Range report, K98 vs Enfield vs 03A3

Started by sakorick, May 30, 2009, 01:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I decided to have some fun and determine the most accurate of the 3 rifles. I was happy with the results which are all but conclusive. Each rifle has it's merits and there wasn't much difference. I'm 63 so the eyes aren't so good anymore but it was fun. The pictures tell the story. The 03A3 shot Lake City ball and the Enfield / Mauser were handloads....all with 150 grain bullets. I can see no clear winner.....what do you guys think? Regards, Rick./SIZE]
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

kombi1976

If I may comment I think you'd have been better loading the 8mm with a 196gr Spitzer, since this was a common WW2 load, and the 303 with a 170 to 180gr FMJ Spitzer as the mil load was a 174gr FMJ Spitzer at about 2440fps.
But it just goes to prove that all rifles are very similar in performance.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

22hornet

Yep. 3 good solid accurate rifles.
I think it comes down to personal feelings and maybe your countries military history.
But for me it the Lee Enfield! :D
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Quote from: kombi1976;93337But it just goes to prove that all rifles are very similar in performance.

True, however, I have found that Enfields aren't fussy and I've had good luck with everything from 120 to 180 grain bullets. The GEW fired a 150 grain bullet and so did the first K98's....they both have a one in 10.5 twist. The Germans switch to the bigger bullet because their machine guns were designed for them.....just goes to show the K98 isn't fussy either. The Lake City ball is not known for it's accuracy, however, it seems to shoot in my 03's and Garand just fine. Next project is to compare them to the Finn M39 and the Swede which currently is having a diopter sight installed. The Japanese Type 99 is also very similar.....very accurate. Regards, Rick.

Added.....The Enfield is an unissued rifle which is essentially new. It will be interesting to see how it does after break-in.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jorge in Oz

Nice shooting Rick and nice rifles, love the Enfield.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: Rick..big thanks for taking the time to put this post together..Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Steve D

Great post.  I would have to say all 3 rifles shot better than I can with iron sights.
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

Tags: