Australian Deer

Started by Shotgunhemi, February 08, 2005, 03:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgunhemi

Hello everyone. In the next few weeks I shall be putting up some posts on the deer we have here in the great land down under. Sorry for posting them in this forum but theres really no where else I could post them, I got permission from Jay anyway:p

'In the '50s and '60s of the 19th century, the idea of acclimatization of animals and plants was receiving worldwide attention. Acclimatisation societies had been formed in England and France, as well as other parts of the world, with a view to what was then thought to be a more equitable distribution of the worlds most useful and beautiful species. The number of beneficial introductions into Australia essential for the development of a European culture was astronomical.

The importations of deer were not merely the whims of irresponsible and wealthy pioneers; they were the results of careful planning to bring about a standard of lifestyle and experience associated with the norms of European culture at the time.'

An introduction to the deer of Australia, Arthur Bentley.

So, as we have already figured out, deer were an introduced species down here in Australia.:eek:  As were rabbits and foxes, but I am concentrating on deer at the moment. Deer were introduced here between the early 1830s and 1900. As much as 26 different species of deer were imported in order to free and hopefully populate the land. The vast majority of these did not succeed except for six different species. They are what we Aussies call 'The Big Six'.:D  What are they you ask? Well, you're just going to have to wait and see. They say that there are more deer out there now than there have ever been before......
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Shotgunhemi

O yeah, I forgot to mention, feel free to post your own experiences of your hunts down here in Australia. Sorry for invading your forum Springbuck
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Springbuck

No worries mate.  Welcome to the forum.  I am in particular interested in stories regarding the hunting of Buffalo in the Northern Territories.  I am also aware that you have a tremendous wild pig population and that a lot was done to control the rabbit numbers.  Looking forward to read some more.  Now we just have to figure a way how to beat you in cricket?  Rugby we seem to be on top at present!

Springbuck

Shotgunhemi

Ill see if i can find you some stories on our buffalo Springbuck. I dont hunt game that big though. Yeah, we got heaps of wild pigs and rabbits. I havn't had the chance to hunt pigs but have hunted a few rabbits. They tried using 1080 poison on the rabbits but it did more worse than good. Im sorry, but i dont really follow the rugby. Im not really into cricket much but i went to my first game a month ago and it was sooo much fun. It was the one-dayer final Aus vs Pak. Beat us in cricket? I dont think that anyone can beat the Aussies! just kidding mate
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Springbuck

Thanks Chris

Looking forward to the different postings.  Read an article a few days ago about the tremendous impact that the alien vegatation is having on your environment.  Also something about a alien frog species that was introduced from Hawaii.

Springbuck

Tags: