No more 8mm 125s from Hornady

Started by gitano, October 10, 2008, 10:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

22hornet

Paul,

Hornady projectiles run at about $35-$48 per 100, depending upon calibre and style. I paid $35 per 100 for my 7mm 120gn Vmax's.
Woodleigh projectiles are expensive at around $40 per 50 up to about 8mm.

I doubt that Woodleigh would be interested in making a LFC 8mm projectile. Simply because I doubt that they would hit a decent market for them. Most 8mm shooters here are either 8mm Mausers or .325 WSM's.
Having said that though Woodleigh have turned out a magnificent little .312 130gn projectile for the .303 and 7.62x39mm.

I am interested in trying their 140gn PP in my .280 British when I get it up and running.

I could import 8mm 125gn projectiles if I made a 8mm Kurz but really I would be better off with a stock standard 7.62x39mm. Especially since projectiles are a big issue.

But then again a 8mm Kurz on a CZ527 action would be cool! :cool:  Or how about on a Cadet Martini? Steady, one project at a time! Got to get the little Brit firing first....
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Quote from: 22hornet;124074But then again a 8mm Kurz on a CZ527 action would be cool! :cool:  Or how about on a Cadet Martini?]

I do think one on a Martini Cadet would be cool! I wish those actions were more readily available over here. I'll have to give that cartridge a thought for one of the rolling blocks.

As for multiple projects going at once... why should you be any different from the rest of us. :yes:

Paul

PS - Just did a quick 'paper-whip' on QL with the 125 ANVB in a  26-inch barrel at a max pressure of 52,000 PSI.

It carries 1500 ft-lbs out to 120 yards, and 1000 ft-lbs out to 275. 2000 f/s impact velocity reached at 235 yards. Which makes it a good "deer" cartridge - by my standards - out to 200-plus yards.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;124460PS - Just did a quick 'paper-whip' on QL with the 125 ANVB in a 26-inch barrel at a max pressure of 52,000 PSI.

It carries 1500 ft-lbs out to 120 yards, and 1000 ft-lbs out to 275. 2000 f/s impact velocity reached at 235 yards. Which makes it a good "deer" cartridge - by my standards - out to 200-plus yards.

Paul

That is from an 8mm Kurz on a Cadet Martini action? Impressive.
I have a spare Cadet Martini action and I can get the brass no problem....
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Sumpin' to think about... I would expect it would make a good roo cartridge too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

There are a couple of qualifiers that should be noted however:

1) Delivered energy is a function of ballistic coefficient (BC). The BC on the ANVB is a calculated one. It might turn out to be different - could be higher, could be lower. As I have said, I trust the calculator as it has been close - within 0.01 units - to the ones I have tested.

2) I'm not suggesting that 52,000 PSI is an appropriate max chamber pressure for a Martini Cadet. It may be, or it may not be. I KNOW from first hand experience that the claims of the "weakness" of Martini Enfield actions is BALONEY, and that's putting it VERY nicely. I have never held a Cadet in my hands, and only used the 52,000 PSI figure because that is what I use for old milsurp actions.

3) The pressure/velocity pairs are purely QuickLoad calculations. QL estimates can be off quite a bit when only "theoretical" and "factory" numbers are used as input.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: