Shotgun for coyotes

Started by Rich Cronk, September 11, 2008, 06:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Cronk

Those of you who call coyotes in thick cover have likely recognized the  advantage that a good shotgun could be.  The recent arrival of the high density shot that is made from a tungston Tungsten mixture has made it possible to tune a  12 gauge shotgun so that it delivers coyote killing patterns every time, way out to 50 yards or more. I have tested and tuned choke/load combinations for several shotguns in past several years. Since the new 3&1/2" magnum fodder became available, I became interested in trying the big boomers. I didn't want to punish myself with the recoil of a standard 3&1/2" pump gun, so I recently shelled out the bucks for a new Beretta A391, gas operated "Extrema2. It was available at my local Bass Pro shop in Mossy Oak's "duck blind" camo, so I picked that one. I am going to try posting a photo of recent pattern I shot with this gun at fifty yards. Choke tube is a Kicks Gobbling Thunder XXFull, which is a .680 I.D.  Fodder was Hevi-shot 3" "dead coyote".

subsonic

That's really interesting!

How does that thing shove you around compared to a 3" in a pump?

What does that pattern look like at about 10yd?

subsonic

BTW, I have seen your name in Jerry Blair's book.....

Rich Cronk

"That's really interesting!

How does that thing shove you around compared to a 3" in a pump?

What does that pattern look like at about 10yd?"
-------------------------------------------
subsonic,

The gas operated semi-auto soaks up quite a lot of recoil.  Although a 3&1/2" load of Winchester #4 BUCK that holds 54 pellets does hurt a little if you don't hold the butt tightly against your shoulder, it really don't feel uncomfortable to me. I shoot while sitting on a camp stool, and use a long pair of shooting sticks to steady the gun while testing. I don't think I will even notice the recoil when shooting a coyote.

Your second question is where the problem is, if you wish to save the fur.  At ten yards, this bugger will kill the coyote very dead, skin it for me, and throw pieces of coyote everywhere most likely. :bandana:

Daryl (deceased)

Looks like a tight paterning shotgun, Rich.

I'm not sure if I'd want one to pattern all that good for close in type calling in the catclaw and such.  

A hunting buddy and I have sort of settled on a system that works pretty well for us.  He more times carried a 12 gauge pump with #4 buck,and I carry a rifle.

Anything that gets in close, he shoots.  Anything that hangs up, or seems hesitant to come in, and I use the rifle.

In tight brush, sometimes we both use shotguns, and in open country we'll both use rifles most of the time.

I might switch to a handgun this year, just for fun. ;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Nothing like a good pattern on a shotgun for those yotes.

I don't need one often, but when I do need one, I need it bad, on multiple close-in, hard chargers....

I have a Mossberg 835 UltiMag. It'll make short work of them to 50 yards for sure.
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Gmoney

Great pattern Rich...
I can like that a lot...

I can like this one a lot as well.
Remington 870 Ultra-Mag 3" #4 Buck. Hastings .640" choke. Target at 43 steps. All pellets in the pattern are visible...

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Tags: