MKII 'Printed Tip'

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), June 19, 2013, 10:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

The larger tenon is definitely "good". I think the rounded tip is too, but emotionally, I liked the sharp tip of MKI.

Very cool.

I was recently speaking with a professional in 3D printers, and he agreed with our assessment that the "extrusion" types aren't quite "there" yet for this type of object. He said the "good" ones - like the one that produced these tips - are down to about $10,000. Still, even at 50 cents apiece, one could buy a whole lot (about a lifetime's supply I'd say), of "Talon" tips for $10,000.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

For those who might be interested to see what the support structure looks like when using the stereolithography (SLA) printer.

Need to remove this 'schmutz' before I post as it weighs far more than the tips!
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I don't follow... "support structure"???

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

It is like a jelly that is semi cured around the tip, It 'supports' the part being printed.

Linky
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

gitano

What I'm not understanding is the form itself. The "cocoon/support structure" needs to be fabricated before the actual object can be "printed"? That seems like A LOT of work for small objects!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

It is all built at the same time. Basically just printed in layers.
Turvey Stalking

gitano

I am still completely baffled.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I imagine it is all about stopping the printed part rolling around on the print bed...
Turvey Stalking

Tags: