New Project - Omark .308

Started by branxhunter, October 15, 2013, 11:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

A friend recently gave me this to play with.

[ATTACH]13436[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13437[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13438[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13439[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13440[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13441[/ATTACH]

Marcus

Brithunter

I also own a fairly early example and it shoots rather well still. Mine still has the original size bolt head pin fitted. I rather like them and found it made a nice "pair"  to my later acquired P-H 1200TX.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Nice!

Are the decals on the forearm from competitions?

When will you get to shoot it?

Is the lever on the rear left of the receiver for bolt release or rear sight attachment?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

An Omark! :MOGRIN: Fantastic! I think these rifles are the last of the real bargins here in OZ. I have read "somewhere" that you can fit a Remington 700 stock to this action provided you open up the inletting for the fatter Omark action. The person in the article used a Boyds thumbhole ADL stock.

Good luck with this project. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

branxhunter

Paul,

I believe the stickers are either from competition, or the rifle was a club gun.

I will shoot it as soon as I can! The butt has been shortened by what looks like 2" or so and has no buttpad, so I need to address that first. One of the blokes at work is a member of the local rifle club and says I can buy target rounds through their club for 50c per round, so might try that to start.

There are two levers on the rear left of the receiver. The large one is something to do with an attachment fornampeep sight - a friend is sourcing one for me as we speak and I should have it before the weekend. The smaller lever which just protrudes from the rear of the rear sight mounting block is the bolt release.

Marcus

sakorick

It's a keeper! Cool gun especially the front peep. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jorge in Oz

Nice score Marcus. They are definitely very accurate rifles compared to any new commercial rifles (non-target). My mate was looking at a scoped model for long range hunting.

I believe the Browning BLR scope bases can be used on the Omark if you want to scope it. It would be an awessome long range varmint buster.

Also it would be nice to shoot it with peep sights. Well made rifles.

Well done.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Brithunter

The UK supplied ones had an adaptor plate to take the P-H 5C rear sight which mine has fitted. I gather yours probably is set up for a Central Sight as they were/are very popular down under as I understand it.

One thing I noticed is that  they have a fairly small trigger guard.
Go Get them Floyd!

branxhunter

It was a beautiful sunny day today - perfect for starting on the Omark stock. I used citristrip an a stanley knife (boxhunter) blade to scrape off the old finish, then some sandpaper to smooth it down a little. I then reshaped the fore-end to make it look a little less like a fence post.

Once the finish was removed and a little sanding of old patchy stains completed some nice figure stared to appear - I think this stock may have more character than I first thought.

[ATTACH]13443[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13442[/ATTACH]

I also received a little package from a good friend of mine who I work with - his father used to be a home gunsmith, and he has all sorts of old boxes of mixed treasures. He found an old Australian made Central peep sight; a No. 4 I believe. A close look on the locking lever on the mount base finds that it is also stamped with "Central", so maybe this rear peep is what it is meant to wear.

[ATTACH]13444[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13445[/ATTACH]

Feels like this is all coming together nicely. I just need to work out what to do to lengthen the butt by 2".

Marcus

Brithunter

How strange I replied to this post the other say saying that here in the UK the Model 44 was fitted with a bracket and the P-H 5C yet I see it's vanished.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Outstanding!

Looks very good, both the stock and the sight!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

A really thick white line spacer and a recoil pad?
How about a 2x6 section painted in shocking pink, you can explain it is actually your wife's rifle!
I am sure something will come to mind.
I salvaged a broken stock on a store "get rid of it" Savage 24V by carefully fitting a piece of hard yellow pine contouring it to match the rest of the stock and then mixing a stain that matched the existing wood.
It looks decent and did not require any expense, just some work.
I like ss rifles!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

22hornet

Very nice Omark. I think these guns are one of the last true bargains out there.

You can get a scope base for these too. They just need drill and tapping. After these fires are over I will send you a copy of a Guns Australia article on the Omark.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

kombi1976

These are great rifles.
In the hands of a proficient marksman they can match and outshoot rifles 10x the price.
A few years back I read of 2 guys who converted their Omarks to repeaters with 20-shot mags from SLRs (the Aussie made FN-FALs made under licence to FN).
There was a great story of them culling donkeys in the outback.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

22hornet

Quote from: kombi1976;128629A few years back I read of 2 guys who converted their Omarks to repeaters with 20-shot mags from SLRs (the Aussie made FN-FALs made under licence to FN).
There was a great story of them culling donkeys in the outback.

Yep, I remember this well. I was wondering if with all the aftermarket kits around if this would be more viable now than before.
Of course it would be pure folly or just for a one off because you can buy a Howa and aftermarket detachable magazine set up for a lot less than the smithing costs of converting an Omark.

kombi1976

It's an enticing idea but it was really only a clever idea when all of the kits weren't available to us here in Oz.
I got the impression converting an Omark involved quite a bit of careful machining and milling.
Not difficult for an experienced machinist or gunsmith but certainly not a case of drilling 1 or 2 holes and tapping them or grinding away a bit of metal.
The Howa or Remington kits are much cheaper in terms of an overall project and the potential for feed issues and other problems related to mag conversions is far lower.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

I was going to ask you guys to 'speak English', but I got a copy of "the story" via email, so I understand a bit more.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

I have the barrelled action on the kitchen bench at the moment so thought I would take some measurements and post them as follows:

Barrel 26" from front of recoil lug to muzzle
Barrel diameter 1.23" at recoil lug, 0.86" at 4" in front of recoil lug, 0.79" at muzzle
Recoil lug 0.365" thick
Action walls approx 0.32" thick
Action screws approx 6.75" apart
Bolt body 0.74" diameter
Action cut-out 2.9" long

Ingesting ly it seems that this rifle has had two holes drilled and tapped in the bottom of the action between the recoil lug and the trigger unit. I have read that some target shooters installed an extra action screw between the as per design ones in the bottom of the recoil lug and in the rear tang which aided accuracy.

It seems to be reasonably difficult to find a lot of information on these rifles. I wonder whether we should try and gather as much info and as many photos together here on THL as we can to form a sort of data repository for the Sportco/Omark Mod 44, similar to how THL is already THE Parker Hale site.

Marcus

gitano

QuoteIt seems to be reasonably difficult to find a lot of information on these rifles. I wonder whether we should try and gather as much info and as many photos together here on THL as we can to form a sort of data repository for the Sportco/Omark Mod 44, similar to how THL is already THE Parker Hale site.

Sounds like a wonderful idea!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

I spent some time last night extending the butt stock with a roughed out piece of pine, and then added a slip-on recoil pad over the top. Certainly not pretty but I have been itching to have a few shots. I managed to source forty 144gn FMJ rounds through the local rifle club for $20 during the week.

[ATTACH]13446[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13447[/ATTACH]

Firstly I set up a big piece of cardboard with a white plastic lid on my cyprus log backstop and parked the ute back around 25m and roughly zeroed the rear peep sight over the bonnet. Moved back to 100m and another 3 shots got it close enough to POI to try some grouping after changing the position of the lid on the cardboard.

[ATTACH]13449[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13448[/ATTACH]

In the end I had 13 shots at the same POI. As you can see there is over 9" of vertical stringing which could be either due to the peep sight canting forward after each shot (took me a while to pick this up), my inexperience with peep sights (never used them before) or my basic shooting technique. The pleasing aspect was that the lower 12 shots were all within approx 1.5" for windage.

Once I had shot off half a dozen rounds I clued onto the peep sight moving around, and made sure that I checked and straightened it up after each following shot. I also paid close attention to making sure that the aiming mark was perfectly centred within the front and rear apertures.

These two things seemed to improve the grouping, with the cluster of 5 shots going into approx 0.76". I reckon this old thing might be a shooter.

[ATTACH]13450[/ATTACH]

I wonder how it might perform with a scope, specifically worked up loads, and a lighter trigger pull?

I now feel justified in spending some money and effort on the old girl. I have some well seasoned Blackwood with which I will permanently extend the butt stock, and I will install a grind to fit recoil pad. I am going to try finishing te stock with "Organoil"; a product used to great effect by one of my workmates.

Drill and tap the receiver, a rail and some QD rings and I think it will be well set up for either scoped or peep sight shooting.

Marcus

gitano

Looks very good to me, Marcus!

I'm quite certain the stringing is due to the movement of the peep sight.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

It would seem that  I have a rear peep that fits some other rifle - probably an SMLE .303. The right type of peep is very similar, but has a grooved bottom "leg" that stops the sight canting forward under recoil, like this ( hopefully the pic will upload from the iPad).

[ATTACH]13451[/ATTACH]

Marcus

Jamie.270

QuoteThese two things seemed to improve the grouping, with the cluster of 5  shots going into approx 0.76". I reckon this old thing might be a  shooter.
HaHaHaHa !
.76" group with a loose aperture mount post, stiff (gritty?) trigger, old .mil issue ammo, and your first run at peep sights?

Yeah, I "reckon" so too!   As a matter of fact, I'd say  It's definitely a shooter.
Sound like you might be quite the "shootist" too!

Great work Marcus.  It looks and reads like you have resurrected a real gem.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

drinksgin (deceased)

Marcus, a temporary fix might be to take a piece of wet or dry sand paper, about 320 grit or so, double it so the grit is out on both sides, put it between the parts that pivot and tighten well.
This might do it for a while.
A shop with a milling machine and the correct mill cutter could easily do the modification so the sight would stay put .
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

branxhunter

[QUOTE
.76" group with a loose aperture mount post, stiff (gritty?) trigger, old .mil issue ammo, and your first run at peep sights?

Yeah, I "reckon" so too!.[/QUOTE]

Jamie270,

When I was taking notice and remembered to straighten and tighten the peep up before each shot it was quite firm. I am following up some leads on the correct type of sights.

While the ammo does have a non-descript military type headstamp the fella from the rifle club said they were a palma-type target round developed for big bore shooting, most likely in the 50s or 60s. Apparently one club member used this ammo to shoot to a Queens competition level (while I don't know the details, it sounds like quite an achievement). I would therefore expect that the shot-to-shot consistency should be pretty good, however it would just be pure luck if these rounds were perfectly suited to this rifle.

The trigger is quite good; reasonably crisp and little creep, but heavy for a target rifle. It can be adjusted for pull weight, sear engagement and backlash so I might play with these aspects.

Was a lot of fun shooting peeps though, and I want to be able to keep doing so in the future. One of the reasons is to encourage Dad to get involved in the local rifle club. Readers may remember my description of time Dad and I spent at the club earlier this year that he really enjoyed. I reckon if we had a dedicated target rifle with peeps that he could use he might really get into it.

Marcus

branxhunter

Update on the Omark.

I refinished the stock with Tru-oil and a final coat of wax, and then got a Lynx steel 20 MOA rail fitted. I used some warne rings in the cupboard (they are a little high) to mount the old Simmons Whitetail Hunter 6.5-20x50 that used to be on my .22-250.

Marcus

branxhunter

I zeroed at 100m and 250m the other day but wasn't particularly happy with the groups. I lightened the trigger some more and had another go this evening and got this group at 100m (rifle still zeroed for 250m).

I am happy with how this rifle is coming together. I'm going to focus on reloading first, then look into a Davies trigger and some better glass.

Marcus

kombi1976

Cheers & God Bless

Alboy

Quote from: kombi1976;129700Wow, nice!! :D

I agree
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jamie.270

QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

22hornet

Much better. :2thumbsup:

Yep, get that scope lower. With the low bolt throw the only thing holding you back is the size of the scope.

Have you managed to play around with loads yet? I have heard good thing from users of Sierras 135gn HPBT Matchking. Might give you less recoil and easier off the bench.

gitano

Me four!

Personally, I wouldn't touch that scope! That little bit that it is higher than maximally low would be immaterial to me if I could shoot groups like that with it "high"!

Nice!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

You sure know how to doll up those old girls Marcus.

Nice shooting too.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

branxhunter

A few more photos for you Jorge

Marcus

branxhunter

And a few more

Marcus

Jorge in Oz

Nice mate. They are very accurate rifles.

I have seen one with a SLR mag that a dude used for pig shooting.

branxhunter

Update on the Omark project.

I played around with the trigger and managed to lighten it off somewhat. I bought and loaded up some Lapua brass with 155gn A-maxes over AR2208, and during our summer beachside holiday down on the SW Vic coast I got to try them out. The loads were four cases at each powder charge weight of 45.2gn, 45.5gn and 45.8gn AR2208, with each charge weight loaded at 2.835", 2.840" and 2.850" OAL, so 36 rounds in all. A split case (NOT Lapua) was used to determined the OAL to the lands as 2.850".

The shooting was done prone at 125m over front and rear bags - nothing fancy.

[ATTACH]13540[/ATTACH]

More photos to follow,

Marcus

branxhunter

Various groups:

[ATTACH]13541[/ATTACH]

branxhunter

Best group - measured approx 0.4" at 125m. This is starting to get very interesting.

[ATTACH]13542[/ATTACH]

Marcus

Jamie.270

Quote from: Branxhunter;130756Best group - measured approx 0.4" at 125m. This is starting to get very interesting.

Marcus
Interesting indeed.
That group is "Money!"

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

What I want to know is did you hit the windmills? :greentongue:
Cheers & God Bless

branxhunter

Quote from: kombi1976;130759What I want to know is did you hit the windmills? :greentongue:

The hubs make an inviting target don't they?

Marcus

kombi1976

Quote from: Branxhunter;130761The hubs make an inviting target don't they?

Marcus

They do, they really do.
That'd really be "doping the wind.":D
Cheers & God Bless

davidlt89

QuoteBest group - measured approx 0.4" at 125m.
WOW!!!!! nice job!!! of course with a little more work and more components, you might get them tighhter!:biggthumpup: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Quote from: davidlt89;130763of course with a little more work and more components, you might get them tighhter!:biggthumpup: God Bless.

You have truly been 'infected'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Awesome shooting Marcus. Amazing such an old girl can shoot so good.

Be good to see how it groups at 200+ meters, I'm sure it will still be tight further out.

branxhunter

The results from load testing in January seemed to indicate that 45.8gn of AR2208 behind the 155gn A-max might be the charge weight that suits this old Omark.

I loaded up 14 rounds at an OAL  of 2.835" (5 rounds), 2.840" (4 rounds) and 2.850" (5 rounds - this OAL is touching the lands). This was the resulkt at 100m.

[ATTACH]13562[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13563[/ATTACH]

I think I have found my load!

Marcus

kombi1976

Holy COW!!
That's a crazy good group.
Don't touch it, mate!
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

Man 'o Manischewitz!

NICE work! Including the 'nut behind the butt'!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

22hornet

branxhunter

This old girl just keeps amazing me....

[ATTACH]13595[/ATTACH]

Marcus

branxhunter

The top group was a pleasant surprise, the next one down not as good. I reckon it is still alright for a hunting projectile.

[ATTACH]13596[/ATTACH]

Marcus

branxhunter

These groups were with 125gn Speer HPs

[ATTACH]13597[/ATTACH]

Marcus

sakorick

Quote from: Branxhunter;132189These groups were with 125gn Speer HPs

[ATTACH]13597[/ATTACH]

Marcus

What was the range and your POA? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

I'll guess and say PAO was the back dot in the center of the yellow spot, and based on the other targets and groups, I'd guess 100m was the range.

If those assumptions are correct:
:eek:
:jumpingsmiley: :jumpingsmiley: :jumpingsmiley: :jumpingsmiley: :jumpingsmiley:

You're a very good shot, Marcus!

I don't know what you have in mind for those 125s, but I think you will be pleased with them on anything in Oz short of buffalo. Not sure about camels, but no doubt about wild asses. You know how I like light-for-caliber bullets, but that 125-grain HP in the .308 and the same bullet at 115 grains in the 7mm, are the only bullets I use in those two calibers on everything including moose and black bear.

Paul

PS - Oops. I have to correct myself. That 125-grain didn't feel quite right, and it wasn't. I don't use TNTs, I use "Varmint HP". The difference is the size of the meplat. In the TNT, the meplat is almost closed. In the Varmint HP the meplat is very large an open. I believe that makes considerable difference in game.  The Varmint HP in .308 is a 130-grain bullet. I would add, that I 'settled' on these two bullets (the 115 7mm and 130 .308), not because I "like" light-for-caliber (LFC) bullets, but because they shot the straightest in my rifles. I like LFC bullets BECAUSE of these bullets, not the inverse.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

It'd be fine on camels so long as you use a decent 180gn. Great shooting, mate.
Cheers & God Bless

branxhunter

You are correct Paul - range was 100m, POA are the dots as shown. Final adjusted impact points for the different projectiles are approx 4" high as that is roughly the 300 yard zero that I use when shooting at the Hamilton Rifle range.

There is a 300 yard 10 ring shoot on Saturday afternoon, and I have loaded up some 155gn Dyer HP target projectiles which I will hopefully test on my 250m target today. The Rifle Club calls these 300yd shoots 'short range', as the mounds are spaced at 100yd intervals all the way back to 1000yds.  Once I get a load really humming I am keen to stretch this old rifle out at longer ranges and see what it can do.

Two recent changes have made a big difference to the consistency of this Omark - I found myself a second hand  Zeiss 6.5-20x50 scope with the target turrets and the improved clarity, finer crosshair and more dependable turret adjustments a a big improvement.

I also fitted a Davies 2 stage trigger which is a work of art. Originally I didn't want the 2 stage model, but in the  pull weight range I wanted only the 2 stage is available. It turns out it is perfect.

Marcus

gitano

Finer reticle and better trigger are tangible differences.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Nice shooting Marcus.

You'll have no excuse coming Sambar hunting with the rest of of the Aussie THL group. I'll have to see if we can get access to the 1,500 acres in Swifts Creek so we can arrange a hunting trip towards the end of this year.

kombi1976

Sounds good! And Jorge is right. You shouldn't be missing anything! Counting down the days to my sambar hunt. Only 11 now. I'm zeroing "The Judge" today (my 9.3x62) and need to pay my VIC deer stalking licence. I should really ring the missus and get her to pay it.......... :undecided:
Cheers & God Bless

22hornet

Quote from: Jorge in Oz;132271Nice shooting Marcus.

You'll have no excuse coming Sambar hunting with the rest of of the Aussie THL group. I'll have to see if we can get access to the 1,500 acres in Swifts Creek so we can arrange a hunting trip towards the end of this year.

Let me know the dates. I work shift work so I'll have to do my best to swing things around. Unfortunately I don't get a choice when I take my annual leave.
 If it alight with Andy, I'll swing by his place and we'll travel down together.

kombi1976

Depending on when it is my load gets lighter in Term 4 as my senior class leaves at the end of Term 3. October looks promising and it's when they tend to be breeding again too. It'd be awesome to head down with you, 22h. A top road trip! :D
Cheers & God Bless

kingbrown

Strange the word Sportco isnt beside Omark 44
I have 5 of them myself. 3 x 308. a 260 silhouete and a 223 . Vant beat em ...and the PRICE  :cheesy:

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

I believe Omark was a company that purchased Sportco. There may have been a transition period where they marked the M44 rifle as Omark & Sportco but eventually they phased out the Sportco name. Scott or Marcus may know some more about this.

Tags: