Pewter

Started by drinksgin (deceased), March 08, 2014, 12:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

I recently purchased some scrap pewter, after casting it into ingots, I checked the BHN, 21. All pieces I could find marked were marked pewter, supposedly 95 /5.
Interesting, am going to try a few different molds and see how much difference  the weight is and how the out of the mold diameter compares.
I am supposed to get my new glasses in about 10 days, so can get busy again casting and shooting
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

QuoteI am supposed to get my new glasses in about 10 days, so can get busy again casting and shooting
The best news in the post!

I've often wondered why "pewter" wasn't used more for cast bullets, and concluded that what is called everything BUT "pewter", and used for casting bullets, is indeed just "pewter" by another name. In other words, "pewter" is very loosely defined, and the farther back one goes in time, the looser that definition gets. Therefore, to me, most of the "secret recipes" for cast bullets are just "pewter" by another name.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

SUPPOSEDLY, pewter for food and drink containers are  lead free and most seems to be 95% tin and 5% antimony.
I did notice the ingots have a golden glow, much different than lead alloys.
I am sure they will be quite a bit lighter than lead alloys, especially my most used wws, most of which are about 90% or more lead.
Looking forward to doing some testing.
One thing, a pewter bullet cannot "lead" a barrel, don't know about "tinning " it.
It will be interesting to see what velocities the lighter bullets do compared to a ww bullet from the same mold and with the same powder charge.
Also may or not need a gc.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

There was someone selling zinc "washers" that you swaged onto your lead bullets. They were supposed to eliminate the need for gas checks AND "sinter" (zinc-plate) your barrel. When I was still believing I could get lead bullets to shoot straight AND not leave half their mass in the barrel, I tried some of the zinc washers. If my experience is any indication, they might as well have been made with snake oil.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

So what's the scoop?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: