69 Mustang in my future

Started by recoil junky, July 06, 2007, 06:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

Yup, Holleys (ptooey) leak more gas than they put into the engine.

When I was still on the ranch we had a NewHolland bale wagon with a 460 and a Holley 750 on it. Durn thing backfired one morning on startup, blew the air cleaner off and caught the top of the engine on fire. I was throwing dirt as fast as I could to get the fire out. :sweatdrop: Musta been 200 pounds of dirt on the engine before Dad came along with a fire extinguisher. Good thing too, because I hated bucking bales by hand. The Holley (ptooey) was a melted mass of aluminum when it was all said and done. Put an Edlebrock on it and never looked back.

I've got 2 Holleys (ptoey) on the shelf. They will become targets unless I can give them to someone.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

RatherBHuntin

So let me get this right RJ....are you saying you don't like Holley's?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

recoil junky

I love Holleys (ptooey) almost as much as gitano loves loves gun writers (ptooey) :D

I think I will post some before and after pictures of what a .357, .44 AND a 45-70 can do to a Holley (ptooey) 750 double pumper.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

kombi1976

Geez!!
I wonder if Paul has some pics of what a .357, .44 and a 45-70 can do to a gun writer? :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

recoil junky

LMAO Kombi, that is purty darn funny!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

RJ

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: kombi1976;90070Geez!!
I wonder if Paul has some pics of what a .357, .44 and a 45-70 can do to a gun writer? :D

Nah I dont think he has any pictures of "holy" gun writers, Paul would have sense enough not to take pictures.;)
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

noel

RJ;i don't know if that service manual was printed before they split off the EVTM but if the wiring etc is not in it check alldata. you can buy a vehicle specific subscription for about 17bucks and it has everthing(alldata.com) as for the comment earlier about wearing out from years in the trade,I sympathize there. if you count the time I spent working as a kid I've got almost 40 years in the trade and I notice now it's starting to hurt a bit to work.these big truck parts aren't getting any lighter and they're jamming them into the most akward places they can! must have hired the engineers from the car side! arghhhh!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

kombi1976

Well, they've probably hired engineers from British cars.
I was at a wreckers once in search of a part for a VW Bus and one guy was there searching for parts for a Triumph 2500.
He asked "How many bolts do you have to undo to remove a VW motor?"
"Easy," I replied, "4 mains bolts once the electric wires, accelerator and fuel lines are removed. How many on a Triumph?"
"Twenty seven," he said with a long suffering look,"and I reckon when they designed it if any of them were easy to get to they simply started again and redesigned it so they were impossible to get to."
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

recoil junky

Sounds like Caterpillar engineers for certain. Ones under 6' tall and under 200#'s, able to contort into positions unfathomable by mortal men.

Back in the day, you used to be able to yank a head off and change it out in a day. Now you can hardly get to the headbolts in under 8 hours let alone do a clean job of gettting a new head back on. We've started pulling the engines on D10R's when we change heads. With Caterpillars quality control of late, chances are we find more wrong than just a bad valve. Saves time, money and mechanics in the long run.

I'll have to get get some pictures of work so you guys can see what I work on there.

RJ

recoil junky

Here's what my killer dog thinks of Holley carbuerators

Gotta watch him, he'll tear your leg off. :D

RJ

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Quote from: recoil junky;90131Here's what my killer dog thinks of Holley carbuerators Gotta watch him, he'll tear your leg off. :D

RJ
Fair dinkum, RJ, you're a mad bugger. :D
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

He only "attacks" when provoked, playing or when me and the lil' missus are having a row. He's a tuff lil' blighter. It's all in good fun.

Well here's the latest up-date. Give a listen. There's some bad news as well.:angry:

kombi1976

RJ, that exhaust is SUBLIME!!
I'm very jealous.
That will go like stink when you get it all back together.
Pity about the wiring but better now than when you're motoring along.
Cheers & God Bless

recoil junky

Yeah, it'll be a corker all right!! On "paper" it'll be in the neighborhood of 325-350 hp. More than enough I would think. It won't be very miserly on petrol, but that is not why one has a Mustang :D

Here's some pictures of the wiring. It won't be too bad of a fix. I picked up wire today for the repair. I got sizes and colors to match, so ut won't look repaired when I'm done.
just a little burnt

the cause

the mess

This will be easy compared to some of the messes I get into at work. ;)

RJ

Tags: