Standard Cartridge Series - 348 Winchester

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), December 24, 2004, 08:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

As a rule, I do not post the images of specific firearms with specific cartridges.  In this case I believe it is warranted.  The Model 71 Winchester and the .348 Winchester cartridge are, to me, an inseperable package.  I have owned the Model 71 a couple of times and wish I still had one.  I loved their balance and the cartridge was surely a powerhouse that would take any North American game...I just couldn't appreciate the value at the time.

One of the Model 71s I had converted to .45-70 Government and then let a fella trade me out of it for a Marble's Game Getter.  Ah well!:confused:

If you ever get your hands on one of these, give it deep consideration before you allow it out of your hands.  With the correct peep sight it can give you a wonderful heavy lever action for brush and dangerous game.

rockinbbar

Hey!

You got an extra one of those 71's laying around, Jay?
I'd take it off your hands....(What a true friend would do...)
I like that rifle. Great big game rifle. Not bad on deer either.:)

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: rockinbbarYou got an extra one of those 71's laying around, Jay?
[/size]

Sometimes I wish I was a billionaire RBB...I'd distribute rifles like these to as many real hunters as I could find.

One of the 'pets' that I keep is a Model 64A in .30-30 Winchester that looks like a scaled down version of this rifle. When I think about it, I suppose that is the reason I have the 'rifle' version of the Model 94 in .45 Colt.

rockinbbar

While you are taking orders for REAL guns while you wait on that lottery ticket, the following is my wish-list...

Winchester 86 in 45-70

Winchester 71 in 348

Browning Highwall....one in 45-70, 300 win mag, and .223...LOL.

Winchester 62

Winchester 73, One of One Thousand in 44-40

Savage 99DE in 300 Sav.

Winchester 94 with the pistol grip stock in 30-30, complete with 24" barrel & tang sight

Marlin 1895 in the above configuration...

And finally a matching set of Colt .45's with ivory grips & 4 3/4" barrels....ingraved with the "Cattle Brand" pattern, & nickel plated in an F.A. Meanea belt rig.

Gee, this is a pretty reasonable list, don't you think?  ;)

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jay Edward (deceased)

More than 'reasonable' RBB, however I believe a government grant is the way to go rather than dry up my philanthropic well.:D

M1Garand

This is one of my favorite calibers even though I don't own one.  I've seen them for sale starting around $1000.  I just saw a brand new unfired one going up for auction starting at $3500.  What I wouldn't give for one of them.  I've also seen them with and without the peep sights, did they have to be special ordered with the peep sights?

Tags: