Volunteers for a "Welcoming Committee"

Started by gitano, January 26, 2015, 09:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Since we had so much trouble with malicious registrations (thankfully almost a 'thing of the past'), I have taken to approving all new memberships. As such, new members can't post until they have been approved. Sometimes it takes me a few days to get to that. A few more "eyes" looking for new member notifications could accomplish a couple of things. First, I could be notified as soon as someone noticed the new registration, and two - and more importantly to me - the new member could be sent a PERSONAL email/PM from an existing member or two. I believe this would be both 'friendlier' than the automatic, 'boilerplate' welcome message that THL sends to new members AND be more encouraging to them to participate.

So, I would like a few of "you" to agree to 1) keep an eye out for new registrations and let me know as soon as you see a "new member" (see bottom of Home Page), and 2) agree to send a personal email or PM to the new member (whether you noticed them first or not), welcoming them from a real person and active member. It would be 'nice' to have at least one member from each of the following nations - Australia, Canada, Great Britain, and the US. The new member could get a welcome communication from a member from their own nation.

I don't see this being any big burden. We get a few new members per month, but as I am sure most of you are aware, most of them do not end up being active members. I think/hope that a personal welcome from an active member might encourage more of them to be active participants.

Thanks,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Just tried to do this and I get a notice that I am not allowed to do so.

sakorick

I think Paul has to approve a member first then once approved, the sponsor can send his personalized welcome. When do other members get to welcome the new member?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

The newest member - GlockDoctor - has been approved. During his registration he chose to block receipt of emails. I have changed that, so you should be able to contact him via email or PM.

Thanks for making the effort, farmboy. I have changed my THL email address and I should receive immediate notification of new registrants now. However, since I am on the "right" side of the continent, I will be the last one up in the mornings, so I will still be "the last to know" of new registrants. So keep that in mind as "you" try to contact new members.

Thanks again,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

22hornet

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Tags: