Parker Hale unveiled

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2005, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j4570

Brithunter,

are you afraid of losing the ramp sunsheild?  Mine is darn near impossible to get off due to the detents.  Or just hitting it on something?

Mine has polished bolt handle and shroud, not blued.  interesting difference.

Mine also had the P-H sling swivels but I changed them out for quick change to use my regular slings.  

I "tucked" the sling swivels and the scope moutn screw plugs safely away also!

8mm Mauser is an excellent round!  I prefer 175gr Sierras and IMR 4320 powder, it's hard to beat in an 8mm.

JW

sakorick

Quote from: j4570;67010Brithunter,

are you afraid of losing the ramp sunsheild? Mine is darn near impossible to get off due to the detents. Or just hitting it on something?

Mine has polished bolt handle and shroud, not blued. interesting difference.

Mine also had the P-H sling swivels but I changed them out for quick change to use my regular slings.

I "tucked" the sling swivels and the scope moutn screw plugs safely away also!

8mm Mauser is an excellent round! I prefer 175gr Sierras and IMR 4320 powder, it's hard to beat in an 8mm.

JW

Hello JW. Not that hard to beat......try some IMR4064....faster and more accurate in all my 8MM's. As for your PH, it's a beauty. Mine is a 1968 version('06) and also a Jana import.....They were the finest of the PH's imported. Here are a few pics from a thread that must be 4 years old! Welcome and regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j4570

sakorick,

nice rifle.  Good to see some 8mm fans here.  My father has a few, I actually don't have any hunting 8mm's.  His recipe was the 175 Sierra with 4320 from the early mid 70's and we have never changed.  Never tried 4064, but an article a few years ago in one of the magazines (when the Remington 700 Classic was offered in 8x57) turned up some disappointing numbers I thought, that our load routinely outperformed, with military barrels I might add.  

Anyway, nice P-H, this is my first.  I do want a 30-06 though, probably not an 8mm, I have enough stuff I have to load for already.

Did they offer them in 280 Remington?, I might would have to buy that 7mm to give it a try!!! (I can't get used to a "270", it should be a 7mm).

JW

sakorick

Quote from: j4570;67013sakorick,

nice rifle. Good to see some 8mm fans here. My father has a few, I actually don't have any hunting 8mm's. His recipe was the 175 Sierra with 4320 from the early mid 70's and we have never changed. Never tried 4064, but an article a few years ago in one of the magazines (when the Remington 700 Classic was offered in 8x57) turned up some disappointing numbers I thought, that our load routinely outperformed, with military barrels I might add.

Anyway, nice P-H, this is my first. I do want a 30-06 though, probably not an 8mm, I have enough stuff I have to load for already.

Did they offer them in 280 Remington?, I might would have to buy that 7mm to give it a try!!! (I can't get used to a "270", it should be a 7mm).

JW

Hello JW. Actually there are many 8mm Mauser fans who are members of THL. There is a wealth of information already posted, however, we will be glad to resurface the high points....http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9130..... Go here and you can read up on the Ugly Duckling, a recent Mauser project of mine(military barrel, Steyr 1944 action). I have my own range and have done extensive testing on the 7 and 8mm Mauser. 4064 is my "go to" powder hands down.

As far as I know, PH never offed a rifle chambered in 280 Remington......Brit Hunter will know for sure as he is a PH affectionado. As a side bar, I don't believe a word the gun writers print. They are paid prostitutes making tons of money on their victims.....not me! I suscribe to Shooting Times, Guns and ammo and the NRA rag, and most articles are untrue with facts omitted. Regards, Rick.

j4570

Rick,

Great info.  I wasn't implying an article turned me off to 4064.  Actually, the article turned me off because they tested every bullet but my favorite 175 Sierra, because Sierra didn't send them any to try (since they didn't get it for free, it must not be good, huh?).  

I agree, I don't read the writers as the "word" either.  It's too political these days.  Never seen a gun absolutely slammed in an article.  

Glad to find a bunch of others that like quality craftsmanship.

Seems like there are a few Mauser chambering fans (ie, 7x57, 8x57, etc.).

JW

Brithunter

Hi All,

Ahh I had forgotten that I had swopped the swivels as well :Banghead:  but yes P-H came with loop swivels which I swopped for the QD studs. I took off the fore sight hood as I am not keen on them for hunting, just a personal thing. The Bolt handle is blacked on this export model, the 7.92mm Chambering was a special order export run, these were soem over-runs offered to the trade here but it was not a normal chambering for P-H. I got it NIB but sorry to say that damp had got into the package and there was some mildew on the butt which I have lessened but it's almost impossible to remove the marks:-

You can see the small black dots nea rthe butt pad.

Here you can see the poor inletting, this one was made during the take over and quality dropped :( I suppose it could be reject?

Straight out of the box.

Now I think it may be possible that York Guns where I got this from may have one left NIB, however it's been soem time since I talked with them and they had a couple left back then. I got mine a few years after they advertised them and they still had a few then. 8mm is not a popular hunting cartridge here, possibly due to the Police who administer the system :Banghead: for some reason they think it's too big to hunt here with.

Oh my 1200V in 6mm Rem has a polished bolt handle, why the difference? and P-H as far as my catalogues go never offered the .280 but then the 7.92mm chamberign is not listed either :greentongue:  however they did make a fair few in 7x64 which is of course about the same.

Oh what is wrong with the .270? although I don't have a P-H in .270 I do have four BSA's so chambered.
Go Get them Floyd!

j4570

Nothing is wrong with a 270 per se, I just don't own one, and it would require me to purchase a new diameter bullet, and I have too many already.  7mm has better bullet selection too.

7x64?  Brenneke?  If I found one for the right price.

Is yours a really recent manufacture gun?

JW

sakorick

Quote from: j4570;67045Nothing is wrong with a 270 per se, I just don't own one, and it would require me to purchase a new diameter bullet, and I have too many already. 7mm has better bullet selection too.

7x64? Brenneke? If I found one for the right price.

JW

If you don't take it please PM me with the details. Regards, Rick.

j4570

sakorick,

I didn't find one in 270 or 7x64.  The guy does have a 308 though.

JW

Brithunter

Quote from: j4570;67045Nothing is wrong with a 270 per se, I just don't own one, and it would require me to purchase a new diameter bullet, and I have too many already. 7mm has better bullet selection too.

7x64? Brenneke? If I found one for the right price.

JW

Hi There,

Right the 1200V 6mm is from 1970 (VB) whilst the 1200 Super in 7.92mm (8mm Mauser) is from 1988 (OC) so yes that is a late one. My 1100 deluxe in 30-06 is from 1984 (KB in a circle) and my final P-H is an 1100M in .458 which was made in 1981 (GB in a circle). Si ti would seem I need some earlier ones does it not?
Go Get them Floyd!

dino

Pesonally I like the 270 as I have two of them and they shoot a very tight and accurate pattern. The only game I have not taken w/ my 270 is a red fallow which the BH is lucky to have and able to hunt in his country. I love the antlers they produce!!!!

Brithunter

Hi Dino,

Hmmm wonder where the "red fallow" bit came from? as there are just Fallow deer, soem are a reddish colour with spots but lots are dark grey and then some are white and others black. Fallow really do spread the spectrum of colourings. this is ayoungster a Buck and you can see his colour this was taken may 2003 in Hampshire:-

You can see the speckling on his coat which is common. Mature Bucks have to be about 5 years old before they start getting the classic Palmated Antlers.

This you Buck should have still been with his mother but she was killed by a vehicle, I passed the fresh body as I drove to my little hunting spot :o I then came across this little lost soul and watched him for some time to see if he was with his Mother but no Doe appeared and he was too young really to make it on his own so I shot him. He made some fine eating but I would not normally have taken the shot he was too young. As you can see this is basically the same darkish grey and this one was shot in the county of Sus*** near the South Downs and Ashdown forrest.

Red Deer are an entirely different genus and are closely related to Elk (Wapiti).
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: Brithunter;67210Hi Dino,

Hmmm wonder where the "red fallow" bit came from? as there are just Fallow deer, soem are a reddish colour with spots but lots are dark grey and then some are white and others black. Fallow really do spread the spectrum of colourings. this is ayoungster a Buck and you can see his colour this was taken may 2003 in Hampshire:-

You can see the speckling on his coat which is common. Mature Bucks have to be about 5 years old before they start getting the classic Palmated Antlers.

This you Buck should have still been with his mother but she was killed by a vehicle, I passed the fresh body as I drove to my little hunting spot :o I then came across this little lost soul and watched him for some time to see if he was with his Mother but no Doe appeared and he was too young really to make it on his own so I shot him. He made some fine eating but I would not normally have taken the shot he was too young. As you can see this is basically the same darkish grey and this one was shot in the county of Sus*** near the South Downs and Ashdown forrest.

Red Deer are an entirely different genus and are closely related to Elk (Wapiti).

That's why they are once in a lifetime in Germany. They are beautiful creatures and extremely skiddish. I saw 5 of them while hunting in Germany.....they are indeed beantiful. Regards, Rick.

Mines1

Hi all
Worked out how to post (not the sharpest knife in the block). Anyone  help with my PH. SN 10642, Birminghouse proof mark, BNP under crown, EB over 2 in a circle.
Thanks.

sakorick

Quote from: Mines1;67230Hi all
Worked out how to post (not the sharpest knife in the block). Anyone help with my PH. SN 10642, Birminghouse proof mark, BNP under crown, EB over 2 in a circle.
Thanks.

Is it a Jana import? The SN from what I remember, would make it an old one. Can you post some pics? I'm sure Brit Hunter will have this one nailed.....it sounds like a Super made around 1970 to me. If it has a gold trigger and the Jana import with a polished bolt/shroud .....that's my best guess. Does it have a S prefix in the SN????? Regards, Rick. PS a real sharp knife is not required here!:biggthumpup: .

Tags: