Standard Cartridge Series - 243 Winchester

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 14, 2004, 05:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Old tried and true.  I have one request...let's not get into an arguement over it's killing ability.  There are just too many examples of success to refute.

Daryl (deceased)

Jay,

My first centerfire rifle was a Remington model 600 in .243, and I've never been without one in the gun cabinet since.

The one I have now is one of the first; a Winchester model 70 that was made in 1956, one year after the .243 was introduced.  I've killed several deer and several hundred coyotes with this caliber using 100 grain bullets over the last 28 years or so, and I can attest to it's effectiveness.

It's not a fur friendly round, but it's effective!
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

NUMBERFARMER

The first centerfire rifle I ever owned was a 243.  I have always had one since that day.  Currently I have an old non-prefix Ruger #1 topped with a 7.5x Leupold.  This gun has fired one load at deer, coyotes, prairedogs and other small animals with unquestionable success.  I use 100 grain sierra bullets over H4831 in Win brass and use Win primers.  The load shoots 3 shots in 1 inch or less at 100 yards.  MV is about 2900 to 2925 depending on the lot of powder. One gun, one load, consisten points of impact. When it comes to combination firearms, this and the 25-06 are two of my very favorites.

klallen

Back when I was looking to buy my Ruger VT, I was wrestling with selection of factory offered cartridges I had to choose from     ...     .22-250, .220 Swift, .243.  Seems like everyone I talked with was touting the various hot .22's as "THE" varmint cartridge to own.  After looking into things, of the three choices, in my mind, the .243 was in fact "THE" varmint cartridge to own.

Been working with it for some time now and I'm completely convinced I made the correct decision.  What the .243 can do with a 55 gr. BT is heads above the .22's.  Add to that the advantage of being able to load heavier, with the ballistic benefits that go along with that at extended ranges, and it was a win, win all around.  I load my .243 solely for varminting purposes, so I can't comment from personal experience on it's abilities as an antelope or deer cartridge, but as far as varmints go, out to the far side of 600 yds., it is one sweet cartridge to have in the safe.  Whenever I come across someone contemplating the same things that I was back then, the .243's always the direction I encourage folks to look into.  Later.  >>  klallen

Hunterbug

I had one briefly but didn't own it long enough to really play around with it. Before long I sold it to buy my 257 AI and never looked back. But one day I would like to own one in a Sako Forester as that was the rifle that my mother hunted with for years.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

swede

A friend of mine has a browning 243 for deer it is a great cartridge. It reaches out a fair distance too.

NUMBERFARMER

Here is the thread rockinbbar, I happened to run across it so I posted to bring it to the top for you. I just stumbled upon a fella who was getting out of reloading supplies.  He sold me 1000 of my favorite bullet for this caliber. 100 gr sierra spbt. I should be set now for 2 or 3 years now.

rockinbbar

Thanks Number. I guess I just missed it....

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jay Edward (deceased)

You know the one statement in the original attachment that I can't quite agree with is the 'erratic' behavior of this cartridge.  I certainly don't read everything but I cannot recall ever reading about 'erratic behavior' being experienced by the folks that wrote the articles regarding the .243 Winchester.  On the contrary...the first I read about he .243 Winchester was in Townsend Whelen's book under a Chapter title 'The gilt edge .243' or something like that.  

Over the years I've known many hunters who regularly used the .243 Winchester and always with outstanding results.  I even hunted with a fella for several years who used the .243 as his Elk cartridge as well as his coyote cartridge.  I wonder what prompted the 'ballisticians' to say that it was 'erratic'?

Mark R

I know I needto buy a chrony and I don't have access to a 200yd. range. I use 42.5 H4831sc and 100gr. Nos Part. with very good results from a Ruger 22" barrel. was wondering if any could give me a ballpark on velocity. I was thinking about 2850, is that wishful thinking.
thanks
Mark
marktx

drinksgin (deceased)

Mark;

That should be very close, to do some better, there some powders that manuals show giving over 3000fps with the 100gr, v-N550 data shows almost 3200fps, IMR 7828 shows well over 3000fps.
Check some other manuals, there are other powders that give better velocities, of course, they may not be as accurate.
The more efficient powders can be used the way I do, reduce the charge to get about the same velocity with lower pressures, this gives longer case life and,I hope longer barrel life.
I do have a chronograph, it is a real help.
Welcome to the site, go to Guido's and eat some crabs for me.
:D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Daryl (deceased)

My Nosler manual lists a velocity of 2930 fps for 42 grains of IMR 4831 out of a Lilja 24" test barrel.

Don't show loading data in my book for H4831, but my Nosler manual is an older one.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Hmmmmmmmm!  Owned one in a Winchester Mdl 88, lever gun........have had the opportunity to shoot any number of them.......Sako back in the 1960's good shooter, good varmint rifle.....Currently own Remington 788 in .243......scheduled to have the barrel pulled and replaced with a .308.......

Does that tell you anything?  Thought so!!!!!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Jay Edward (deceased)

I have the Hodgdon's manual #22 sitting right here in front of me and they are giving a listing of 44.0 grains of 4831 for a starting load and 48.0 grains of 4831 for a maximum load.  The maximum load shows a velocity of 3141 and a CUP of 49,500.

However...

I just took this off Hodgdon's website for reloads and I cannot make heads or tails of what's going on.  You'd better contact them direct.

100 GR. SPR BTSP
COL: 2.650"

H1000

47.0 C

49,800 CUP

H4831

50,100 CUP

H4350

51,000 CUP

H414

50,600 CUP

H380

50,100 CUP

VARGET

50,400 CUP

H4895

50,100 CUP

drinksgin (deceased)

The wonderful world of changing data as the wind blows, or the misprints get by the napping proofreaders, ain't it great!
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: