Standard Cartridge Series - 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 20, 2004, 08:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

Oh as for results, well so far I have only shot our lighter deer with any rifle in the UK. Lighter means Roe and Muntjac which weigh between 20lbs and 45lbs normally. I have tried bullets ranging from 160Grn to 100Grn and all work well, the 160Grn actually too well on the Roe Doe at about 90 yards in the wood as she crossed with a group across a forrestry track, the bullet took her in the left side just behind the shoulder and exited through the right shoulder/leg lower down. I was in a ladder seat about 12' off the ground. She spun 180 degrees and ended up facing the way she came DRT. Trouble is that when I shkinned her the whole right shoulder was Bloodshot, the entry was OK but man the exit:confused:  load was 44.0 grns of Rel 19 and WLR in a NNY case. Since then I have not used the 160grn Hornady's since on deer here, I switched to the Speer 120Grn flat based bullets which have bee excellent.

I have also flirted with the Nosler 10 grn Ballistic Tips but they do seem fragile, one absolutely shredded a Dog fox I shot with it at about 75 yards, in fact all but two of the Foxes I have shot have been with the Swedish round. I am also experimenting with the Hornady 129Grn spire points. Trouble is that I tend to rotate what I take out, like last time I took the BSA CF2 7x57, before that it was the BSA Majestic 270W. Perhaps I have too many to choose from:rolleyes: but don't tell anyone I said that;)
Go Get them Floyd!

swede

My brother had a 6.5 -55 swedish . We used 140 grain speers and took bear,moose and deer with it. It shot very good he l0st it in a poker game. Wish he had called me and i would have bought it off of him.

Tags: