Pre measured powder for hunting

Started by Alboy, March 16, 2016, 08:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

Paul

For some reason I could not get this to attached to the PM so put it here for you, When I shortened the tubes it was still long enough for almost a double load as I wanted to be able to use them for several weapons and or charge weights.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Great idea! Thanks!

No reason to not provide a little explanation for 'everyone'. There are plenty of people here at THL that are interested in muzzle loaders that I am sure would appreciate the info.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Prolly a dumb question but can you get the tubes without the cigar?
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Wow! A buck a piece - I'd expect the cigar...
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Listed under 'collectables', should have guessed!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

I have made my own from a variety of materials, and intend to make more. The cigar tubes are just 'convenient', if not as cheap as I would have expected for USED. When I used to smoke cigars, I just threw them away.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Also remember any relatively small container can work. Most importantly the cap needs to stay on and they be small enough to carry a few easily. Other wise the powder horn and charge thrower still work and my standard now.

In the past I have used tooth brush tubes (very flimsy), 35mm film canisters both screw top aluminum and pop-top plastic (kind of big), store bought speed loaders, old cap tins (very hard to open with out spilling powder, impossible with cold hands), paper tube twists (fragile), cartridge cases with various corks (unsuccessfully)
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I like that info, Al, thanks! Saves me from doing the same things in 'experimental mode'. The one thing I'm struggling when I use a powder horn is getting a nozzle that throws an appropriate amount; like half charge or 100%. It it's 'in between', I fiddle around more than I want to. First, out of the horn into the graduated measure, then into the bore. Doesn't sound like much, but you have to be holding at least the rifle if not other 'stuff' like patches and projectiles. Of course that means KNOWING what "the" charge needs to be. I'm still finding that out with the Zouave. You may recall that I have the SxS 10 gauge. My primary interest in that piece is round ball. Then there is always the flint pistol. I'm imagining myself with the Zouave slung across my back, the pistol hooked to my belt, and the 10 gauge in my right hand. :D Four shots, ALL DIFFERENT CALIBERS! :D:D:D:D:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

If it helps much

90 grains 2F is what I use in my .54, 12 and 10 gauge. Jim used 85 grain 2F in his 58 he wore out. He was hesitant on suggesting lowering your 100 gr load though.

We both feel 100 yards will end up being your reliable long range but that requires shooting a good bit of powder, We also would thoroughly wring out the Alliant for a staple powder.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I only upped to 100 from 80 based on our conversation AND reading the Lyman black powder book you gave me. I'm not trying to 'blame' anything on you, just pointing out how I 'got' to 100 grains. You know I'm not a "max charge" kind of guy. I think the final charge will be determined by group size. BUT... from what little reading I have been doing in the past few days, 100 grains seems to be on the LOW end of what a lot of folks use. "A lot of folks" doesn't influence me particularly, because I know what "a lot of folks" do with firearms I know a lot about, and "a lot of folks" are stupid. ;) But, I'm OK with starting at 100 at the range next time. Of course 10% down from that is an 'easy' 90, so I'll try that too for sure. I'll be taking my 10 gauge, which at the moment I don't remember what it's nipples are sized, but I don't think "musket".

QuoteWe also would thoroughly wring out the Alliant for a staple powder.
You wanna elaborate a little on that? I can't tell if that's skepticism about it's quality, or just recommendation with respect to any powder use. Frankly, I would prefer to use real BP, it's just too darned difficult to get up here! My preference for BP isn't anything associated with "traditional", it's just easier to clean! Hot water and elbow grease. I've got plenty of both!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

On the Aliant.

Because of cost and availability. If you can find a working load we both agree we would never look back.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Amen to that! At less than half the cost per pound ($9/lb) of ALL of the other stuff, I will go back and get at least two more bottles and be paying only what one would cost. Like I said, I'd like to use real BP, but that's not a realistic option.

I need to cast some more 10 ga RB. If you recall (http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16335 and http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16358&highlight=round+ball) the primitive mold I have doesn't cast very pretty round balls. I have to figure something out about that, maybe. Maybe they will shoot 'just fine'. I'm going to cast 40 or 50 and attempt to get 25 or so with some uniformity out of the batch. The SxS will be coming the the range with the Zouave and maybe the .62 cal flintlock pistol. :D:D:D:D:D

I miss Don.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Went to Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday. The bad news is that they were out of the Alliant powder. The good news was that they had some "on order". My daughter's boyfriend, who is one of the floor managers, said it could be being unloaded as we spoke, or it could be two weeks out. In either case, I should have some more relatively soon.

This guy's 'tool' has given me some ideas: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182045131834?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: