Standard Cartridge Series - 22 Accelerator

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 13, 2004, 05:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

It seems to me when I put this up the first time there was someone who actually shot these cartridges.  I sure hope he/she 'speaks up' again.

knuckledragger

JAy-  The guy in my shop shoots them in both 30.30 and 30-06.  He loves 'em, but says its getting harder and harder to find boxes of them.

Knuckledragger
Not everyone gets a trophy.

gitano

I'm not sure if I'm the one to whom you are referring Jay, but I have done quite a bit of experimentation with sabot'd 22s - M1 Carbine, .308 Win, 7.62x54R, .30-06, and 300 Win Mag (oops, make that Weatherby Mag, not Win Mag.)

Overall, accuracy is the primary issue. It takes meticulous reloading procedures to achieve MOA precision with handloaded sabots. In my opinon, this is a function of the sabot influencing the bullet right at the moment of departure from the muzzle.

For my experience, the M1 Carbine is useless. You cannot load the case for max velocity without harming the action. I broke a bolt on my first outing. The '06 and Weatherby Mag are, in my opinion, simply wastes of powder. Cramming them full of powder with heavily compressed loads realizes only very small increases in muzzle velocity. I developed some good duplex loads for the '06, but was still able to duplicate it's performance in both the .308 and the Russian case with duplex loads in them.

My conclusion was to use the .308 case in a modern bolt gun. With it I can get 4000+ f/s with 69 grain bullets. On a good day, precision runs about 1.5 MOAs. Muzzle blast is SIGNIFICANT! When at the range, I invariably get inquiries like "WHAT ARE you shooting!?" I think it's the sabot slamming into the air just past the muzzle as it opens. Of course lotso powder and lotso speed also make for lotso muzzle blast too.

In the end, I decided that while the experimentation was fun and educational, if I wanted an accurate (precise), FAST .22 CF, I should get a .22-250 or Swift. (Or even a .22/.30-30 maybe.) Not quite as interesting to load for, but MUCH less "finicky" wrt to loading technique and precision.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Fortunate Son

Jay

This standard cartridge info is quite informative.  I appreciate you posting it.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

Birdshooter

I have never fired any of those Remington Accelerator offerings but I do remember hearing of at least two examples of there misuse. The worst of those was a couple of guys using them for cross canyon elk shooting in NE Oregon. They would just set up and wait for the elk to cross the opposite hill side and fire for effect. My dad told me they did kill a couple of bulls but I hate to think of how many may have been wounded.  :(

Tags: