A Canadian AR

Started by codger, November 26, 2023, 08:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codger

This is my newest rifle. It's a 2023 built modernized AR180, and was developed as a Canadian replacement for the AR 15. It's chambered in 7.62 X 39.   

I have installed a Triggertech duty trigger and a great Chinese scope.      I love it !  :indian_chief:

It will shoot 10 shot 2" groups at 100 meters all day long.

gitano

Interesting rifle! I've assembled a few 15s and 10s, chambered in various cartridges from .223, to 8x51.

I hadn't  heard of the AR-180. How about some close-ups of the action? It appears to be a 'lefty', with the charging handle on the left side.

The 7.62x39 had a brief period of high interest when Ruger came out with their "Ranch Rifle" chambered in 7.62x39. Unfortunately , that rifle never shot particularly well, and interest flagged thereafter. US interest was again raised when all the European milsurps entered the market: Particularly the AK-47 and the SKSs from Soviet Russia and China. US interest in the cartridge has flagged again a little in recent years, but it remains popular with those still shooting the milsurps.

Do you hunt with this rifle?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

codger

Quote from: gitano on November 26, 2023, 09:09:21 AMInteresting rifle! I've assembled a few 15s and 10s, chambered in various cartridges from .223, to 8x51.

I hadn't  heard of the AR-180. How about some close-ups of the action? It appears to be a 'lefty', with the charging handle on the left side.

The 7.62x39 had a brief period of high interest when Ruger came out with their "Ranch Rifle" chambered in 7.62x39. Unfortunately , that rifle never shot particularly well, and interest flagged thereafter. US interest was again raised when all the European milsurps entered the market: Particularly the AK-47 and the SKSs from Soviet Russia and China. US interest in the cartridge has flagged again a little in recent years, but it remains popular with those still shooting the milsurps.

Do you hunt with this rifle?

Paul

The AR 180 is the semi auto version of the full auto AR 18, from what I understand it was designed by Eugene Stoner of Armalite.   This is a modernized version known as the WK 181-C  .  There are four different companies in Canada making their own versions of the AR 180 at the present time.   I also have a 223 version made by the same company, but this redesigned version in 7.62X39 is the better rifle.

SKS rifles are probably the most prolific centerfire semi autos in Canada, everyone who shoots has at least one, I myself have three, and several crates of X 39 ammo.

Another popular rifle in Canada is the X39 CZ 527, but they stopped making them for some reason that I will never understand. They are an excellent little rifles.

I don't hunt, it's no challenge where I live, I just like rifles .

This pic was taken from my shooting bench.

I will take some pics of the internals of the 180 variant

codger

No doubt you will see the AR 15 similarities, and also the differences.   The gas system is a vast improvement over the AR15.      The action stays clean. ;D

codger

I don't think it's made for lefties, I think the charging handle is probably on the left so it makes it easier to design it to eject to the right.

Tags: