Mule deer hunting at Rockin's

Started by Gmoney, November 08, 2004, 09:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

Well guys I just spent an hour typing out the story and well..all of a sudden it was gone...just like that... so here I go again...#&%#$%&###$^&&*...

Rockin' invited my dad and I up to his place for a mule deer hunt in Weed, NM.  

Day 1 Sunday - We drove up on Sunday morning from Mason, TX..took 9 1/2 hours..

Day 2 Monday - Woke up early, shot the guns a little and took a short walk to learn a little about the country before the front hit.... It started snowing I believe around 2PM and it snowed until the next morning...probably about 4-5 inches...us Texas boys don't get to see it snow much, we spent the day on the porch around the fire...I bet everyone thought we were nuts..LOL.. Az arrived late this night..

Day 3 Tuesday - Rockin', Az, my dad and I went for a call this morning with a little snow still on the ground...called in nothing put it was good to see a little more of the country...went and ate a killer green chile cheeseburger...the first of many this week..LOL.. went to bed early..

Day 4 Wednesday - huntin time...dad and I took out early getting on a little ridge right at light...we climbed to the top of the ridges all day and glassed each spot for an hour... we saw 6 does today...never seen more rubs and fresh sign in my life...

Day 5 - Thursday - since we had only 2 days left to hunt we decided to change tactics...we learned alot about mulies on Wed.. you spook them and they turn around at look back at 200-300 yards..we are used to whitetails who hightail it and do not look back.. we decided to "drive" them out of the bottoms and hopefully get a shot that way..we also decided to try a new area since we saw no bucks the day before..  at first light we climbed up a ridge overlooking the ranch and were going to glass the valley below until the sun came up and made them easier to see...jumped deer right at the rim and I froze immediately and for 25 minutes had a staring contest with a couple of does abouyt 200 yards off..I didn't know if there were bucks with them so I played it safe and after 25 minutes they just walked off unalarmed...if i would have known it was just does I would have let them figure out what I was and get on with it...We set up to glass and let it get totally light...i spotted movement at the other side of the canyon , got the binocs up and saw a big fat lion....Not knowing when the next chance to shoot a lion might be if ever I got into position, got my sticks up but never saw it again as it disappeared into some thick stuff...the only way it got out without me seeing it in the thick stuff is if it headed straight down into the canyon...well guess what happened next... you guessed it...the crazy dude decided to go flush it out...I told my dad to stay put and maybe get a shot if I flushed it...so I grabbed my gun off my shoulder and carried it and started walking towards the valley down below me... Well, 2 things happened...first, I didn't think it was going to be so dark down there, and secondly I didn't know it was so thick and had so many ravines...a perfect ambush spot for a lion..  So when I got down there in the thick dark stuff, man I was walking commando style and checking my back trail...when I told them this story back at camp the guys cracked up...LOL..Never saw the lion...

We continued down this valley without flushing a deer and ended up running into Rockin' and Az down in Prather Canyon bout a mile from camp...they were riding horses and we told them where we were going and they told us where they were going..this will come into handy very soon..LOL....right guys..

We hit the next draw on the opposite side of the hills from the camp and we started walking through this thickly wooded draw uphill.. we spooked many, many deer, I jumped a spike, a 4x4, and many does... dad spooked a "monster" but I didn't see it...I put monster in quotes because dad sometimes doesn't get a very good look...I love you dad..LOL.  We got to the top of the ridgeboth dying and sucking air...he told me about the "monster" so I took off over the next hill to try to see him...dad sat on a hill and took a rest...

So I started chasing more deer I saw including a nice 4x4 I believe...almost got the crosshairs on him...little did I know but when you start stalking game you just forget everything....right guys and gals...I ended up 2 ridges over from dad and didn't even hear his shot...About an hour later I figure I better find him so I started walking and then I heard him yelling...He said he got a big one but I didn't believe him till I saw antlers...This "monster" that flushed over the hill never went over the hill.. I must have walked by hium when I was trying to get over the hill to see him... he just got in the thick stuff and walked out 45 minutes later while dad was still resting...I am sure glad that he decided to take a rest...The shot was 331 steps and a little downhill...It was shot with a Winchester 30-06 with a Leupold Vari XIII with a 150 grain soft point...dad played for a little more drop in trajectory than was needed... right when he pulled the trigger the buck took a hop and dad ended up hitting him 2 inches below the spine about 18 inches in front of the tail..dad said he dropped like a rock....It was a 4x5....the right side had a G2 that never forked and was 12 1/2 inches long...Rockin' estimated 180-190 weight...I have never seen my dad more shockedor amazed and happy....

Luckily Rockin' and Az heard the shot and they cut cross country to us just knowing that we didn't miss..LOL.. we gutted him and loaded him on Rockin's horse and took off for thehouse...Rockin' gave up his horse and walked back...what a guy...Dad and I do not have much experience with horses and this deer kept sliding off the horses back and we were overjoyed to see Az coming down our trail...Rockin' went to chase deer and Az thought we might need some help..he was a Godsend...he helped us tie the deer down better and then we took off and met Rockin' a little ways down the trail...Thanks Az...

Day 6 Friday - Our other group from Texas hadn't had much luck so dad and I decided to help them out by being the brush busters for them while they stood on the ridges hoping for a shot...all we saw in 6 hours of busting was a fox and maybe 10 does...it was pretty windy so I think the bucks were down in the really thick stuff and weren't going to come out unless we tripped over them... We were exhausted by 2PM and decided to pack up and head back to TX...the guys we busted for all day decided to stay out until dark...

For all those who read this I just want to thank rockin' for doing this for me and my dad...the whole purpose of this trip for was my dad to get a deer and me if possible...and he got a good one...I have never seen my dad so excited or happy out in the woods...thanks for your hospitality, kindness, and considerations....Rockin' put off all his work to this week so he could hang around the house and be there when we got back in...I'm sure he is busy as heck this week...thanks buddy for an awesome trip....there is no way we can repay you....

Az- man if you hadn't showed up to help us with that deer I think we would still be packing it out right now...LOL.. thanks buddy...I'm checking those dates for you...

The trip was awesome, it snowed, we saw deer, we got a good one, met soem good friends, had awesoem comradery...was just an amazing trip...can't wait to go back and chose those deer all over the mountains again...and for the green chile cheeseburgers..LOL...  thanks again guys,,,my dad will never forget this trip...

Oh one more thing...on our way out in Mayhill we got seriously sidetracked...one guy stopped to look at our deer and I guess other people driving on the road saw us looking in the back of a truck and decided to stop and see..anyways an hour later we got out of there..LOL...the lady that runs the store there in Mayhill is from wiomberley and she recognized us after 6 years...its a small world...

Thanks again guys...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Gmoney

how do you post pictures when all you took of the deer is with a disposable camera? Would love to post pics...help?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

Gmoney,

First:  About the pic's.  I also carry a disposable camera (as you know), and I get them developed at Wally World.  They'll put them on a CD for a small charge, and for me it's worth it.  If you've already developed the pics and don't have them on disk, you'll have to use a scanner.  If you don't have one, you might be able to mail them to someone on the board.  I used to have one, but it doesn't work any more.  As a last resort, we did take some pic's with my disposable.  It's not used up yet, but should be in the next few days.  I'd be happy to post them for you if you want.

You're certainly welcome for anything I did to help.  We had a great group of folks there during the hunt, and I think all were willing to help in any way they could.  After you left, the other guys commented on how greatful they were to you and your dad for busting your tails trying to help them get a deer.  Not many folks will go out of their way to do that for someone they've just met, and the willingness of all who were there to help each other out speaks volumes!

My thanks goes out to all who were there, with a special thanks to Rockin' and his wife.  You folks are top notch, and I only hope that I can someday, somehow, repay your hospitality.

Take care mi amigos,

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

Az, my camera is already at Wally world....did you get a picture of the deer on your camera? So get Wally world to put them on a CD... I'll call and see if they can do it..later bud...
-Greg

Hunterbug

I'm glad that you had a great hunt. I look forward to getting down there in February to hunt coyotes. Now i want to see the pics. If Wallyworld can't put them on disc then take them to Kinko's and they can help you scan them on to disc.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Daryl (deceased)

Gmoney,

Yeah, I got several pic's of the deer; Some on the ground and some on the horse.  It's always good to take extra pic's! ;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

yeah, I think I will catch Wally World and get them to put them on a CD as well...hopefully, yeah it is good to take lots of pics..some of the ones at the time may seem boring or something but those are the ones that mean the most or are the best...take care buddy...
-Greg

RatherBHuntin

That was good reading, sounded like a blast for everyone except that monster.  You boys didn't get scared when the sky started falling did you Gmoney?  At least being down i the Hill Country you were somewhat used to the ups and downs I guess.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

rockinbbar

Gmoney,

Man, I'm glad ya'll had a good time. I'm also excited your dad got a nice buck. Just frostin' on the cake after a great hunt.

Az, Don't worry, amigo, you'll get a chance to repay me.....LOL. I'm planning on coming west to help Azrizona out with their coyote population before too long. I really need a guide & calling buddy though, that will show mr how those dogs work as well.

Glenn, you start tightening that rifle for Feb, Buddy...

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: