BSA Sportsman 15

Started by Fieldmor77, April 25, 2012, 10:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

That's a good point, Jamie.70. If I were to find an old Hopi Indian pot, I wouldn't repaint it to 'restore' its colors because 1) I wouldn't use it, and 2) painting it wouldn't restore its usefulness.

Furniture - for example - that is going in a museum MIGHT not 'need' to have its finish refurbished. BUT, furniture that is going to be USED AS FURNITURE, should have anything the owner wants, done to the finish.

No one - including me - would "repaint" a Rembrandt, but that's because its USE is to be LOOKED AT, and the original paint is the point. Still, I would argue that IN REALITY a "copy" of a Rembrandt is JUST AS "VALUABLE" as the original.

Of course I am spitting into the wind, but I will continue to spit into the wind as long as the "wind" is artificially created by a "fan" powered by a bunch of LIAR PRIESTS.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

I wonder how they would handle my Rigby Mannlicher?

It's been partly re-finished. When I got it the trigger was very gritty and rough as Rigby's were still in London  contacted them and took the rifle to them for a service. Where it had been poorly stored at some point in a case with cloth lining there was some rust on one side of the barrel and in a place on the magazine and on the butt plate.

Rigbys stripped and cleaned the rifle which restored the nice clean crisp trigger pull. Seems it was clogged with lint and grit. The treated the rust marks on the barrel to stop further deteriation and they re-blacked the butt plate and trigger guard magazine.

Now their problem is that the makers did this and this is what they did on a service not a re-build or overhaul just a service. I still have the receipt on file.

Customers of these top London houses often return their guns for servicing and if damage or wear is noticed on the finish and it's possible to repair it they do so on the service.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

QuoteIt's been partly re-finished.

Is the WHOLE story to "them".

"They" offer stupid platitudes like "It's good that you had it refurbished by a "professional" (or by the factory), but it would have been worth more if you had left it untouched."

Honestly, it makes me sick with anger. It is one of many perfect indicators of abject decadence.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Fieldmor77

A contentious issue for sure, i remember when i was a member of the Historical Motorcycle club and being berated by other members for polishing the alloy engine parts of my 1972 Norton Commando.
Their argument being that the bikes never left the factory with polished alloy......so what, i like polished alloy.

It all comes down to personnel taste IMHO.

gitano

FOR ME, it all comes down to I OWN IT.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Fieldmor77

TackyDriver

Oh my friends. As Fieldmore says, it IS a contentious issue and that's fine by me. My only regret is that we can't discuss this around a campfire or in some den with a ready supply of libation.

I have much more to say but I'm tired right now and don't know if I started stealing attention away from Fieldmore's handiwork. If it's OK, I'll post something semi-intelligent here or I can start a new thread. It's up to you Fieldmore. Whichever, I always look forward to "solving the world's problems" with you all.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Brithunter

Well as to Rigby's and their re-finishing................................... it was not asked for just their normal service.

As for Norton engine cases well the outer ones on Comandos were polished but not laquered so I assume by the time they reached Australia after the sea voyage they would have dulled some. I recall looking at the new Commandos in Carl Rosner's of Sanderstead  Croydon (South London) and the new ones on his showroom floor all had polished outer cases. As did the new Triumph T140E that I eventually purchased, got a better finance deal on the Triumph and a better price too which is what swung it for me.

My mate had a 850 Mk111 Interstate Commando in Black and Gold that had been tuned by Gus Khans. That was a 76 model. My Triumph was a 79 model.

Previously I had been riding a 66 Norton Jubilee 250 cc. Reg No NPX 129D

Back to antiques the funny thing is that i hear them giving values on the Antiques Roadshow and they often say now if it was restored it would be worth this much more.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

QuoteMy only regret is that we can't discuss this around a campfire or in some den with a ready supply of libation.
I sincerely share that regret. The internet is a 'good thing'. I have met some of the best people in my life through the internet. By the same token, "virtual" campfires are a mere shadow of the real thing. Maybe someday we will all be able to sit around a 'campfire' that isn't virtual.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Quote from: gitano;120250I sincerely share that regret. The internet is a 'good thing'. I have met some of the best people in my life through the internet. By the same token, "virtual" campfires are a mere shadow of the real thing. Maybe someday we will all be able to sit around a 'campfire' that isn't virtual.

Paul

A couple of times some of us manage it a little. I know paul has made it to Texas and met two of the guys. Llano John has not been on in a long time so I feel he may have moved on to better climes. I was to meet Paul at Johns once but despite all of our best efforts it just did not make.

Personally i have visted with John and Drinksgin much to my benefit, both were everyting they appeared to be on these threads and more.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I've also met - from North to South - Jay Edwards,  RecoilJunky, Hunterbug, Sakorick, and drinksgin. "Westward", I have met kombi1976 and Branxhunter. I am all the better for the meetings. I have also had the pleasure of meeting their families. I can't recall all the folks I have spoken with on the phone, all of whom I hope one day to 'press the flesh' with.

My eldest has moved to New Mexico, so I am hoping that she and I will get to meet RockinBBar and Daryl and their families. Recoiljunky has some rodent murdering planned for this summer and I am hoping to meet some more THL folks at that event.

"We" are 'passing'. Motor has gone, and I fear Ol' John is gone too. I know that another is nearing his end, and I ain't no Spring chicken myself. There may not be time for me to press the flesh with all the THL'ers that are my senior, but I would sure like to try. It would be grand, at least from my perspective, if "we" could all get together at least once. I know that isn't going to happen, but I think it would be grand. Not so long that we would get annoyed with one another, but just long enough so that we wished there was more time.

All I can say is; If you want something, you have to work at it as best you can.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Ahhh yes so little time so little money :cry:

We ........................ that is the family and I are looking into my making a visit to the US  probably in the fall. Things are in very early stages of enquiry right now but we ARE looking into it.
Go Get them Floyd!

Fieldmor77

Tack Driver we have great Campfires down here, and you're all welcome to share mine anytime, I'll even shout you all a rum, the rum is so good,  fella's give up their guns for it.

Fieldmor77

Tacky driver, we have great campfires down here, and you're all welcome to share mine.  I'll even shout you all a rum, the rums so good, Fella's give up their guns for it ;).
[ATTACH]13086[/ATTACH]

gitano

I spent some time yesterday trying to find out about LLANOJohn (I refer to him as Ol' John because he started out here as HondoJohn). I was able to talk to a person in the General Store in Castell that said that John was still alive an kicking, but still in the convalescent "home". I haven't been able to find the number for that place. I was glad to hear he is still alive, but I know he must be debilitated or he would be on THL at least now and then. John is a great guy. He's the one that brought me here to THL. (Don't hold that against him.)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: