Another afternoon on the bunnies....but without the sun

Started by kombi1976, July 07, 2008, 05:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

This afternoon myself and a mate from Sydney headed out to the bunny infested property only to find that.......it wasn't infested any more, or at least not as much.
It was cooler with rain closing in and the few that were there soon got skittish and disappeared.
In the end we had to wait until dark and under the lights of my mate's late model Land Rover Discovery III we nailed 4; 2 from his H&R/NEF Sportster 17HMR and 2 from my BSA Martini Cadet sporter in 25-20.
Neither of us had a great deal of luck in the accuracy department.
His seemed to survive shots that sounded like good hits and my longer shots were attrocious.
We both need some more practise.
But 4 bunnies is 4 bunnies so here's a pic of them on my '68 Land Rover pickup and yours truly resplendent in my new hat on its first hunt:

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

RatherBHuntin

Now that's a nice lookin hat!  Good job on the bunnies
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

Looks like you had a good hunt, kombi.  Congrat's!

Oh, I like that hat too. ;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: Well doggie.......them is some nice look'n rabbits.... the only thing that would make them look any better is if they were on a big plate.......thats one fine looking truck....Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

davidlt89

Fine looking rabbits, I do enjoy hunting them. never tried hunting them with lights though, state kinda frowns on that.:biggthumpup:  should be some good eating. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

kombi1976

Thanks, lads.
I thought you might like the hat.
As far as the bunnies go I would've liked to skin them but 2 went to the owner's dogs and the other 2 were pretty messy and not worth the trouble.
Plus it was cold and wet and I wasn't really inclined to skin any in the rain.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Paul Hoskins

Congrat's. Kombi, ...........You should try fried rabbit with gravy made in the same pan and biscuits. Just about my favorite meat.   ...........Paul H

gitano

Quotehis H&R/NEF Sportster 17HMR

QuoteHis seemed to survive shots that sounded like good hits

Heck, being a .17 HMR, I expected you to say there weren't any pieces big enough to be picked up after the bunny exploded at the shot. :)

Even though you may not have found as many as you figured, it's always nice to get out and 'get some', no matter what "it" is.

Since you're on the 'bottom of the world', you must be about in the middle of Winter, and coming up on Spring.

Speaking of jacklighting, (what we call using a spotlight to hunt with), do you guys ever use actual spotlights?. Here's a 3.5 million-candle-power battery operated spotlight for US$25. It's easier than trying to position your auto's headlights on moving targets. Or so I'm told... ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Yesterday I shot a 12 to 14 pound snapping turtle in the top of the head with the 17 HRM from about 8 inches from the muzzle. Did a number on the top of the head but didn't even penetrate the lower jaw. Turtles have a head like a Jersey bull. Smell about like one too but good eating.   ..........Paul H

gitano

So Paul, did you fix that turtle up? I love snapping turtle. In fact, what did you do with its shell? Did you take pics? Did you and your bother catch any fish?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: