Rabbit with tapeworms-- eat or no?

Started by Luke, January 22, 2008, 10:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

The thing about the intermediate hosts, like rabbits or fish, is that the tapeworms aren't in the gut, they're in the flesh. You can't see them with your unaided eye. BUT... I agree with you both. The 'bad stuff' in the common metropolitan grocery store is far worse (mostly) than the stuff we can get from wild game meat. There are bad "things", to get form wild meat like trichina and flukes, but again, proper cooking eliminates those nasties.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

I'm with Paul an BH51....I'll point out that alot of stuff been coming out of the ol' supermarket these days..Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

Now I not only feel something crawling on me, but I'm scared to eat dinner.  Trouble with cooking thoroughly is it just ruins a good piece of meat.  Nothing ruins meat or fish like overcooking, and I prefer mine just a bit undercooked
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Clueless

I've been to "stockyard sales" and agree what they sell the meat plants is pretty disgusting.

My preference is to go to a packing house and pick out my beef on the hoof. :smiley:

Other wise we shop at grocery's where I'm pretty sure they sale "safe meat".
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

Daryl (deceased)

Quoteand don't think they ain't got
parasites either......enjoy your hamburger:undecided: ............................BH51.....

I will, but mine is buffalo 'burger these days.  Haven't eaten more than a few pounds of beef burger in over two years.

Of course, there's no guarantees there either, but it tastes just fine.  If it's contaminated with nasties, then I'm already contaminated as well.  Might as well keep eating it, 'cause the freezer's full. ;)

Back to rabbits though...

I'm pretty picky about the rabbits I eat.  'Round here, it doesn't get cold enough to kill off the sick/weak, and I've seen some pretty sick looking rabbits.

I check them good before putting them in the stew pot, and cook them even better.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Clueless

I like to think meat is inspected properly.  I know not long ago there was a big todo over the inspections in TN and I'm thinkin' some things changed dramatically...

I like "buflar" too Daryl.

There's a herd of American Bison not far from here and they thin the herd from time to time.  Nice to get ahold of a hunk of that meat and I do every chance I have.

It's not something highly advertised but I have ways of finding out when it's happening. :smiley:

I can't tell you when I've eaten rabbit.  Not many around here and I lost my taste for 'em several years ago. :greentongue:

about the time my youngest decided he wanted to raise rabbits for "running money".
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

LvrLover

When I was a kid we used to raise and butcher 100 rabbits and 100 chickens every year. Much prefer rabbit cause its easier to clean - no scalding and plucking. I can still smell the wet feathers!
Sorry to pop your bubble, Clueless, but USDA inspected only means that at one time an inspector was through the plant and found everything passed. I'm not sure on the intervals but on a dairy they show up about once a year. A lot can happen in a year. You would also be surprised how many of those "sick" looking animals end up in your local supermarket as steak. Enjoy your meal!:chef:
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Daryl (deceased)

Clue,

I don't just get a hunk when I can; I make it a point to fill the freezer with the whole thing.  I took anotther one a little over a month ago, and one lasts my wife and I right at two years.  Pretty good eating, for sure.

A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Clueless

Meat inspection is state regulated Irv.  And TN put the clamps down a year or so ago.  Even beef on the hoof has to be inspected at "kill" time.

I get as much "buflar" as they will allow Daryl.   TVA raises them and they control who and how much is allowed each person.  And the meat is free.
They kill, cut and package.  I have gotten lucky and was able to get a half. :smiley:
Thomas Jefferson

Tags: