Standard Cartridge Series - 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 20, 2004, 08:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This rascal is quite popular and much was written about it on the old forum.  In a pristine military rifle I believe I would gladly own this chambering.

Jay Edward (deceased)

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

NOW YOU ARE TALKING!!!! THIS CARTRIDGE AND ITS YOUNGER BIG BROTHER, THE 6.5X55 BJAI ARE THE "CREME DE LA CREME" OF THE LOWER END OF THE MEDIUM BORES AVAILABLE!!!!!:D

MORE ON THIS CARTRIDGE AT A LATER POST!!!!!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

kombi1976

I'd have to say that behind the .30-06, 7.62 NATO & .303 British this is the most popular military round available. It's certainly an excellent cartridge for most applications apart from really big & dangerous game and I'd tentatively add that it is more flexible than both the '06 & the Brit.

Now I'll just don my flame suit and get ready for the flack over that last comment ;)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Arkie55

Yeph,

This one is my favorite.:D   I own four rifles in this caliber.  Two full Military M96 Swedish Mausers, one sporterized 38 Husky (My son's) and one custom on a 1903 Turk Large Rings Mauser action.  All four shoot great.  On a modern or Large Ring Mauser action you can really push this baby.;)

Jay Edward (deceased)

No 'flack' from me kombi...

Arkie...what were your results on game?

Hunterbug

While I've owned one of these for almost two years I have yet to shoot it. But someday when I do I will give a full report. Looking at the books it looks like a nice little round I would use it for deer and antelope and maby for coyotes just to try it out.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

kombi1976

Quote from: HunterbugWhile I've owned one of these for almost two years I have yet to shoot it.
You haven't shot it yet!!!!! :eek:
Tell you what, send it over to me and I'll  look after it until you get around to using it ;)

I can assure you it'll be safe :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

oneshot

This is my favorite. Accuracy,penatration, flat shooting and mild recoil all in one package.  I took a big 8-point with mine last week.  It did everything I've come to expect from it over the years.
It will all come out in the wash...I hope.

Arkie55

I've only taken two deer with mine. Both were over 300 yards and both were one shot kills. My first was a small doe (about 85 lbs) shot in the right front shoulder at 305 yards. Dropped DRT (dead right there). Last fall I took a nice 8pt at 326 yards. Same result DRT! This one was also shot in the right front shoulder. In both cases, I was shooting my custom 1903 Mauser barreled with a Swedish Military barrel. I'm pushing this one as hard as you can push the Swede with RL-22 and yes I'm above book max on my load. I find the RL-22 really works great in this cartridge. I've used it to push anything from 120 grain Nosler BT's to 140 grain Hornady Interlocks. Both deer mentioned above were taken with 140 Interlocks. I have seen enough that I would pick this rifle up and hunt Elk, Hogs, and Black Bear. It will do the job on all if loaded properly and your selective with your shots. By the way, my rifle is sighted 2 3/4 inches high at 100 yards. On both deer I put the crosshairs on the shoulder and squeezed her off.  That's flat enough for me.:D

Hunterbug

kombi, I would love to shoot it but it's been of getting fixed. I was given the rifle because who ever put it together headspaced it improperly. So, Hondojohn is getting it back in working order for me. I plan to mostly use it for a deer and antelope rifle for my daughter. But of course I will have to try it out and make sure that everything works ok first. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Referencing the 6.5x55 Swede and the 6.5x55 BJAI, here are some pic's along with some other 6.5 cartridges.

Left to right--------6.5x55...6.5x55BJAI...6.5 REM BR....6.5X08 AI....260 REM....
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

CAfrica

A bit of a story about this calibre.

The original military loads were heavy for calibre loads meaning very long bullets.  The long roundnose bullet sticking out of that case resulted in the calibre being called the "pencil Mauser". (Potlood Mauser in Afrikaans).

The 140gr bullet in this calibre is longer than a 180gr 30 calibre.  With these high sectional densities (and the fast twsit rates in the rifles to stablise the bullets), this calibre has an enviable reputation in SAfrica.

The military rifles also had exceptionally long throats to handle the long bullets seated far out. The amazing thing is, despite the long throat which makes seating bullets close to the lands impossible, accuracy has always been great.

Regards.

C

Fortunate Son

I've played with the idea of getting one of these for years.  Maybe you fellas will push me over the edge.    :)
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

Brithunter

Puuush!

Ok now you have had the push:rolleyes:  now got get one, the wonder is that you have not got one already:eek:

Me I have two chambered for the swedish round andalso a 6.5x53R and the rimless 6.5x54MS not that I like the 6.5's you understand:D
Go Get them Floyd!

Brithunter

Hi All,

Oh as for results, well so far I have only shot our lighter deer with any rifle in the UK. Lighter means Roe and Muntjac which weigh between 20lbs and 45lbs normally. I have tried bullets ranging from 160Grn to 100Grn and all work well, the 160Grn actually too well on the Roe Doe at about 90 yards in the wood as she crossed with a group across a forrestry track, the bullet took her in the left side just behind the shoulder and exited through the right shoulder/leg lower down. I was in a ladder seat about 12' off the ground. She spun 180 degrees and ended up facing the way she came DRT. Trouble is that when I shkinned her the whole right shoulder was Bloodshot, the entry was OK but man the exit:confused:  load was 44.0 grns of Rel 19 and WLR in a NNY case. Since then I have not used the 160grn Hornady's since on deer here, I switched to the Speer 120Grn flat based bullets which have bee excellent.

I have also flirted with the Nosler 10 grn Ballistic Tips but they do seem fragile, one absolutely shredded a Dog fox I shot with it at about 75 yards, in fact all but two of the Foxes I have shot have been with the Swedish round. I am also experimenting with the Hornady 129Grn spire points. Trouble is that I tend to rotate what I take out, like last time I took the BSA CF2 7x57, before that it was the BSA Majestic 270W. Perhaps I have too many to choose from:rolleyes: but don't tell anyone I said that;)
Go Get them Floyd!

swede

My brother had a 6.5 -55 swedish . We used 140 grain speers and took bear,moose and deer with it. It shot very good he l0st it in a poker game. Wish he had called me and i would have bought it off of him.

Tags: