Cast Bismuth Boolits?

Started by TackyDriver, March 06, 2011, 02:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TackyDriver

Normally I'm of the "Not Broke, Don't Fix" school. Unfortunately, as a CA resident I have to adhere to the Ridley/Tree Bill banning the use of lead boolits in a broad swath of Central California. I have several old shotguns with barrels that aren't rated for steel or "hevi-shot" and so did some looking at bismuth shot. It's much cheaper than copper and non-toxic. I didn't realize that it's one of the ingredients in Pepto Bismol.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge casting boolits with bismuth? I wouldn't hunt with them until I had some way of verifying that such bullets would have humane, effective terminal ballistics, so I'd be just target shooting with them at first.

As of now, I'm trying to make room for a new workshop and setting up an eBay business selling all of the things that are taking up room from my workshop area. I'm trying to think this out now so that when I'm able to clear my back burners, I'll be able to make up for lost time. Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially if they keep me from "reinventing the wheel."

Hope things get only better for you all.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Alboy

I know you can replace lead with bizmuth size for size and weight in shot shells. I have used it in both smokeless and BP loads. It has never hurt any of my "OLD" guns. Full choke Win model 12/12 gauge, Zavala SxS 10 gauge and SxS Old Western Auto 20 gauge with Long Range for a chokle description on the barrels.

However I have not tried to melt it down and pour into bullet moulds. Interesting
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

LvrLover

Bismuth melts 50 some degrees before lead, so you should be able to use lead equipment. The problem with bismuth is that it is not very malleable. Its brittle. Fine for shot pellets and sinkers, but bad for high velocity rifle bullets. Except maybe for frangible stuff for varmints or targets. Might be OK in large bore rifles and pistols where expansion is not really necessary. Thats what I gathered from my research on it a while back anyway.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: