ATVs - Hunting & Around The House

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), December 15, 2006, 07:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

These two ATVs (Utility Vehicles) really appeal to me.  Both are diesel, both would work very well to travel the woods and get game out.

The top picture is the Polaris Ranger and the bottom picture is the Kawasaki Mule.  They have bench seats and are capable of being very comfortable in bad weather.

The Polaris is said to have the smoothest ride and will perk along in the mid 40 mph range.  The Kawasaki is more in the mid 20 mph range.

Any thoughts?

nrthrn_maine_hunter

If you don't need the extra speed, the Kawasaki would be a workhorse.  Owned a kawasaki atv for like 6 years and never had a problem with it.  My uncle has owned a kawasaki prarie 400 for well over 10 years and has worked it hard the whole time with out any problems.  
Polaris' are more extravigant, but from my experience, they are not made to last like Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha, nor is their ride to my personal liking.  
I dont know if Honda makes anything that you are looking for, but my father owns a 1987 Honda and has changed the oil in it maybe 10 times.  Still runs like a dream.  Honda is definately the most reliable ATV out there if they have what you are looking for, can't kill the things.
God is Love!
Justin
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Hey again,
Did some research on these utility vehicles cuv I'm a bit OCD.  TO me, looks like the Yamaha Rhino 660 seems to be the leader in most areas.  Not sure if it matches up to what you are looking for, but seems to have most everything.  Just something to look at if you havn't already.
God is Love!
Justin

Daryl (deceased)

Jay,

Before you buy, try to take a look at the Yamaha Rhino.

Between the two you list, I really like the Polaris the best.  From what I've experienced, the Mule can be sort of a rough ride if you're in it very long.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

M. R. Byrd

Jay,
I have a 1997 Polaris 6 x 6 with 425 cc engine. I bought it to use at the ranch and it does get a workout. It has over 5,000 miles on it and many are pretty rough miles. It returned from elk camp again this year and was a work horse there, as usual. I use it on my elk hunting trip, but I do not use it for elk hunting, I am a foot hunter and that I will remain. The new Polaris 6x6 Ranger has some things that I would really like to have: 1) larger engine(mine is under powered for some of the steep climbs, especially when loaded with 600-1000 pounds; 2) It has side by side seating in the front, verses my motorcycle seating; 3) a jump seat is available in the back; 4) has a roll cage; 5) engine is fuel injected, which would really help at the higher elevations.

I do have plans to purchase another ATV and when I do I will look at them all, but with my past success with Polaris will look at the Ranger 6 x 6.

God Bless,
Maynard Reece
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Jay Edward (deceased)

I sure appreciate your replies fellas.  I believe that the Polaris might be what I'm looking for due to two reasons:

1) The Polaris has had some excellent reviews from ATV online magazines as to the 'ride'.  This becomes very important when your back is considered in rough country.  I don't recall the Rhino as being commended in this area.  

2) Do not forget the 2nd part of the title of this thread: "& Around The House".  You note that I showed each in the snowplow configuration.  This is another basic configuration as Winter lasts somewhat longer than Hunting Season.

In my original post I mentioned that both the Mule and the Ranger under consideration were 'diesel' and that is something that I've only had in my trucks.  It must be just as worth consideration since this variation (gas or diesel) is offered for both of these Utility Vehicles.

For my personal use the Vehicle would boil down to snow removal, hunting and cruising the woods during the summer.  I, too, hunt on foot and I would be loathe to leave such a rig behind while I was wandering around in the woods.  There are two reasons for this as well:

1) Theft.

2) You have to return to the Vehicle to use it for hauling the game out to the truck.  This temptation really appeals to me but you become dependent on it rather than considering how to get the game out to the truck on your own.  I think the chances of hauling the game home in the Utility Vehicle would be the exception rather than the rule.

Brithunter

Hi Jay,

Now I don't know if these are imported into the US but seriously they are awsome bits of kit. Not only an ATV but amphibious as well :D

Argocat

Used extensively in Scotland for recovery of Red Deer and is available in 6x6 or 8x8 configuration or tracked.

http://www.argocat.net/

Ahhh it seems they come from Canada so I am assuming that they are available in the US ;) :-

QuoteAmphibious ARGO vehicles have been manufactured in Canada by Ontario Drive and Gear since 1967
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

So they are not a "new idea" at all and time proved :p what more could one ask for ? ...................... OK free would be nice ;) Diesel powdered too if you want and has the snow plough option.

http://www.argocat.co.uk/

http://www.argoatv.com/

Well I hope that helps :D .
Go Get them Floyd!

RatherBHuntin

While in Texas I had a fella pull me and my pick up out of a lil ol mudhole with his John Deer Gator, I was real appreciative.  Cousin has a Kubota 4 wheel Diesel utility vehicle at the camp during the winter, and we use the heck out of it.  Me personally, plan on getting a Honda ATV in the spring.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Yep, Brithunter has the right idea. THose things are a boat, atv, SUV, everything all in one. THey are unbelievable and I totally forgot about this one when I replied, but it is what I have been trying to convince my father to buy for a while now(6x6 Frontier). Seem to have everything u are looking for, not sure of the speed they are capable of though.
These things go through anything!!!
God is Love!
Justin

Jay Edward (deceased)

Man!!!  You guys had me tail-chasing all over the place.

The Argocat: I couldn't find a website selling this in the U.S. nor did I see one picture with snow blade.  However... if I was going on a operational mission with Navy S.E.A.L.s, I would consider it as a prime candidate.  It sure looks neat!

The John Deere:  I couldn't find one with a snow blade mounted on it.  However, it sure had a lot of attachments you could pull behind.  I wouldn't feel comfortable using it unless I had a straw cowboy hat.:)

The Kubota:  There is a dealer in Missoula and I might go by and look again but they don't quite seem to be Utility Vehicle type configurations.

Snow, Men!  Snow!  Think long driveway that slopes pretty good with a irritating curve near the bottom.  Right now I'm using my Cub Cadet... the big one.  I have a blade on the front, wheel weights, chains and a fabric cab.  

Buttttttt... you just can't use this rig out in the woods  AND it only seats one.  I want the best of both worlds where I can plow, mow and cruise the wooods.  Now let's put those lead plated thinking hats back on and deal with all my needs.  However, it dosen't absolutely have to have a cup holder.

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Brithunter said it had the plow option, and if you click on the link he has on his post (the one that ends in ".com") and products at the bottom of the screen, u will see the 6x6. But you wont even need to plow if u have one of these, just drive it around all winter.

buckshot roberts

:D Jay I like the polaris, but we can not have the big ATV's like them in the game reserve's here, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: nrthrn_maine_hunter;54451Brithunter said it had the plow option, and if you click on the link he has on his post (the one that ends in ".com") and products at the bottom of the screen, u will see the 6x6. But you wont even need to plow if u have one of these, just drive it around all winter.

I did go to Brithunter's URL and I also did an internet search... fine for the UK but not very good for the U.S.  Every site I went to led me back to the UK.

As far as my driving "it around all winter", I believe you are missing the point: Not only do  I need to have the driveway clear for folks who don't have 4WD and are a little reluctant to walk uphill in the snow... but I HAVE TO HAVE a way for the fuel oil truck to be able to fill my tank for the furnace.  

Not only does he have to be able to get up the driveway... he needs an area where he can turn around as well.  For that matter... my love needs to have an area where she can turn around her little car.

nrthrn_maine_hunter

i was just playin about the all winter thing. as for the link returning u back to the UK, not sure why, it's connecting me right to the site.
//www.argoatv.com

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well the link in nrthrn_maine_hunter's post takes you to the home site and there are links there to their dealer nework in the USA. Now Jay Monatana is it? This should let you see who is where :-

http://odg.orc.ca:3000/dealerLocator.php

The argo can turn virtually in it's own length. A fellow at the gun club brought one a while back to use in Scotland and he used a few weeks back to recover a couple of Hinds across a few flooded streams and bogs.

The Oil truck IS important as is SWMBO's (She Who Must Be Obeyed) car turning place.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: