New rifle - Lithgow .22 hornet

Started by branxhunter, February 05, 2010, 05:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22hornet

Quote from: Branxhunter;103959Now I know the .223" diameter projectiles are to cater for older rifles chambered in 22 hornet - would that include this rifle? Is the sky likely to fall in if I fire reloads that use .224" projectiles (as long as they are worked up slowly with an eye on pressure signs)?

I'm far from being an expert on the .22 Hornet but I have mucked around with more than a few.
I doubt that .001" will make any difference at all. I worked up loads in an old Brno hornet that had a .223 barrel using .224 projectiles without a problem.
But it does pay to look out just to be sure. And seeing that you have some .223 projectiles give them a try for accuracy too.

For a 40gn projectile ADI lists 9 gns of AR2205 for a start load and 10.2 as max.
For a 45gn projectile ADI lista 8.5gn of AR2205 for a start load and 9.8 as max.
I  have found that ADI's charges to be on the light side, and every hornet I have worked up loads for can exceed the max charge listed not problems at all.
I have used 11.5gns of AR2205 with a 45gn projectiles no problems in my CBC Hornet, but I could also seat the projecitles way out.

I currently load my Sportco Hornet with 11gns of AR2205, Winchester 40gn Magnum HP and a Winchester small pistol primer. Works very well for me.
And this rifle is basically Sportco's rimfire action, slightly longer.

When these projectiles run out I will look at using 50gn SP Nosler SHOTS, or if I can get them, a hard cast projectile.

I have posted my "procedure" for loading the hornet somewhere here and will try to find it again.

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

Ok found it. This is what works for me. I don't know how much preparation you want to put in but any questions just fire away.

From this thread: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12388&highlight=small+pistol+primers

This is what I like about the little hornet. It can take a while to sort everything out.

I find a bit of preparation goes a long way.

I use new Winchester brass.
I full length size each case.
Trim to minimum length with a Lee trimmer just to make everything uniform and to square up the case mouth.
Use small pistol primers.
Weigh each charge and don't load it hot!!
Seat the projectiles so that they are just shy of the lands.
I find that the slightly rounder projectiles like 35gn v-max tend to be more accurate than longer, pointy ones.
After the first firing I size only about 3mm of the case neck, just enough to hold the projectile in place.
I use graphite powder to lube the case necks, not a liquid lube.

I'm not sure how the small pistol primers will go in your SMLE. The firing pin might go straight through the base of the primer. Anyway, only try them if you are not getting the results you are after.

Some projectiles I have tried,
Speer 33gn TNT. No good yet, am still working on this one.
Hornady 35gn Vmax. Accurate, fast, but $$$$.
Hornady 40gn Vmax, Accurate but too long for the Sportco magazine. In the CBC hornet they were very good.
Winchester 40gn Magnum HP, Good, cheap, accurate enough for bunnies to 150metres.
Hornady 45gn SP, Was ok but not any better than .22 Mag projectiles.

I want to try Nosler SHOTS, 50gn SP and some hard cast projectiles when they become available.

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

branxhunter

Well I spent a couple of hours on Wednesday night running a bronze brush and Sweets 7.62 through the bore. A lot of copper came out, as well as a lot of grey sludge. I remembered that one of the rifles was sold to the firearms dealer with reloading gear including a lead projectile casting mould. I suspect this rifle has fired cast lead in the past.

After cleaning I had a look through the bore and was a bit dissappointed - pitting in a couple of locations in the bore and virtually no rifling for the first few inches ahead of the chamber. I know it is a fairly straight-forward thing - check the bore of any rifle you are thinking of buying. I did have a cursory look when I first checked it out but it had been fired and I couldn't see a lot of detail.

Having already monted the 4x40 scope that came with it and bought a box of Winchester 45gr softpoints I decided to give it a go, without really expecting too much. After some intial sighting at about 10 metres I set up a target at 50m and shot the following groups.

[ATTACH]12105[/ATTACH]

Groups 1 and 2 were high, and the turret dial for vertical adjustment was missing so it took some trial and error to find out which way to make the adjustments. While all the groups showed some promise Group 3 was a pleasant surprise.

It was too dark to shoot with any precision at 100m so that will have to wait. I might have to swap the scope to a 6x40 Bushnell I have as well.

Marcus

22hornet

That 3rd group is good, certainly nothing wrong with that rifle. And thats just using factory ammo?

I'll look forward to seeing some groups with some hand loads now. :yes:

gitano

Pits and 'scant' rifling certainly isn't a "good sign", but there are plenty of rifles with pitted bores and worn rifling that shoot just fine.

A case in point:
Some years back I bought an Argentine 7x57 Mauser milsurp sight-unseen off the web. When I got it, I was greatly disappointed with the bore. Looking down it, you almost couldn't see through it for the crud, and the crud wasn't cosmoline, it was rust. When I cleaned it out, "mud" came out for a long time. Once I finally got it clean, it looked much like you describe yours, except the rifling was 'OK' from breech to muzzle.

I was so disappointed that almost didn't shoot it. However, I figured I could configure it for a "pressure" gun to test loads on. I was more than pleasantly surprised. It shoots straighter than ANY other 7x57 I own. I still try to avoid looking down the bore because it's SO ugly. Nonetheless, that rifle is VERY precise.

So I encourage people not to give up on the old beaters 'til they're proven to be truly 'done for'. One just never knows how a rifle is going to shoot 'till it's shot.

Good luck with this one. It appears to have promise to me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

22H, I believe it is Midsouth Shooters Supply, that some times has the Lee .22 Bator mold, a 53gr gas check, round, flat nose hunting bullet.
I have used it in my .223 at about 2300-2500fps and had good results.
A friend tried some I sent him in his K Hornet and had good results.
I found the groups started to open up after 2500fps, so that may be the practical speed limit.
The price is about $20, A. You would need to make or buy a sizer and gas checks.
A decent lube is 50-50 bee's wax and peanut oil, although Lee liquid Alox and LBT soft blue lubes did fine.
Just checked, $18, look at special order molds, the Bator is" on order" but an 8mm 225gr is available and would make a large animal thumper.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Quotebut an 8mm 225gr is available
Not any more... ;)

Paul

PS - The "8mm Maximum" is still available, but I got the last "8mm Karibiner".

Here's the "Karibiner"

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

:o Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread, Marcus.

Here's the "8mm Maximum"

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Whoof-whoof, just call me Spot the bird dog.
I should at least get a milk bone and an ear scratch.
;D

gitano

Quote from: drinksgin;104034Whoof-whoof, just call me Spot the bird dog.
I should at least get a milk bone and an ear scratch.
;D
I'll do better than that. If you don't have these molds and want some of these bullets, I'll make some and send them to you.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Thanks, but the only 8mm I have is the 8x41R I whipped up and that bullet is almost as long as the case.
I do have a 180gr gc which is doing well as the 1200fps semi whisper.
I found that someone wildcatted the .357 max. case in .30, 7mm, 6.5mm,6mm and .22, he must have missed the 8mm, I only made it to be able to use the turkoff barrel you sent me.
I would like to have a better action than the old topper and more or less wring out that case and see what it is capable of, one of these days!
;D

branxhunter

I have been reshaping the fore-end on the 22 hornet to slim it down a little and make it a little less clunky. You may see a little Brno Model 2 influence in there. The timber seems to be a very light softwood of some sort. With a few coats of Tru-oil it has come up nicely.

[ATTACH]12131[/ATTACH]

I have slightly reshaped the butt stock as well, and am about to fit a different butt-plate then oil it up. More photos to come when complete.

Marcus

gitano

Looks good. Waiting to see the finished product.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Thats looking better! :D
Keep the photos coming.

And a range report......

branxhunter

Has anyone seen or used one of these SMLE replacement triggers?

www.huberconcepts.com/Lee-Enfield_Trigger_Replacement.htm

I was searching around for any clues on how to improve the trigger pull on the hornet when I found a webpage that detailed a test report in a .303. Sounded interesting - .22hornet in particular might want to take a look for his .303-25.

Marcus

Tags: