BSA .22 lr. Supersport 5.

Started by jaeger88, December 13, 2016, 03:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger88

A guy came in the shop on Saturday & brought in an old rifle he  wanted to get rid of as he was giving up shooting. It was an immaculate  .22lr BSA Supersport 5.

We said we could sell it for him, but he said no, just take it.

We didn't argue too much.

Unfortunately  the boss was in the shop at the time, so before I could get my grubby  paws on it, he had a different idea about "getting rid of it", which was  to grab it quick, & bung it into his collection !. :frown :Banghead:

We  had a look on line, and it turns out BSA only made 7197 Supersports 5's, between 1955 & 1967, so it seems its quite a rare beast, especially  in this condition.

The Pecar 3 to 9 scope & Kozap (I think) rings/mounts didn't come with it, but it was the closest "period" scope  we could find.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

sakorick

It's a beauty. I think someone had the stock refinished bur it sure looks like a professional job. Both my old BSA's were finished in Linseed Oil.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

jaeger88

Yea, that varnish looks a little too new & thick & shiny to be either original, or a BSA/UK kind of finish.

Still, I would learned to lived with it, if I could have got my hands on it !.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

gitano

RHIP - Those that are or have been in the military will recognize that acronym as "Rank has its privileges". That's a very nice looking piece!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Paul is right, RHIP. Too bad the boss wasn't off to lunch or something, that's a beautiful piece.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

jaeger88

Like most boss's, he always seems to be around at the wrong time !.  

I wouldn't mind, but he wont appreciate it for what it is, only for what its worth in cold hard cash, so it will go in his collection till someone "crosses his palm", with enough silver.

One thing he HAS got in his collection that he seems to have forgotten about, but is in the shop, & up for sale, for what I believe is a "song", is a Winchester Model 1890 pump/slide action rifle, in .22lr.

I believe its a third  model as it has locking lugs on the bolt.
Its in very good condition, & may have been refinished, as the s/n & other writing doesn't look quite as "crisp", as I think it should. The bore though is excellent.

Any ideas as to what sort of price would that fetch in the US ?, & I will divulge what the current asking price is !.

Will try & post some pic's when I get some.
I cant believe in fate.

gitano

I'm pretty sure that's a valuable firearm in the US. I'll have a look as see what I can find.

Paul

PS - Yeah, I was right. Have a look here: http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-model-1890.cfm?cat_id=466

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Quote from: jaeger88;146668A guy came in the shop on Saturday & brought in an old rifle he  wanted to get rid of as he was giving up shooting. It was an immaculate  .22lr BSA Supersport 5.

We said we could sell it for him, but he said no, just take it.

We didn't argue too much.

Unfortunately  the boss was in the shop at the time, so before I could get my grubby  paws on it, he had a different idea about "getting rid of it", which was  to grab it quick, & bung it into his collection !. :frown :Banghead:

We  had a look on line, and it turns out BSA only made 7197 Supersports 5's, between 1955 & 1967, so it seems its quite a rare beast, especially  in this condition.

The Pecar 3 to 9 scope & Kozap (I think) rings/mounts didn't come with it, but it was the closest "period" scope  we could find.

That is a really nice BSA. Looks like some interesting figure in the stock.

Marcus

Tags: