another one for the son.

Started by davidlt89, April 03, 2014, 02:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

well, we pulled 3 beaver out in the first week in a pond my son and I set about 3 weeks ago. when that happens close to the house, the beaver can become trap shy!!! 3 the first week, then nothing so far after that. I have had setoffs with no beaver since the first 3. Soooo, I made up two snares and put them last wednesday. I made a frame with stickers and put popal in the middle with two homemade snares on the sides. Checked today and one of the snares scored!!!! I am really starting to like snares, especially for trap shy beaver. This one probably comes in around 30lbs, but at least it is an adult. the first 3 were kits. Tomorrow night my son will sit through the fleshing process (he does not know that yet:sweatdrop:).

We are on the downside of winter now. Good temps coming up and stuff is melting. Within the next week and half I should be able to get some real good sets in. I have 3-4 ponds to get on and I should be able to get the beaver left in the ponds I am in now as the edges open up. Should be real interesting this month. News at 11:00!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

davidlt89

QuoteLocal beaver must 'hate' you!
I am a hard guy to hate Joe;)

My son and I fleshed this bad boy last night. My intent was that he watch and learn, I had reservations as to how much attention he would pay!!! Again, he surprised me. He kept bugging me to use the fleshing knife and he kept sticking his hands on the beaver to pull the meat off the knife was taking off. I seriously almost cut his finger off twice;) Once  I got to an easy part, I let him yield the knife. I had to ask for it back so we could finish up. All together different story putting it on the board. he went and got a hockey stick and a puck and starting shooting goals. I told him he was not learning a whole lot by doing that but he then replied back with, "this helps me think better"! I did not argue!!! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

I was 10 when I was allowed to go on my first big game hunt with my Dad and older brother. While we were out, we ran into another couple of guys that had shot a small bull moose. It had deformed horns - they were about palm-of-the-hand sized and flattened against the skull - and they didn't have any interest in it. I WANTED IT, but my Dad said "No". (My Dad was a "city boy" and learned to hunt as an adult.) On the way back out of the woods, my head was hanging and tears were welling up in my eyes. When my Dad asked what was wrong, I kinda burst out with how much I wanted that head.

Here's the point: Boys aren't men. If they find an interest in something that isn't 'wrong', they should be allowed to be boys and INVESTIGATE. That is in fact the way we learn. "He kept sticking his hands on the beaver to pull the meat off...". Don't take me wrong. I'm not criticizing. Just commenting as I feel a certain 'kinship' with his interest.

Later that year, when I went caribou hunting with my Dad and brother I still wasn't allowed to bring the whole heads home, but I did bring several eyeballs. Much to my mother's dismay.

I REALLY like his response: "this helps me think better". I completely understand! There is a time for every season... I am very curious about what wheels were turning as he thought about the events of the evening.

Great stuff!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

I was not mad at him putting his fingers in there, I just did not want to cut them off!!! he helped me immensely with the little things he did and I seen a lot of interest in doing it himself. I just set a new pond today and If I get a kit, I think I will let him have it!!!!! I think he is going to make a good trapper someday, but I don't push him to go, he goes when he wants to!!!! God Bless.

Tags: