Just my luck

Started by Antler3, December 22, 2004, 03:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antler3

muzzleloading deer season ended Monday, so Tuesday I went out and tried to call some yotes in. Used the fawn in distress and hear come a doe. LOL. Just my luck see the varmits during deer season and the deer during varmit season LOL. :D
ANTLER 3

rockinbbar

That IS the way it goes sometimes.
At least the doe had mothering instincts....Even if it wasn't her fawn....LOL.

There is always next time. Gives us something to look forward to..:)

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

RatherBHuntin

Never thought about using a distress call during deer season, might have to check it out next bow season.  Too bad about your muzzleloader season, you can take out your frustration on them lions and yotes.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Antler3

RatherBHuntin, the distress call does work sometimes for deer. A fawn in distress will even bring in bucks on occasion. I've never personally had a buck come in but have heard of it happening. During predator season I've had the does come in using the rabbit in distress call. Like Rockin' mentioned I do believe it's the mother instincts that cause them to come in. And I also believe it would work better early season as the fawns are not that old yet. Although after muzzleloader season the other day I had the doe to come in. It's nice just to sit and watch them without concentrating on making a shot. I learn alot about the animals by watching them.

Plan to get out after the varmits real soon now. This morning would have been a good morning at 9* but just couldn't bring myself to get out Burrr!!!  LOL.
ANTLER 3

RatherBHuntin

Thats what I was thinking Antler3, our bow season is early when some of the fawns are still spotted.  Might get a big fat doe to walk in, and if the freezer is full early, that would let me concentrate on other more handsome deer.  Just something different.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Kit

Quote from: Antler3distress call does work sometimes for deer. A fawn in distress will even bring in bucks on occasion. I've never personally had a buck come in but have heard of it happening.
I recently read The_Gift_of_the_Deer, a true account by Helen Hoover.  Actually what I found was a condensed version in the Reader's Digest Condensed Books series (1968).   (Browsing Condensed Book spines in thrift stores is a worthwhile past-time.)

I found it fascinating and informative.  One thing I recall is their observation that bucks will look after orphans.  I suppose their paternal herding instincts to be as strong as a mother's maternal instincts.

I suspect that the curiosity of the deer would be more likely to interest them in a wounded bunny, or else it's a calling tool that is off the mark in some imperceptible way.  It was recently pointed out to me in another thread that the deer are extremely curious unless danger is perceived.  But  a deer mothering a bunny, now, then...hmmm....

By the way, this same condensed book anthology had a section by Dwight Eisenhower that was also *great*!

I think I'll copy this to the 'favorite author' thread too.

Blessings
 ~Kit

Antler3

Never knew a buck to look after a little one. During the rut phase they will run them off. Also could the bunny sound, at a distance, resemble the fawn in distress ??? Could be curiosity.....Whatever works... LOL. :)
ANTLER 3

Kit

Quote from: Antler3... could the bunny sound, at a distance, resemble the fawn in distress ??? Could be curiosity.....Whatever works... LOL. :)
OMG...I just figured it out!!!!!  It is *BOTH* ! ! ! ! !

It's because the bunny sounds so much like a jackalope which is half deer. So they have to go see if it's one of theirs just in case!

I can't believe I didn't equate these two until now...so embarrassed...

My sincerest apologies.

~Kit

Antler3

Quote from: KitOMG...I just figured it out!!!!! It is *BOTH* ! ! ! ! !

It's because the bunny sounds so much like a jackalope which is half deer. So they have to go see if it's one of theirs just in case!

I can't believe I didn't equate these two until now...so embarrassed...

My sincerest apologies.

~Kit
Hey !!  Well dugh...Silly me I never thought of that either, I think you may be right ! I've never had the opportunity to hear a jackalope, but would imagine they would sound alot like a fawn in distress or a bunny ? :rolleyes:
ANTLER 3

Antler3

Anyone know what sound these critters make ?

By the way ....  This is a buckaroo. :D
ANTLER 3

Kit

Quote from: Antler3Anyone know what sound these critters make ?

By the way ....  This is a buckaroo. :D
Well, if you are out calling with that bunny call and you draw in a kangaroo then you will know that the buckaroo fawn sounds like a jackalope fawn.

Otherwise, I can only surmise...
 ~Kit
 :cool:

Oregoneric

That is hillarious! That looks like a critter that I wouldn't wanna get in a tangle with! I've seen the way a roo can punch, make ali look slow.

But seriously, the fawn in distress call WORKS during deer season.  The deer do one of two things, they run right for you at a dead heat, or they leave in a big hurry. The most important thing is that it gets up deer that are bedded down, or that are in heavy cover. We were just over in Vale and had a group of 7 does, with a 3 point come right at us bleating the whole way. The lead doe got within 2 FEET of my girlfriend. She stood there with a VERY PISSED look on her face with her tounge hanging out until the girlfriend finally screamed. I have blasted that sound into canyons and watched the place explode with deer. It's really fun during the rut, as the bucks follow the does no matter where they go. Unfortunatly Oregon doesn't offer a mule deer hunt during the rut. Oh yeah, it works pretty good for coyotes too.

Antler3

Yes for sure, it does work...I've had the does run in on several occasions. Mostly during predator season LOL. It also works for yotes and bobcat.

A family member told me today that he had watched a tape of three yotes taking down a six point buck.
That being the case, I feel I need to take all the yotes I can, outa my deer hunting woods. I was under the impression for some reason that the yotes only took the small and weak , which is enough to hunt them , but knowing they do, take any and all, is even more reason to get after them. Have a three day rifle hunt for deer beginning tomorrow, then lookout yotes here I come LOL.   :D
ANTLER 3

Kit

Quote from: Antler3...A family member told me today that he had watched a tape of three yotes taking down a six point buck.... Have a three day rifle hunt for deer beginning tomorrow, then lookout yotes here I come LOL. :D
Good luck!  and Have FUN!  

Any possiblity that buck was ill or injured already?  Did they comment on that?

I'm trying to stay on top of yote info because they come rather close to us - early this morning they came carroling and I'm pretty sure my mastiff will take out the fence to get them if they come too close at a time he can see them.

So far so good, they have not eaten anything that belongs to me!
 ~Kit

Tags: