Cafe Racer!

Started by Nelsdou, December 24, 2015, 06:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I bought the Ariel and the Indian "in a basket" and handed that 'basket' to guy in Jamul, Ca. named Shooty. Shooty was known as a 'wizard' when it came to making "choppers". (That was before "guru" was the word to describe someone proficient in some skill.) Since it was '73, and all us young bikers wanted to be "Easy Riders", I wanted a chopper. Or two in this case. It pains me that the few pictures I had with those bikes were 'lost'. Both were very nice choppers. VERY nice indeed. Both were hard-tails, so the ride was not exactly "BMW-esque". But then BMW-esque wasn't what I was looking for at the time. ;) Since I didn't do much hands-on with respect to refurbishing the engines, I don't know what magic Shooty did with respect to the Ariel heads and gaskets but I never had a problem with them. I know he bored the Indian's cylinders out so they took Chevy 327 pistons. :) I had those two bikes for about 2 years after they were road-worthy. I made A LOT of money on them when I sold them. I haven't owned a bike since.

QuoteThen a 49Hydra glide, 74 cu. 100 mph, +.
:biggthumpup::biggthumpup::biggthumpup:
I've got a story about pegging the speedometer on a 74 I might tell some time.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Nelsdou

Ahem...., back to the thread topic, Cafe Racer;

Due to the vast numbers of Japanese bikes imported into the USA in the last 40 years there are still a surprising number of machines that can be had cheaply and are still in fair shape, and a lot of spare parts can still be obtained.  Just look at your local Craig's List and see the Honda CB350's being pulled out the barns and estate sales. I can remember when people bought those as a run and throw-away item. That particular machine got a lot of attention as a scrambler in the movie The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. Today I saw a '82 CB450 on CL that looked almost new. Posted by a widow clearing out her late husband's garage and since she could not find the key, was selling it super cheap. What temptation!

Bikes of the '80s are my favorite targets. By then most have electronic ignitions, and I hate fiddling with points. Secondly, the horsepower race in that time-frame was strong and the selection of engines in size and power is good, and little to no air emission ****. Third, you can still obtain a lot of parts, both OEM and secondary sources (Check out Partzilla). And fourth, bikes of this era are generally too young to be collectible and are more prone by people to get "rid of" and are therefore CHEAP.

From my tinkering, I've found some aspects of these machines pretty well engineered, with a few shortcuts here and there. In the Cafe-Virago project I was resigned to boring the cylinders for new pistons and rings upon discovering the previous owner had apparently never changed the air cleaner and the element had numerous rotten holes. After tear down and checks and double checks, the bores were still within factory specs! I did replace the cams that showed some pitting and the rockers that had moderate wear.

My experience with Yamaha has been that many parts between models and model years are interchangeable and I would not be surprised if that was not the same case for the other major manufacturers. This also allows some creativity in making your own Frankenstein, function over form, Mad Max kind of machine. I went the Cafe Racer route in eliminating anything unnecessary for performance/reliability. No plastic origami-insect look for me!  However, I am now considering a conversion to a Scramber that can be done by simply exchanging front and rear 18 inch wheels from a XZ550 Vision mounted with dual-sport knobbies and a dirt tracker handlebar. Oh, and a rock grill for the front headlamp.

For you Triumph-bashers out there and anyone reading this thread; a point of history.  Triumph Engineering Co, LTD went bankrupt in 1983. The name and manufacturing rights were purchased by an individual who established Triumph Motorcycles LTD soon thereafter. It is my understanding that although a few motorcycles were made in the interim to carry on the tradition, the new company started an entirely new set of designs and factory(s) with production starting in 1991. The first model year of my Thruxton was 2004. Although it looks similar to the Bonnies of the '70s, that is where the similarities end. I have never experienced vibration, "buzzing", or oil leaks from this machine, an air and oil cooled 865cc parallel twin. And it doesn't go potato-potato-potato either.

To sum it up, now is a tinker's dream for older Japanese motorcycles. I wish I could stash away a few more!
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Not a basher, only speak from experience.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

In the grand scheme of things, I find it encouraging to see any form of mechanical renovation, be it restoring old firearms, or old cars, or old bikes, or old watches, or... We have some skilled folks here, and it's a privilege to see their work. I'm looking forward to more pictures of bikes and cars and guns and...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Ahhh drinksgin Triumph was always based in Coventry in fact I have the book of the company history here as well as "It's a Bonnie". The two gentlemen who founded Triumph were indeed Germans but they lived in Coventry England. One became Mayor of Coventry City.

They chose the name Triumph as it means the same thing in many European languages.

Don't forget that Triumph made bicycles and cars as well as motorcycles the car division was sold off some time in the 1930's I believe. The pre war Dolomite was a handsome car and I have some photos of one here:-

Now I owned two Triumph motorcycles the 79 T140E mentioned and later after it was stolen I ended up with a basket case Triumph 21 a 350cc twin (21ci) that was rebilt as a sort of cafe racer/street scrambler with hi level 2 into on exhaust and a slim thin seat. 7" Chrome lucas headlamp and alloy mud guards. In fact when I rebuilt it I used a set of new Norton Jubilee rings filed and gaped down to fit the slightly over sized bores.
Go Get them Floyd!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Ha! Eventually found original pic of when I bought the 'prilia - it has orig pipes and front end.

Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Who is Alice? Nice bike.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Was an Italian ISP that used to sponsor a lot of bike racing (motogp etc).
Turvey Stalking

farmboy

Quote from: sakorick;142746Who is Alice? Nice bike.

A song asks that same question!

farmboy

What's your thoughts on motor guzzi?

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Moto Guzzi 850 le mans....always liked that one!
Turvey Stalking

farmboy

I found a moto guzzi centrauro for sale they were never imported to Canada just eighty of them to the USA anyhow at least one got brought up here I really live the look of it but not sure I have enough to get it. Anyhow hopefully somebody else buys it before I get my money for my little bike.

farmboy

How's your project coming along?

farmboy

With spring here in the northern hemisphere how are everybody's bike project coming along?

gitano

I long gave up on "bike projects"!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: