"Kentucky Elk"

Started by buckshot roberts, November 28, 2006, 04:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:D They say O'l Kentucky has the Lagrest free wild elk herd east of Montana, maybe so but they are not so free with the elk tag's, never got one out of 200 just one went to my county, and thats were they are all at, saw two monday when squirrel hunting They were just across the "Chief" Redbird river taking a rest around 3 pm,  and one today when  rabbit hunting, we walked up on him nap'n this morning, and he was not so happy, all are with in a mile of  my home, so maybe next year I may get lucky and bust  O'l Jake, enjoy,
:cool: Being my belly was eating on my backbone  it was hard to pass them up,:D  I got with in 10 feet a time or two could have put a saddle on him:cool: "Yee Haw" I can ride anything with hair on it, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Daryl (deceased)

Good pictures, Ron!

Thanks for sharing.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

MountainMafia

I never get tired of looking at elk or photos of those fellows. All I can see is elk steak on the hoof:rolleyes:

What is the estimated size of the elk herd in Kentucky? Sure hope you get lucky and draw.
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

buckshot roberts

:) They said it was ahead of schedule by 11 years, around  7,400 Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Stryker

Great pics, Ron. I was reading sometime last year a guide from Montana said Kentucky will have the best trophy herd in the country in about 10-15 years. Here are some other pics from the 2006 quota hunt.

http://fw.ky.gov/elkhunt06a.asp
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

buckshot roberts

:D Stryker, yep them is some cool looking Elk, me and my friend i rabbit hunt with kinda guided two hunters onetime, if you ever get a tag, get with me, because I see them just about all the time when out hunting, I can put you in the right spot for a big one, Ron

Stryker

Ron,
If I ever draw a tag I will definately take you up on that offer.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Hunterbug

Thoes are some nice lookin elk. Hopefully you'll get a tag soon and we can see some real close pictures. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

MountainMafia

It looks like Kentucky elk are on their way. Those are nice looking rag-horn (immature bulls) and given another year or two will likely be dandies. Of course they're best eating at this age.

Is sure is surprising how these elk can disappear when you start to hunt them. the photo is of a 3 1/2 year old bull my son took this fall in an area near Estes Park, Co.
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

Vermonster

Quote from: buckshot roberts:D I got with in 10 feet a time or two could have put a saddle on him:cool: "Yee Haw" I can ride anything with hair on it, Ron

Hah.  That might have made the "Anything funny ever happen...." thread :D

MM,

I used to go up to Estes Park to look at the Elk whenever I'd visit my friend in Boulder.  Funny seeing fullgrown elk just laying 5 feet from someone's doorstep, and also seeing the trees on the main street that were all rubbed... Pretty Cool.....

recoil junky

Humph!!!!!!! I've seen bigger racks on jackalopes!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm kidding. It's good to see elk reintroduced to their old habitats and thriving. Thanks for the info. I guess I didn't know Kaintuck had an active elk population. Did you see them on your way to the still??  :D

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Hiker

Wow! 7,400 is more then I thought. They must be doing well in KY. Hopefully you'll draw a tag in the future.

buckshot roberts

:DStryker, someday take the time and drive the 1 1/2 hour trip down, we have an RV park were you can view them,  back upon one hill top my wife and I saw 30 in one spot back in the summer, I have a family member who run the trailhead office, I set ya up;) it has some very nice ATV trails,

:rolleyes:Still ? when I get back home I'll show ya a still, LOL it's not been working now for years, buy it's still cool to look at;)

:DYep thats what my old hunting buddy said, your getting to close,and when he get's ya, "I'LL TAKE THE PICS", As for tag's I'll still put in for one, have been for the last 4 years, maybe I'll see some more next week, Ron

Paul Hoskins

Ron, I'm afraid the boys at #1 Game Farm Road are going to let things get out of hand with the elk down there like they have the deer up here. It has got to the ridiclous stage in the Northern Counties of Ky. as far as deer are concerned............No limit on does here..........Paul H

bowhunter 51

Great pics, Ron!....I had no idea the elk took off that well up there!...I don't
think they faired that well here from the "Land betwix the Lakes" intro some
years back. You Kentuckians' have inspired me today...:smiley: ............BH51..out
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: