first bear bait pictures of the year

Started by davidlt89, August 16, 2010, 05:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Well, hard to believe bear season is almost here already! two more weeks and I will make my way to the stand hoping see a big bruin. My friend brought his memory card from his camera over the other day and here are a couple pics of the visitors that he has. the last two pictures show one of last years cubs, and yes, he would taste good. Got a call from my friend tonight and apparently there is a big ole boy coming now since these were taking. until I see the pictures, thats still to be determined! Hope you enjoy! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Paul Hoskins

David, you're cruel. I would love to be there this season. I love bear hunting better than anything I've ever hunted. I'm having medical problems & afraid to get very far from home or I would be up there this season. Been about three years since I've been in the Maine woods. Thanks for sharing the photos. Post more of them if you get any more.   .....Paul H

davidlt89

Will do! I had to move my bait due to "no hits". Hopefully this week some will start hitting. I have my camera on a friends bait for this week and he is getting hit, hopefully will have those pictuers soon. Hope your medical problems subside my friend, you need to get up here sometime and at least do one more hunt!!!!! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Paul Hoskins

David, if your bait isn't getting any hits, by all means, move it. Season is too short & time too valuable to waste on inactive baits. Been down that road many times myself. ....Sure would be nice to make one more bear hunt. Maybe next year. Thanks for the good wishes. I don't know what the future holds but nobody does anyway. Can't get any satisfaction out of the doctors despite CT scans & MRI's. ....Paul H

gitano

Not happy to hear about your ailing, Paul.

Looks good David! Try to save that bear fat! It's good for a variety of things, including making cast and BP lube.

"keep those cards and letters coming in" (and pictures too!)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

I will keep the pictures coming as they come in. One of my other friends has an inactive site also, which is very perplexing! Normally he would have a boat load of pictures!!!! I already have a micmac who wants all the animal parts I don't use. Micmacs are one of the "local" indian tribes. They love to see a skin on their doorstep!!!!! Not sure how to use the fat as you say Paul, but I did find that thread on sinew interesting!!!!
Paul, once you get straightned around (and you will!), we will have a sight for ya when you are ready! God Bless.

davidlt89

I used a new photo sharing program for these pictures and they stayed small. with all the hoopla about photobucket I am trying to stay away. I felt the picture of the big bear did not do it justice so here it is a little bigger.

gitano

Good bear!

Flickr says you are no longer an active member and has "deactivated" your pictures.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

ok, lets do this again. I got photos into photobucket which is much easier to use!

This is a good size bear.

Nice little bear!

little bigger bear!

nice size bear!

The big boy!

this one has been dragging off the barrel!

Nice size bear!

thought this was a great picture, looks like he is sitting at a table. Mind you, that is a 55 gallon drum in front of him. this is a long bear.

Tried to put in a picture of a raccoon, but could not. Hope you enjoyed. God bless.

Paul Hoskins

Nice pictures & nice bear. I like all bears except the one I wasted a month trying to kill back around 1987 or '88. Despised that big bruiser. He was smarter than I  was. That isn't saying a lot tho. .....I see several shot opportunities for a neck shot with a good 70 grain 22 caliber bullet. ....Thanks for the pic's. David. Brings back a lot of fond memories. .....Paul H

recoil junky

Great pictures David!!

Hope you get a shot (or two) at that biggun'.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

Well RJ, this is on my friends bait. I had to move my bait and I just set the camera this morning because I was letting someone else borrow it. My bait has been cleaned out the last two days so hopefully will have some pics from my bait tomorrow. This ain't over, more to come soon. Hoping we get a picture if a really big one! God Blesss.

davidlt89

Went to my bait this morning hoping it had been hit yesterday and sure enough, it had! They actually knocked my camera off of the tree!!!

wouldn't you know it, I got the first pictures this year of Cubs!!!!!! first two pics are of the little fella's obviously. One little guy can barely reach the barrel which is just a little higher than my belly button and I am 5'7".

Here we got momma coming and somehow after this my camera mysteriously gets kncoked to the ground!

Next two pictures I believe are two different bear since they are 8 hours apart.

Bait seems pretty active so far, we can barely keep the food in it. this is the last week before shooting starts so hoping to get some pictures at "reasonable" hours. God bless.

recoil junky

ROFL!!!!!!!

Kids!!!! Find a camera in a tree and have to see how it works!!!
:MOGRIN:

That's just too cool.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Fieldmor77

Got some good photo's there David, what model trail cams are you using?, i am looking at getting one through Cabela's, as the price they sell them for here is absolutely outrageous.

Average price here is around $350 to $550, that's for a Bushnell Trophy 5mp.

davidlt89

Fieldmor, my camera is a moultrie 4.0 something, something. it was given to me as a gift and it has been a great camera! I had the batteries in it all last bear season (1 month) and a couple weeks before deer season (temps got down to freezing) and have been using the same batteries for the last 3 weeks of this baiting season and I am at almost 60% battery strength. this camera at cabelas is around 240.00 but they have one just like it in camo that is a 5.0 megapixel on sale for around 170.00. I cannot say anything bad about this camera at this juncture, but I reserve the right to if it starts acting up. My buddy has a cheaper bushnell sport and is having some problems!!!!!
Got a few new one's from my bait to post up.
Here are the little fellas again at the same time the next day. my camera managed to stay on the tree this time!

Here is a little bigger one that is still hitting at night.

there quite possible are two different bear in this batch. "one" looks bigger and they are around 4 hours apart. Hard for me to tell looking at a thumbnail. All in all, they are shooters except for the momma and the little ones. they will make it another year! BUT, those little fellas are fair game next year! God Bless.

recoil junky

After seeing those youg'uns "playing with the camera I had to go back and look up a video my Sis sent last fall of an elk calf playing in a wallow. It's under "elk hunting".

I used to see quite a few bears in MT, but here in Colorado I've only seen one.

Those are some great pics David.

RJ

bowhunter 51

Good stuff, davidt.....I'm hopeful you tag a big'un this season......BH51......
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Vermonster

Hey David, nice photos!  So, if I make it back to Houlton one of these falls, you gonna take me out for bear???? :laugh:

On a side note, my cousin's husband got a moose permit this year, so he should be hitting the woods a couple weeks from now.......

davidlt89

I have made many offers for people to come up for bear. If you "actually" come up, you will hunt, enough said!!!!!!! your cousin has another month before he hits the woods. although, technically he can hit the woods in a couple weeks if he desires, just would not get caught with a moose, they generally like the permits to be used during the designated season:greentongue:. God Bless.

davidlt89

couple more picks from yesterday and early this morning.

nice looking bruin here

litle fellas again

I think this is momma pulling the barrel down for the youngins. If this is not the mother, it is gonna get a bullet.

seen this guy before

Most I can tell, all these bear are feeding twice a day and putting a hurtin on my bait supply, but hopefully I will be done monday!!!!

Paul Hoskins

David, the big one is a keeper fer sure. I wouldn't hesitate to bust a cap on it. Hope you can get it to come in during legal shooting time. It's very difficult to make a good shot while holding a flashlight. ....Good luck & if you succeed Monday, you won't have to worry about bait anyway. .....Thanks for keeping us posted even tho it makes me homesick.    ....Paul H

Brasco20

Man your lucky!  We cant bait in MT.  Good pics!

davidlt89

QuoteHope you can get it to come in during legal shooting time.
none of these bears have actually shown consistency! Actually, I have never had one bear on any bait I could count on to come in at a certain time like some say they have. We do however have one coming in the morning between 6:00 and 11:00 which looks like a good bear. thanks for the well wishes, I hope to bust a cap monday for sure. meanwhile, in case you are not homesick enough, here are a couple more pics from yesterday. I think we have a new guy coming in now, the one that is coming in the morning. Hope he stays consistent because the guy I am hunting with has wednesday off and can hunt the morning.

God bless.

Paul Hoskins

David, that's a nice little bear. Clean as a pin & has hair all over his belly. Really nice & a keeper for sure. Make a beautiful rug. .....Good luck, pal.   ......Paul H

davidlt89

QuoteWe cant bait in MT
We are one of the very few states that still can. Almost lost it 5 years ago!!!!
QuoteMake a beautiful rug
I may cosider getting one tanned this year! God Bless.

22hornet

Fantastic bear pics David! :biggthumpup: Looks like you will be right for this season. Fill that freezer!

What range are you shooting them at?
Whats your rifle / cartridge?
What is a "good" size for a bear and what is a "great' size for a bear?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

davidlt89

QuoteWhat range are you shooting them at?
Whats your rifle / cartridge?
What is a "good" size for a bear and what is a "great' size for a bear?
[/SIZE]
sorry I caught this late! my rifle is remington 700 XCR RMEF (camo stock) 7mm mag. I am loaded with hornady 162gr BTSP's.
Good size for a bear to me is anything not with its mother! your average bear around here may be 200lbs live weight, although there are smaller ones. A "good" bear would be breaking the 300lb mark, and a "great" bear, to me, would be 400+. they do seem to get some over 500lbs every year. biggest I have seen was 485lbs dressed!!! and no, I did not kill it! God bless.

Tags: