Correct Me If I'm Wrong About 12GA. Shotguns In Africa

Started by WBill, September 14, 2007, 02:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WBill

I have never been to Africa hunting, but I just might have a chance since my wife just purchased a Travel Agency.

Just out of curiosity, I have read in some books and magazines that some PH carry a 12ga. double barrel shotgun with 00 buck shoot as back up when hunting Leopards and such when going after a wounded animal in thick brush.

Is this true or not ?

Thanks Bill

grayghost

Bill, yes, some PH's carry shotguns for back up when hunting Leopard. Many do not, as they prefer to carry a "stopping rifle" of large caliber. Leopards are lightening fast, and can be on a man in an instant. There is more danger of being killed by another gun than the Leopard. Most PH's DO NOT want their client trying to shoot a Leopard off of them for fear of being killed by a bullet rather than the Leopard. Mr. Spots often will jump several in the group unless killed. One would think a load of OO Buck would stop any Leopard, but unless you strike them in the head, they usually manage to mawl someone before it's over. Also, most PH's would carry a pump or semi-auto 12 ga over the double but it's a personal choice. Best bet is to not take risky shots and kill the Leopard with one well placed shot, but hunting is hunting and sometimes things don't go as planned. I know of several PH's that have been mawled by Leopards and although some seriously, none died. Lion however is another matter. Good hunting, grayghost
In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

Jaeger

A lot of folk use the 12ga with buckshot for driven shoots.

I've used it with great effect on Warthog, shooting Brenneke slugs. Has to be close (<35 yards), but it really whumps 'em!

Semi autos are illegal for hunting in RSA, but I've heard of guides using 12ga in various configurations as back-up on Leopards. Personally, I'd put my money on my .375, with a magazine-full of softs. That rifle shoots where I'm looking, and I guess that's what it's all about.

AZ Shooter Gal

I am hoping to rekindle this thread.

Semi autos are illegal in RSA? Shotguns and rifles?
That would put a crimp in my selections for my African battery. Any reason why or 'just cuz'?

I was considering a semi auto 12 ga. with solid copper sabot slugs for up close lion medicine.

My other long gun semi selection was to be a well set up AR15. Extremely accurate to long range for small game and very good for personal protection from unfriendly locals.

What about pistols? Do I have to leave my Ruger MK III and Colt .45acp at home also?

Steveb

As far as i know both rifle and shotgun semi auto's are now not allowed to be owned in the RSA, unless special permits are obtained. It has always been illegal to hunt game with a semi auto rifle and  semi auto pistol. As for the leopard story well any rifle of +- .30 cal and above with softnose ammo in it should do the trick-( normally the leopard if charging is so close that 1) the spread of the shotgun will still be closed, 2) shotgun pellets have poor penetration and tend to often deviate off cource, 3) if experiencing a leopard charge it will be so quick that normally only one shot is possible, 4) all cats have highly developed chest muscles and a good sofnose chunk of lead in the chest usually shuts them down.

so in my humble opinion use the rifle u are most comfortable with and oh well try to shoot STRAIGHT!

just my 2 zim cents worth

Bushwack

Rather go for a to much gun than try to look good for your client. I know of PH's that use the 12 ga. for stopping dangerous game, but that is normally to promote their video footage...As Steve indicated, the pellets of the shotgun has poor penetration and normally the best shot will be the first and accurate shot to kill the Leopard. Believe me if i say when leopard charge you barely have one shot to kill it...

cheers

web: bushwacksafaris.co.za
Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Bushwack

Tags: