New .243 Load

Started by recoil junky, July 24, 2017, 06:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

I will NOT stoop as low as to get a 6mm Creedmor. :angry:

This guy looks about as comfortable as a who . . . I mean, um, yeah, he doesn't look comfortable at all.

https://goo.gl/images/rBSr76

If that's what it takes to shoot a 6mm Creedmor, then I'm not about to be that guy.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Elkhamr

RJ you had to go and ruin my week...its been about 5 days since I've hear the word Creedmoor. I may have urped on your shirt if I was standing close to you..hahaha! I agree on another 243 with a 1:8 twist, or blueprint and rebarrel the one you have.

gitano

Creedmore, Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore,Creedmore.

Just being a helmet-head! ;) :army::army::army: I feel the same way about certain cartridges. Sick of hearing how AMAZING they are!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

getting like cnn here....
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Elkhamr

Hahaha...everyone has their favorites. That's why we can NEVER stop wildcatting!!!  I'm constantly forming new cases and have 2 successful wildcats to my name. Ones called 244 S.P. EXPRESS, the other is 8mm Elkhamr. The 244 is between a 6mmAI and a 6mm Gibbs. The 8mm Elkhamr is an improved 7mm Dakota necked to 8mm. It does HAMMER Elk!!!

recoil junky

Paul loves 8mms. Send me a picture and I will post it.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Quote from: recoil junky;148590Paul loves 8mms.
RJ

Indeed I do!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

After more "load work" this morning I have decided that:

1. These bullets would work if I had a .243AI 1:9 1/8 twist barrel. As it stands now I'm at 44.7 grains of H4831sc, 2.3 grains OVER the Hornady recommended maximum and the primers are starting to sweat. Groups are getting smaller with each increase (.2 grain) of the powder charge. Even switching to RL19 or even slower IMR7828 would yield less velocity and I don't "trust" either of those powders in "hot" weather with heavy bullets in over bore cases.

2. Cases look to be at under 90% capacity that also yields poor performance with slower powders and heavy bullets.

3. I'm wondering now about trying 105's if I can blunder onto some locally

So, do I at least get a participation ribbon ? ?

Now what to do with 90 (+-) 108's and partial pounds of H4831sc and Hybrid100V.

RJ

Elkhamr

You surely did your due diligence.  .75" is still pdogs splatting accuracy to 175yds maybe more. Take them out further and see what those groups look like..just for grins if nothing else. Plus you can always hit a coyote with that accuracy. I would call Hornady and ask for a bearing surface measurement on the 105s vs the 108s before I bought any, may save you money and headaches down the road.

recoil junky

After sitting on the deck for a while his morning enjoying the sunrise

I decided to give it just one more RJ try so it can't be said that I failed miserably while trying greatly.

I like this group for several reasons.

1. I KNEW I pulled shots 3 and 4

2. The mirage was terrible

3. The VLS has NEVER let me down

4. the bullets are leaving a nice neat round hole in the target

5. ROX WIN!!! :MOGRIN:

RJ

Elkhamr

That looks alot better. Other than bumping the speed up, did you change seating depth?  Did you get any pressure signs?

sakorick

Very nice......go shoot something!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Thanks for the reminder Hamr, I forgot to mention that I seated the bullets .095 of the lands (just a guess) and also where I left off and it shot best with the H4831sc. The primers are starting to flatten some so there is still room for more powder if I so desire.

Thanks for the push by the way buddy!! You knew I could do it :toff:

Rick, I'm anxious to get a few loaded up and into the field for "testing" on something besides paper. This does not mean I'm leaving the 58 grain Vmax's behind. I have too many of them on the shelf and loaded.

41.7, got to write that down.

RJ

Elkhamr

A few more tenths of powder may be even better yet, I'd sure give it a whirl!

recoil junky

Yes, and wear my contacts instead of my coke bottle glasses.

RJ

Tags: