fur prices

Started by davidlt89, February 18, 2014, 04:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Well, NAFA kicked off their first auction of the year on the 17th. First day was all ranch mink. Today they finished that off and got into some wild fur. On the docket were muskrats and otters.
I was very pleased with the muskrats. I had 16 pieces and grand total was 188.5. Most I got for one was 14.50 and lowest was 8.00. They averaged 11.25 a piece. Not to shabby, especially since the mice got into them and there was some damage to about 6.

No better way to say this, otter stunk. My 2XL was bought back which meant they did not accept the price the buyers offered. My LG went for 55.00. much different than last year. I have no reservations getting this last one tanned.

On the flip side, my buddy Dhitch had two fisher and recieved 132.00 for one and 124.00 for the other.

I have 22 beaver waiting to go which are on the docket for saturday and two coons to be auctioned sunday. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

Considering it's been almost 40 years since I sold any furs to speak of, rats are about what I was getting then. I remember mink being 25-35 bucks, but coyotes were where the big money was. We averaged in the neighborhood of $80 for those and $100 bobcats and fox were $30-40.

And gasoline was 38 cents a gallon.

Sounds like you're having a ton-o-fun trapping though and that's what counts!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

prices plummeted for a long time, muskrats are getting back up there. Coyotes are not bad money either, right around the prices you mention (60.00-80.00, with top lot a lot higher). I believe bobcats are going for some better money now but it depends on where you live. Western bobcat went for 450.00 average with top lot 1,500.00. out my way it is no where near that. average of 150.00. then again it all depends on the year!!!! And gasoline is not .38 cents, as you know. all my trapping is a couple miles from work so that is good.
Beaver are getting auctioned right now and they are having a hard time getting the prices they want. I only sold 10 out of 22 pieces so far but those pieces averaged 30.00 a piece. they are now probably negotiating with the buyers to see what can be done. Which means they stopped the auction and got out the liquor to have a talk about it:)

to be honest, I want as much money as I can get, obviously, but I would still do this if prices were "rock bottom". I like being in the woods, setting traps, seeing animals in the traps, and I actually don't mind skinning and fleshing. I definitely like seeing the end products. it is hard work but it is also "good" exercise to me!!! so getting paid anything to "have fun" is all right in my book.

up here, hunting usually costs money to do. by the time all the licenses are bought and gas used, most people would be in the hole if they did not shoot a deer or big game animal, and are probably still in the hole if they do. very common to drive for birds up here, nothing to use 60.00 in gas and 4 birds ain't covering that. People do it because it is fun, so they are literally paying to have fun, and I understand that and will continue to do it. shooting costs money, we all pay something for shooting components and receive no return on that, just more money into components, but we are all going to continue to do it because it is enjoyable. trapping gives you a much bigger return. All my sales have paid for my equipment twice over, and I am getting ready to get more!!!! so If I can do something I really like that at least pays for its self, I am happy. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: still enjoying yourself................Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: