"Family Browning"

Started by buckshot roberts, June 08, 2011, 09:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:yes:Well my dad finely gave me his old A5 yesterday,He get it around 1954 I think, I can not remember witch of the only two stores in town it came from, I have not shot it in over 30 years until the day He gave it to me, the only thing I'm upset with is the :confused:sad fact is one of my brothers boy's put cold blue on it, the gun has no pits, it's got some field use, anyone know how to remove this cold blue.Ron

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Brithunter

Sorry but no I do not know how to remove cold blue.

I happen to like the old hump back and have on of similar vintage ............................... 55 or 56 I think mine is. I acquired mine a couple of years back after wanting one for years. OK it's heavy and "slow" compared with soem modern designs but it's certainly stood the test of time. Mine has light rust pitting as we think it was used for wild fowl on the salt marshes.

I got a new set of springs and washers and had them fitted at the same time the smith converted it to a 3 -shot so it remains a shotgun and not a section one firearm under our laws. Really wanted to keep it original but the vindictive "woman" at the licensing office would not allow it :huh:.

Turns out that it didn't need the new ones but we fitted them.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

I THINK that the only alternative for you on the bluing is to completely redo it. However, there are some real 'artists' out there when it comes to finishing gun metal. I'll find a couple of URLs I have found, and you might drop them an email to see if they can help.

I love A-5s. Just another outstanding design by John Browning. I've got a few of them. My faves are of course the "Sweet 16s". I've also got a USGI Remington "Sportsman" that is a 'knock-off' of the A-5. Because it's a copy, it's just as good as reliable as the Browning.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Ron, if you want to remove the bluing, Birchwood/Casey makes a rust & blue remover. You can also use Sweets 7.62 bore cleaner. Both will prolly etch the metal to some extent. I wouldn't leave the stuff on the gun very long.   ....Paul H

Tags: