Fitting gas checks

Started by 22hornet, June 27, 2010, 02:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

22hornet

Ok Just some very quick questions.
Not knowing much about gas checks, what is the easiest and cheapest way to fit gas checks to .311 projectiles?
I don't have or nor do I have any need for a sizing die.
Can I just push them onto the base?
Are hornady .30cal gas checks suitable for both .308 and .311 projectiles?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Nelsdou

Hornet,

I would expect the 30 cal Hornady checks to work just fine, assuming your bullet mould is for a gas-check design. The checks have a bit of a lip that upon pushed through a sizing die makes that lip edge bite into the base of the bullet.  Even if you got lucky and the checks snapped on snuggly the sizing die ensures the check as well as the bullet gets "sized" to the die diameter.  Without that I can't imagine how you could seat the bullet into the case neck as the unsized GC will take up all the tension in the case neck.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

22hornet

Thanks Nels.

These are factory cast projectiles, factory sized at .311. They are ment to be gas checked but I have been shooting them without checks. Results are not too bad either.

My load for my .303 British is:
180gn hard cast projectile
11gns AR70N (approx burning to Unique)
CCI primers.
No idea on velocity but the projectiles are stable.
Groups around 2 inches at 50 metres, with the open sights, and kills coke cans very well.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

I don't know what a Lee sizer will set you back in OZ, but here they're about $15 including shipping. It's probably worth it to get one if they're not too spendy. Check out Ebay, etc. You might get one for a song. In fact, send me your address, and I'll just send you one.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Thanks for your offer Paul but I've already ordered one in .311. They are not too pricey here.

I will let you guys know about how I get on......

Tags: