Range Report BSA deluxe

Started by sakorick, May 02, 2012, 02:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Gosh, it's been forever getting this rifle shootable and today planting got rained out so I did some testing of the BSA. I started with 180 grain Noslers and it shot a perfect 3 1/2 inch cloverleaf!:frown  So I switched to the 130 grain Speer HP's and presto went from disaster to very good. There could be various reasons for this turn around......any guesses? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

branxhunter

Rifling twist too slow for the heavier projectiles???

That's a nice looking rifle Rick.

Marcus

Brithunter

Hmmm can't see that as it should be 1 in 10" left hand twist with 5 grooves. Barrel harmonics and OBT might be in play here.
Go Get them Floyd!

branxhunter

I assumed that Rick may have had some quickload input which would have negated the barrel harmonics OBT theory.........

Marcus

22hornet

Nice BSA Rick. No idea of your problem though. Tweek the load maybe?

My uncle had a BSA the same as your in .270. Great rifle, easy to shoot, smooth action. I
've said it before, they don't make them like that anymore!
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Here is what I know. It's a one in ten twist as BH surmised. The 180's were loaded with RL22 and as such it may not like the slow powder. It also had quite a copper build up for such a few rounds....copper may have been there awhile.That said, I've always wanted a 30 caliber rifle that liked the small for caliber bullets.....I may have found one....I need to order bullets. Keep tuned. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Ahhh Rick not surmised ............................. I cheated and looked in Knibbs book. On one page it lists the twists BSA used.

Now I would at some point re-try the 180 load but seat the bullets deeper if that will not push pressures up too much. As I found with my CF2 BSA in 7x57 with the Hornady 139 BTSP seated close to lands is horrorable 1 1/2-2 moa. Seat thos bullets deeper to the canulure and groups shrank. On that one the seating depth is with a tiny bit of bullet shank showing between canulure and case mouth and a large bullet jump to the leade.

The Hornady 139 Grn SP with flat base needs to be closer to the leade :confused: this I found after developing the SP load then not being able to get any more back in 2003 before my trip to Missouri. Was running out of time and worrying hugely about it as the rifle was the one listed on the Temp Form 6. Finally bit the bullet and went back to basics and seated the bullet deep to the canulure ring. Final seat depth gave me best group of about 5/8"-3/4" .................................... as history shows it worked.

Where possible I try to use flat based bullets.

Oh yes the Hornady 130 Grn SP seems to shoot well in  a lot of rifles.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Hello BH. You didn't cheat as you have the documentation which I would have used too! I think you're on to something with seating depth......first, That was the first thing I thought of when the little bullets worked so well and second, it makes good sense. ;)I need to talk to Paul about pressures. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Pressure ................................ Hmmm surely that's when you have too much work to do and not enough time :COOLdude:.

It was the experience with the 7x57 and seating depth which made me wonder. That and my natural tendency to question the oft quoted and published idea of seting bullets close to the leade.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

I have a question for BH......What do you reckon this rifle is? Upscale Monarch? John Knibbs didn't know what they called it. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Rick,

Unless we can find an advert of your rifle of the correct period we may never know.

I have a Galef one for a Monarch deluxe and although the stock profile is the same right down to the shape and size of the Rosewood Fore tip ............................. the chequering pattern is different totally and not of the Scotch or Skip Line/basket weave type.

Sadly the BSA advertising stuff is not as easily found as the Parker-Hale stuff :(.

As you found out from Knibbs BSA would and did do special runs for importers and yours appears to be one of those so unless we can find some leaflets from that importer we may be struggling here.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Monarch deluxe sounds good to me. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Ahhh Rick a thought occured to me which raised a question in my mind ..................................... I know dangerous that :greentongue:

Now does your Monarch deluxe have the two holes drilled and tapped in the left side at the rear of the receiver ? Such as seen in this photo of my 1st pat Monarch:-

If so why have you not sorted out a nice receiver sight for it ? Especially seeing your appreciation for such sights ! The Lyman 57 SME fits BTW. Of course BSA dropped the holes from the CF2 and I cannot see if your rifle has them or not. I need to find a 2nd Pat Monarch to have a look at some time.

I am sure that sorting out a fore sight would not be hard :yes:
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: Brithunter;120475Ahhh Rick a thought occured to me which raised a question in my mind ..................................... I know dangerous that :greentongue:

Now does your Monarch deluxe have the two holes drilled and tapped in the left side at the rear of the receiver ? Such as seen in this photo of my 1st pat Monarch:-

If so why have you not sorted out a nice receiver sight for it ? Especially seeing your appreciation for such sights ! The Lyman 57 SME fits BTW. Of course BSA dropped the holes from the CF2 and I cannot see if your rifle has them or not. I need to find a 2nd Pat Monarch to have a look at some time.

I am sure that sorting out a fore sight would not be hard :yes:

Yes, it is D&T's for a receiver sight. There is no provision for a front sight so one would have to be silver soldered on and I just don't want to go there. I'm sure it was built for the American market and back in the early 70's the market here was for no hard sights and the Sako deluxe was the competition and they came with no hard sights. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Hmmmm now Rick I do believe that the Williams ramp screws on :yes:

Yep just checked in my box of bits. This one is off a P-H and it retained by a single screw but located by two roll pins no need for heat or solder :grin: and after all it's no longer original ....................................... is it? :greentongue:
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

The barrel would have to be tapped.:frown Looks like no receiver sight for this one. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Well you cannot say I didn't try :MOGRIN:
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: