 100yds.my daughter got her first deer with it this year!I like to sit the big areas with my 300wm and concentrate on my first shot.don't usually go to far to deliver a second if needed. I'm finally gettig some control over my excitement!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

Alboy

I voted lever, if you check my collection it is very close on all models as listed with break opens probably leading the charge. They are just more romantic appeal to me.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

22hornet

Quote from: Alboy;88034They are just more romantic appeal to me.

Nostalgia and romance are as good a reason as any to choose one rifle over another. As long as it is capable of doing the job.
When you make a good shot using a rifle with some charm it just adds to the moment.

But then again I try to run against the current trends.

Tags: