Standard Cartridge Series - .270 Winchester

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 28, 2004, 08:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

Again it all depends on the situations, on another forum I go on there is a guy who is culling on a professional basis, for some of this he uses a 22-250, now this is from a steady rested position and the shots are mainly head and neck ones, for him in that situation it works, another time when he was walking the woods he took a 45/70 single shot and that too worked, use the right tool in the right situation and everythign is well.
Go Get them Floyd!

M1Garand

Well, like I said, it's been done and if he's taking head/neck shots and he's a pro I'm sure he know's what he's doing.  Heck there's guys who have shot deer with .22 LR's.  But for general hunting I wouldn't recommend a .22 centerfire.

swede

The rifle i use for most of my hunting is a 270 winchester. I have taken deer, moose, elk and bear. I am quite comfortable shooting at all this game with it. So i see no reason to change to a another rifle to hunt these animals. But i know guys that use 338 magnums and 300 hundred magnums. They say i am under gunned for elk and moose yet when we hunt i take the same amount of game as them.

Brithunter

Hi swede,

Now surely you must be mistaken:eek:  how can you do as well when so seriously undergunned????

:D it must be the "nut behind the but" that makes the difference? :rolleyes:

More power to you, and keep up the good work;)
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Quote from: M1GarandI have to say that I'd much rather see someone with some extra horsepower rather than something with not enough such as the .22 centerfire's. Though I know it's been done, to me, that's asking for a wounded deer.
I'm not looking for a fight here M!1, but correct me where I'm wrong. You "took on" klallen for being over-gunned with a .30 caliber (magnum albeit), and stated
Quoteand a 30-06 is the upper limit of power needed for a deer
, further suggesting that a .243 was "plenty" adding
Quoteesp. the point regarding anything over a .243 can be considered "over-kill" because there was a time I thought that was an ideal caliber for deer and everything over could be considered excessive.
. You also think anything in the .22 caliber is "too small". Let's see, I don't know of any commercially available chamberings above .22 and below .243. Doesn't really leave much room "to move".:eek:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

M1Garand

I didn't word that right and walked into that, LOL....What I meant was I used to believe the .243 was perfect powered for whitetail and that as you moved up, the power started gradually getting excessive. I should have added somewhere that IMO it should be considered the minimum caliber for the general hunter. But in my defense....key words: "there was a time"...past tense. At that time I would've been ok with .22's being used for deer but that was a long time ago and I've learned a lot since and have seen deer shot with .22's and wasn't impressed.

gitano

I did note the past tense of your .243 comment M1. I was just having a little fun at your expense. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

M1Garand

Yeah, yeah, I should have guessed as much..:D

Tags: