Someone Left Me This

Started by recoil junky, November 05, 2012, 01:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

Whole cow elk! :sweetheart: Boy it sure looks tastey!!!

No, not really, Hunterbug called me the other day and asked if he could leave his elk in my shed if they were so fortunate. I dion't know the story but there were supposed to be two. The other one musta got away.

I'm sure he'll fill us in.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

RatherBHuntin

Think he would notice maybe just a smidg of neck meat missing here and there, just enough for a stew? :food04:
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Quote from: recoil junky;122802what tenderloins :greentongue:

Rj

:MOGRIN:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Musta clubbed it to death.........   no bullet holes.  :confused:

Vermonster

MountainMafia

Now there is some mighty fine eating
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

Hunterbug

We finally got it all cut up and put away so now I can sit down and share the story. I left  on Friday the 3rd with my friend David to meet my wifes uncles and my friend Spencer to hunt. Spence wasn't hunting, just tagging along. Saturday Tom, Bob, and I went to the area where Bob and I had tags while Spence took David out to try to find a bull.

Here's a buck antelope near where we were camped. They were thick as thieves this year.

A doe mule deer on Saturday.

A small buck. He didn't care that we were there.

All the elk that we saw on Saturday were too far for a shot and heading farther away! Right at sunset we decided to head back to camp. Tom was driving and asked if we should take the high road back or go along the bottom. I said down low. We were driving when I spotted 5 or 6 cows walking along the hill side. Tom stopped the truck and Bob sat there looking at them out the window. I was in the back seat and this truck had suicide doors so I yelled at Bob to open the door! We piled out and the elk weren't sure what to do. I racked a shell into my 338 and picked out a nice cow. At the shot I heard the hit and she turned, limping. I racked in another shell as she quartered away and fired again. I heard the hit and she dropped. In the mean time a calf stepped out and Bob dropped it with his second shot.

Here's Bob with his "small cow". He kept telling us not to call it a calf so we called it a little elk.

We found the little elk right away but mine took some looking for. Tom found it first and said that it was a nice animal, when I saw it I knew that we had our work cut out.

Here she is as we found her.

Here I am with the elk.

My fist shot was low and nicked the left front leg, cutting across the sternum and smashing the right front leg. The second hit behind the ribs and went up into the boiler works. We found that bullet while dressing her.

Here's the group photo on Sunday.

Here's me standing next to the elk in RJs barn. We were so happy to have that to hang her. It kept her cool and out of sight from prying eyes and curious people.

Bob took his elk and headed home on Sunday but the rest of us still had a cow tag and a bull tag to fill so we were back at it.

Here's an area where we hunted.

A western Colorado sunset.

A mulie doe.

Some natural hot springs that we drove by.

Gitano will remember this place, he and Charlie drug a doe out of here. The truck is down at the bottom.

Lunch time!

Tom had a poor shot at a cow but didn't connect. We ended up with just the 2 cows. At one point Spence and David were 40 yards and 20 seconds from 3 bulls according to some other guys who saw them but they didn't see them.

Here's me after a week of not shaving. My wife had to get a pic.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

JaDub

Thanks for the pix HB.  Nice to see everyone had a good time.  

Nice `hat hair` !! :yes:

JaDub

gitano

BIG cow! Congratulations.

Nice story and pics. I also recognize that tent. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

great story!!!! certainly does look like a big cow! did you weigh it at all? God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunterbug

David, unfortunately we did not get a weight. I got about 40 pounds of meat, gave David about the same, and gave Spencer some but I don't know how much. A deer or another elk would have been nice but this will last us a little while.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

I was talking to Gitano this evening and he told me that I never posted a pitcure of the ivories or the bullet that I recovered from this elk. The bullet lost one petal in the elk.

Niccolo Machiavelli

davidlt89

is that bullet a hornady interbond? God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunterbug

It's an original Barnes X. When my stash runs out I'll switch to Nosler Partitions.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: