The ultimate African gun kit

Started by grayghost, October 24, 2006, 07:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayghost

If it were possible and I had 30 days in which to hunt everything from Varmits, Birds, Plains Game to the Dangerous Six, I would want to take a .17 HMR: .223: .280: 375 H&H and a 12 ga in 3.5" chamber. This would do it all for me although I could swap around some but that's just adding spice to the pie. It would be cool beans if a group of us could go over together. The comraderie on the flight over is almost worth the trip. Lots of hunters on the ride over to J'burg. But for now I'll settle for some muzzle loading Whitetails in a couple of weeks. Good hunting, grayghost
In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

grizz1219

For me.... I would go with these.... 22-250, 25-06, 30-06, 338 Mag, 375 Ruger and the 12 in 3 1/2"..... But that is only a guess, have yet to get there to hunt yet but my "wish list" is there and working on getting there..... but these guns would be my choice.. was also thinking, outside the 12 you could bring a T/C Encore Pro Hunter and just bring the barrels for these calibers and be all set.... IMHO...
NRA LIFE MEMBER

NWTF SPONSOR MEMBER

gitano

.17 Remington on 700 Remington, 7x57 Mauser on Ruger No. 1 RSI, .376 Steyr on an M98 Mauser, .50 Alaskan on Martini-Enfield, and 16x16x10.75 Collath drilling. Probably tough to get ammo for the .17, Styer, Martini-Enfield, and especially the Collath. But practicallity wasn't the driving force behind the choices.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

I'd go along with Paul on the .17 Rem.  I'd add a .22 mag for small game, a 7mm Rem Mag for medium game, and a .375 H&H for the larger stuff.  Then add in the standard 12 gauge (2 3/4 inch chamber would be fine for me), and I'd be set!

I'd bring LOTS of ammo, too!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Alboy

My list.

22 rf for the small game and plinking, iron sights, minimum of 2000 rounds ammo

243 for up to about white tail size stuff, bolt action with 3-5 round detachable mag, 4x12 or there abouts scope

45-70 for mediums, SxS double, iron sights

50 bmg for the big boys, single shot, 4x12 scope detachable so the iron sights can be used.

Minimum 100 rounds hand loads with components for 200 more for every center fire, probably double that for the 243.

Of course I have sat around and thought about this and would only go along to be sociable you understand.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

AZ Shooter Gal

hmmm,  a .22rf in Ruger Mk III.  5.56mm in a well set up AR15.  .260Remington in a Remington Model 7 AWR.  .30-06 in a 98 Mauser.  375 Ruger  in CZ Mauser.  My pet 1100 Remington in 12 ga. 2 3/4" with an extended magazine. slugs go in first, hate to have just bird shot when a toothed/clawed nasty showed up without an invitation. and of course my "Feminine Protection", my Para Ordnance .45acp on my hip, 'just cuz'

rockinbbar

You got it right AZ, :D

Looks a lot like mine personal weapons, except the 6mm is a .243 Win, in a Savage 99, & the 1911 is a tricked out Colt. ;)
My .338 Win Mag will have to do, as well.

Seriously, I'd LOVE to go to Africa to call & hunt predators.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: