one caliber for africa

Started by neo76201, May 02, 2005, 02:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RifleandReel

I agree with Karl. It is not necessarily the size of the projectile that causes meat damage but rather the velocity and bullet choice. A solid in a 9.3 or .375H&H will cut clean through the animal whereas a soft would tear up everything inside a smaller animal - especially at close range.

Pale Rider

Hi all, given the one gun senario, the 375 H&H is probably the best gun to take to Africa. If you handload you can use bullet weights that range from 210 to 350 grains. It shoots flat and arrives with lots of authority. Never been to Africa but have killed a number of bear with it including a Grizzly. That's my choice.

grayghost

In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Hello,
I just want to say that I have never been to Africa, but I will and will be bringing my 30-378 Weatherby mag and the 460 Weatherby mag I will get before I go. I am a firm believer that you can not overkill an animal, which is kinda hard to argue with. One thing to keep in mind is that you also dont want an angry cape buf in thick stuff w/o some stopping power, and both of these calibers come standard w/ an accubrake which greatly reduces recoil, but makes it loud! If I had to choose 1 caliber it would be the 378 weatherby, great flat shooting for a large caliber w/ as uch energy as the 458 lott and a lot more than the 458 win. That's my view for what it's worth.
God is Love!
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

grayghost

Hi nrthm: Loud is an understatement! If your not in front of your PH, expect to find him lying on the ground and you defending yourself if any DG attacks. Any muzzle brake I have been around (including shotgun chokes) were absolutely deafning to those nearby. And if you haven't tried shooting the .460 Wea., at moving targets, you may find that recovery time is too slow for most to handle during a charge. Your PH is backing you up for a reason. It is his job to shoot any dangerous game after your first shot if he deems it necessary. Sometimes a man won't admit it to his friends at home, but most DG has a shot or two put in him by the PH. This also applies to our game; Brown, Polar and Grizzly. Not always, but anytime needed. I wouldn't have any problems with a PH backing me up. At least I live to hunt another day and not get stomped into soup. My recent trip to SA yeilded 16 animals in 10 days. All were taken with a .223 and .280. I would have no hesitation pulling the trigger on an Eland with the .280 as long as I had a good shot picture. As I read the previous posts, I have to restate my "one gun" opinion. I would go with the .375 and take appropriate bullets. When you go I would take any standard caliber that you use at home for plains game. Just avoid "ballistic tip" style bullets. Anything well constructed in the bonded or solid copper line will do fine on the plains game. If your going to hunt DG, make sure your comfortable with your .460 before you leave. I saw the price of a box of ammo for the .460 and that was the end of my comfort :) Good hunting, grayghost

nrthrn_maine_hunter

grayghost,
I definately agree that they are overly loud and expensive to shoot.  My 30-378 reminds me of that each time I shoot it, especially with the 180gr Barnes "x".  The noise is not unbearabe though, but is louder than without the brake and I do understant where you are coming from.  Just my personal preference and I am partial to my weatherbies.  But like I said, the 378 WBY would give a lot less recoil and is slightly cheaper to shoot, w/ great traj. for a heavy bullet.  There's  my vote for the 1-gun, if both dangerous game and plains game are likely to be hunted.  Take my opinion for what its worth, I am no professional on African hunting by any means, just have my preferences.
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

ImpalaAfricanSafaris

30-06
I am from Zimbabwe, and the 30-06 will do the job wherever and on whatever...180 grain is all you need !! It will handle all the plains Game and the big Cats

ImpalaAfricanSafaris

Any questions about why the 30-06 is the gun for you? Ammo, Ammo, Ammo...readily available and always affordable anywhere in the world

ImpalaAfricanSafaris

just to clear that up...30-06 on all plains game and the Big Cats........Buff, Eleph, Rhino and Hippo, 375 on up.

Springbuck

I appreciate the views of hunters who have travelled to South Africa and Namibia and then re-visit their views.  An important factor that you should never lose sight off is the fact that nearly 80% of all foreign hunters tend to hunt in the bush rather than the open savanah where the 375 has limits.  This has been and will be the reason de etre why an all-round calibre for all hunting conditions have still not been found.  Although the 7x61 and 7x64 can claim good perfomance statistics they simply do not have the stopping power of the 375 and 458.

grayghost

Hi nrthrn: good point. Having ones preferred gun in hand is always the first choice. Main focus is take the gun you shoot the best. Good hunting, grayghost

Marlin917VS

I think I would take my bow...  I've wanted to go to Africa to hunt for a while.  My goal in life is to get the big 5, and after starting archery hunting, I'm kinda thinking maybe the big 5 with a bow would be fun...  It's probably crazy, but it's only a dream for now.  I need to get out of school and get a good job before I can even think of making that trip, but it's fun to think about.

Andy
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

grayghost

I wouldn't say it's crazy at all Marlin: it's been done many times before. I would go asap because it won't get any cheaper. Check into a Buffalo hunt as a first step. It's good to have goals...and dreams. They give us something to look forward to. Good hunting, grayghost

Springbuck

I agree with grayghost, has been done.  Very exspensive option.  Do not look blindly at an African Hunt as a big 5 or nothing.  The biggest challenge for most first time foreign hunters remain shot placement, regardless of the size of the calibre.  That is where the challenge lie in an African hunt.  A klipspringer can prove to be just as rewarding than an old dagga boy buffalo.

Mauserfan in TX

I guess i'll be the odd-ball. I would love to go on a African Plains-Game hunt. with an 8x57mm Mauser. Can you still get ammo for that one in Africa?
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

Tags: