Parker Hale unveiled

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2005, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Espanola

Thanks for that BH.
You may notice in one of the close-ups of the trigger the casted PH made in England logo and the letters T M (Timney or is it Trade Mark?) then 98(mauser 98?) / 19....
Also the markings on the underside of the receiver intrige me...a T (sort of) an X and a 7....would these be mauser markings? I wonder where one could find out what those markings mean...perhaps they could be traced to the post war mauser actions that you mentioned?
Mel

Big Banger

I posted this Parker Hale 1200P 30/06 Presentation Model in another forum and it got no views in a week so I am posting it here for those of you PH guys that would like to see it. I bought it a week ago from the original owner who bought it with his first paycheck when he was 15 years old. He said he shot about 5 or 6 boxes of ammunition through it.
Mat

sakorick

Hello Banger. You found a beauty! It is my understanding that the P grade was a Super with the metal work and had no front sight. I don't think many were imported to the US. Does it have 5 numbers in the SN starting with 0? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Sorry but I have been down South since last Friday and got to go back tomorrow to return the trailer I hired to move the 1977 triumph Dolomite that had been stored down there. But this last weekend it was the Heritage fair at Bisley and I had to pop in to drop off some things for my buddy Chris to sell for me :p  and low and behold I picked up a rather nice P-H catalogue & price list from 1973 which has the 1200P in it :D . Right now it's still packed in the Jeep but I seem to recall that the 1200P from reading it that the presentation model could be had with or without sights. I will check on Wednesday as Tuesday is going to be a little hetic :rolleyes: .

Now Bigbanger that view mark you told me about has me confused the first letter needs careful looking at as there is no codes with that one liusted first that I can find. I did look but it's been a bit rushed :o  here sorry !
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

Hi Rick,
Thanks, yes it is a nice rifle. I put a want ad for a Parker-Hale 30/06 on another website and was offerered two of these (from different individuals). The owner of the first one decided to keep it and appologized but said he will contact me if he decides to sell it at a later date. He did some nice modifications to it and it was very nice. I am thrilled to have the one I got as it is original. There are no sights front or rear on this one. The Serial Number starts with a "P" and has five numbers beginning with a 4.
Mat

Quote from: sakorickHello Banger. You found a beauty! It is my understanding that the P grade was a Super with the metal work and had no front sight. I don't think many were imported to the US. Does it have 5 numbers in the SN starting with 0? Regards, Rick.

Big Banger

Hello Brithunter,
I am sorry I confused you again, thats twice now. That first letter is a "W" the second one is hard to read, at first I thought it was an "X" but with a better magnifier it looks like it could be a "B" which I assume makes it a 1971. (same code as my .300 Win Mag).
Thanks again for your help,
Mat

Quote from: BrithunterHi All,

Sorry but I have been down South since last Friday and got to go back tomorrow to return the trailer I hired to move the 1977 triumph Dolomite that had been stored down there. But this last weekend it was the Heritage fair at Bisley and I had to pop in to drop off some things for my buddy Chris to sell for me :p and low and behold I picked up a rather nice P-H catalogue & price list from 1973 which has the 1200P in it :D . Right now it's still packed in the Jeep but I seem to recall that the 1200P from reading it that the presentation model could be had with or without sights. I will check on Wednesday as Tuesday is going to be a little hetic :rolleyes: .

Now Bigbanger that view mark you told me about has me confused the first letter needs careful looking at as there is no codes with that one liusted first that I can find. I did look but it's been a bit rushed :o here sorry !

Big Banger

Hey Guys,
I want to put a vintage scope on that Parker-Hale 1200P, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mat

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Beautiful rifle thar, neighbor!

If the rifle were mine.........I would put a steel Weaver K-6(preferred) or a steel K-4.  However, the new Weaver Classics are a very good scope also.

Ol' John:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Rick

For some reason, I've found that most .30-06s like 50-52 gr of IMR-4064 under a 150 gr bullet.   Start a little lower and work up, as some books show that to be a max load - although it has done fine in at least 4 rifles.   I get 5/8-inch groups with my 1903 Springfield and its original barrel...

Big Banger

Thanks Rick, I will try that after I get a scope on it and I will let you know the results.
Mat

Brithunter

Hi All,

Now I have got home again and actualy looked at the 1200P page properly :p it shows that yes the 1200P did not have iron sights fitted. The confusing part was a picture of a very nicely figured stock on a 1200 Super on the facing page which of course did have iron sights. Doh!:rolleyes: .

Right now Bigbanger,

Yep WB makes sense, the confusing was that the code you gave me ................ well none begin with that letter :confused: . Now as to scopes :p  P-H were agents for Pecar-Berlin, Redfield and Nikko Sterling. If it was me I would go for the pecar 1st (well i would as I already have 3 of them ;) ) and Redfield 2nd. The Refields listed in this catalouge are :-

Widefield 2-7x
Widefield 3-9x
Widefield 4x
Frontier 4x
Redfield 12x

Of course this was in the UK so any early 1970's scope would really be in keeping :p ;) .

The way the advertising Blurb is written in the catalouge it's certainly aimed at the US market hence the Roll over cheek piece and skip line chequering which was not really to the British taste :) .
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

Well thanks again Brithunter! (Mr. Parker Hale) I put a nice old Redfield Widefield 3x9x40 with the built in range finder on a 1972 Browning BLR .308 and I like it but it would be nice to have something different on this one. I will let you know what choose.
Mat

Brithunter

Hmmm as for being called "Mr Parker-Hale" :confused:  it's actually frightening how much I don't know about them :o  but I am learning. It seems that my P-H stuff may now exceed that of my BSA stuff as even unknowingly I have added P-H related items to my collection like those 3 pecar scopes and I now find that P-H were also the importers and agents for Haenel Air Rifles and I have that Model 302 which is listed in this 1973 catalouge :D . I also have a couple of P-H aperture sights. One set for the P-14 or US model 1917 and a set for a Webly Mk111 air rifle.

At the show last Sunday i was very slow :( as I was asked to look at and indentify then advise ona BSA sporting rifle. The first quick glance it looked like my Majestic Feather weight, then I looked more closely and noticed that the cocking piece was different :rolleyes:  so closer inspection revealed that I was holding BSA's first sporting rifle that they designed from the ground up. Yep it was a BSA Hunter with short action chambered in .243 Win. Luckily it carried the same view mark as my Majestic which I had with me so it was a late one made in 1959 :p well for a hunter that is. The bluing was in very fine condition and in fact the only two small things that were against it was tha the fron sling loop had been pulled out of the fore wood and put further back. A fairly common thing as the tip of the fore end is very thin there with the schnabel tip and all and the rubber vented recoil pad had been ground down flat and a piece of leatherette stuck onto to it. Probably to reduce the LOP and the rear sight had been removed but they are available so it's not big deal.

The dealer had not paid all that much for it as as asking about fitting a Moderator to it. I emplored him not to mess with such an oroginal rifle which although has not got a lot of value is actually a collectors rifle now. he agreed with me finally but I should have tried to do a trade as I don't have a Hunter and this was a fine looking rifle :o .
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

Well maybe you don't know everything but you definitely have the sources of information handy. My dad had a Parker Hale .303 British and I would like to get one  but I don't know what model he had. I was not allowed to touch it so I never had a good look at it but I do remember the it was very nice and it had the rosewood forend tip with the white binding and a large drop out clip. Any ideas what model he had? It resembled a 1200. He would have bought it new around 1967.
Mat

Brithunter

Well you are lucky as by chance I noticed them in the catalouge. The action is a No4 Enfield with a new P-H manufactured barrel and new wood of similar style to the 1200, it was called the custom and whilst I do not know of any on offer I do happen to know of new one built by P-H on a No1 Mk111 action, as I had considered buying it last year and in fact saw the guy only last Sunday and he mentioned that he still had it.

I used to have the next model down a Supreme and I do have a No4 sporting comversion which the only thing missing is the P-H marking. Not only that but I saw a rack of 4 Supreme grade .303 sporters for sale on Sunday :rolleyes:  in various conditions. This evening I brought a NIB set of Low P-H 1" RALS 3 rings and in two weeks will be buying another set in 26mm high ones. he also has two one piece mount rails for the .303 sporting conversions which use these rings. it's best to grab them whilst you can now since P-H went under :o .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: