Whats it take to work as a guide?

Started by spottedhorse, August 21, 2005, 10:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spottedhorse

It's been a lifelong dream for me to be a Professional Hunter in Africa.  I was wondering what it would take to get a job like that.  I've never even gotten to hunt Africa though I've been close on more than one occation, some financial catastrophy always leaves me sitting at home.  Someday I'll get there.

Springbuck

There are a number of PH's that will be able to help you with the information you will need on this forum.  I will be able to help with the information as I understand it.  Please keep in mind that legislation will differ from country to country and that in some cases there are strict guidelines that you need to adhere to, in order to qualify.

For example in South Africa you can enroll for a 10 day course in order to qualify as a PH.  The cost associated with the training programme is around $1300 and it includes the course work as well as practical training. The training is normally done on a farm/training facility and all normal costs such as meals and accomodation will be included.   Even though you can do the course, there are provinces that you will not be able to write the final exam.  In the province controlling Gauteng (the area around Johannesburg) foreigners may write the final exams and register as a PH.

I have spoken to a PH friend (Gleaser Conradie, co-owner of the Hunting Network) and he has indicated that he is more than willing to answer questions you may have.  You can reach him on his cell phone at 27 83 456 1934 or drop him an e-mail at : glaeser@adept.co.za

Cheers

Springbuck

spottedhorse

Thanks for the information.  I'll try and be in touch soon.

RifleandReel

Spottedhorse, I have a little more information for you on your enquiry as far as South African PH's are concerned.

You need to successfully complete a trophy hunting course at an accredited Professional Hunting School. Courses range between 10 and 12 days during which you'll receive lectures with regards to the ins and outs of trophy hunting. The course includes a theoretical and practical examination and the pass rate is 70% for all subjects.

Once you've passed the PH course, you need to write an exam on the laws that govern trophy hunting in the province where you wish to operate. This is usually done on the last day of the course but you need to have a SA work permit to register as a professional hunter once you've written the legal papers.

Initially a restricted permit is issued allowing you to guide foreign clients on non-dangerous game hunts and the restriction will only be lifted once you can provide proof that you have suitable experience in hunting dangerous game.

Hope this helps.

Springbuck

Thanks

Good to have someone adding his views on the topic.

Cheers

Springbuck

CuzTheyFly

Spotted Horse,

Have you done any guiding here in the States? While I can certainly respect your dream of being a PH. That type of work is not for every one. I have guided a few hunters in Texas for about 5 years. Several of My buddies are full time waterfowl guides, that hunt nearly year round in Texas. It is quite an experience to go from hunting for fun to hunting for pay.

Many first year guides hate the work and quit..............

You would not believe the situations that happen while taking strangers out in the field with guns. The pay usually always stinks, but there are times that make it a great job.. Many old timers in the states say, you never get rich as guide, but if you are good to people, you sure will have a lot of friends...

Also, make sure you like dealing with wealthy people, because those are the only type of customer you encounter on Safari's .............

We have it easy in the states because most of our game is not dangerous. I have major respect fot the PH's in Africa or Argentina.

Maybe guide somewhere here in the US for a while, before going over there. That way you can feel out the work. Because going over sea's to be a Professional hunter with dangerous game, is quite bold. As a PH , If you make even a slight mistake, you or your clients will suffer a gruesome fate.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Also, if get to Africa tell Cindy Garrison of ESPN's Outdoors to call me , ,,,

I really like her show!!!!

Springbuck

You should still speak to a number of Ph's to get their views.  Being a guide and being a good guide is a matter of proffesionalism that no book can teach you.  Good luck in getting the right people to train you

Tags: