Recent posts

FIREARMS & OPTICS / A couple of unique Brnos - .25...
Last post by branxhunter - December 08, 2023, 05:38:27 PM
Over the last few months of his life a good friend of mine Mark Dureau aka Camel gave away some of his favourite rifles. He messaged me in February to say he wanted me to have his Brno 601 .250 Myra (.25-222, or 250 Copperhead).

I was flabbergasted and honoured, and ring him to tell him so. I said I was happy to pay for it.

"NO!, it's a gift"

I asked him why he chose to give me the Myra. "Well remember when I was asking you a few weeks ago about whether you kids were into shooting? I was planning to give them a couple of .22s. But you said that they hadn't really shown any interest, so I have decided to give you the Myra, because I know you like weird shit".

"That's why I like hanging around with you!"

He went on to explain where his other rifles were going. It was obvious that he had put some careful thought into it.

Mark wanted to hang onto the Myra for a few months to take it for a walk after some goats. Unfortunately I don't think he ever hit the chance.

A couple of months later he blind-sided me again be telling me to also organise a PTA for his new toy - the Brno Model 2 in .20 Extruder.

PTAs were organised and after a convoluted process (the wrong Brno M2 was sent down initially, then the messages from the NSW LGS didn't seem to tally with what was happening) I was able to pick them up, albeit a few weeks apart.

The Myra turned up first, here are some photos. I do need to organise a replacement butt pad as that ground off bottom edge annoys me.

Marcus
SEND IN THE CLOWNS! / Re: Extrapolation
Last post by gitano - December 08, 2023, 05:20:52 PM
Sadly...

Paul
FIREARMS & OPTICS / Re: j0e_bl0ggs guns
Last post by branxhunter - December 08, 2023, 05:19:15 PM
Nice - I really like the Annie 22lr and the Sauer .270.

I wonder why Alain had duplicate .17Rems?

Marcus
FIREARMS & OPTICS / Re: Tulsa trip
Last post by branxhunter - December 08, 2023, 05:17:08 PM
You have a knack for picking good ones Rick. Looks like it has some nice wood.

Marcus
FIREARMS & OPTICS / Re: Some Days Chickens, Some D...
Last post by branxhunter - December 08, 2023, 04:46:18 PM
Hey Paul, what rifle is the .22-250? I wonder whether the barrel has been shortened from the chamber end very slightly for some reason? Would trying up a factory barrel without rechambering see this and result?

Oh and great job on the easy-out. I bet you were relieved!

Marcus
SEND IN THE CLOWNS! / Extrapolation
Last post by branxhunter - December 08, 2023, 04:35:48 PM
Becoming more prevalent these days...

Marcus
THE CAMPFIRE / Re: Branxhunter is back!
Last post by Jamie.270 - December 08, 2023, 03:52:40 PM
Quote from: branxhunter on December 08, 2023, 03:15:38 PMI've got a few updates to provid as well.

Marcus
Looking forward to that!  It's great to hear from ya.
Welcome back Marcus.
AUSTRALIAN OUTDOORS / A couple of foxes the n the st...
Last post by branxhunter - December 08, 2023, 03:46:46 PM
Nice cool sunny morning a few weekends ago so went for a walk and a whistle down in the stones.

Parked myself on a rock on a small ridge overlooking a flat and have a few whistles. A few roos and wallabies bouncing around but nothing seen coming in to the Silva Fox whistle.

Standing up to move to the next spot I spied a spot of orange in the grass out to the right - must have snuck in along the toe of the ridge. A 40gn Varmageddon nailed it, a young vixen.

Mooched along a bit further to the east and took a rest over the top of a stone wall

A few more piercing screams from the Silva Fox. Nothing out it front, but after about a minute I picked up a movement in my far left hand peripheral vision - one bounding down slope through the long grass.

I swung around to get a bead on it and it halted behind a patch of bracken. I could just see enough if it's head so squeezed off the shot. Another young vixen.

Didn't see anything else for the morning but a good way to spend a couple of hours.

Marcus
THE CAMPFIRE / Branxhunter is back!
Last post by branxhunter - December 08, 2023, 03:15:38 PM
Hi all, thanks to some work by Paul in the background I'm back on THL - and the new layout looks terrific! Great to see THL is still going! I haven't read back through the posts yet to find out who has driven the changes and kept it going but I suspect Paul has had a big part in it - thanks to all involved.

Now to catch up with what's been happening. I've got a few updates to provid as well.

Marcus
WHITETAIL / Re: Alice nailed another one l...
Last post by codger - December 04, 2023, 02:24:35 PM
She did.