Excellent LONG Read on Some Issues Relevant to Seating Depth

Started by gitano, July 22, 2023, 11:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/04/28/bullet-jump-research-and-load-development-tips/

The above article presents some interesting information regarding seating depth and precision loads. I have over the years found that "jammed into the lands", (or even "on" the lands), is a "bad idea" for HUNTING loads. The above suggests it's also a bad idea for target shooters. In the same vein as Optimal Charge Weight, (where the best load is one in which the group size varies least WITH CHANGING CONDITIONS), this idea is that seating depth too has a "sweet spot". In other words, there is a seating depth range that provides the MOST CONSISTENT precision regardless of small changes in throat length etc.

Interesting to me is that their findings that a seating depth of 0.070 to 0.080" off the lands is the most stable. For as long as I can remember, I have always started at 0.050" off the lands and moved "in", (to the case), to find my precision sweet spots. And I found them in "nodes" of ROUGHLY 0.050" increments. While 0.050" is not 0.070" it IS 'close' when considering how the authors of the above measured "on" the lands.

Anyway, if you're interested in the "whys and wherefores" of precision reloading, AND you can put up with a long read, I enthusiastically recommend the above.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.