25-06 AI or 257 Wby?

Started by Moosestomper, December 01, 2004, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moosestomper

I know that the 25-06 is a great cartridge. I am in the middle of getting a Ruger M77 left hand. The 24" barrel with handloads will make awesome fflat shooting and accuracy..... but I always have to mess with things when they ain't broke. So I am considering punching it to an Ackley improved(40 degree) or a Weatherby case.
 I want to shoot 100g Barnes xlc and 115g Nosler partitions. I doubt that I will use it on anything bigger than Caribou but I might try it on a moose just to say that I did it. So the BIG question is....Which one?
 I am sure I know the answers before they come in..... LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!
 Anyway just curious on all your thouhgts.
 Thanks
 Adam

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Adam aka Moosestomper,

....LEAVE IT ALONE!...... well, that is always an option!

Given the option of 25-06 AI or 257 Weatherby, I would choose the Ackley Improved.
But you probably knew that already as I am not an admirer of magnum anything for the most part and Weatherbys in particular. The extra cost of brass & powder are, IMHO, just not worth it for the higher velocity increase.

By going with the AI your velocity increase is not a whole lot, I'm guessing maybe 150fps with the heavier bullets and powders similiar to H-4831. The plus side is extended case life with the AI cartridge design. Case trimming for the most part becomes a thing of the past.

If you do decide to go the AI route, make sure the gunsmith/riflesmith you have do the work does it the way P O Ackley said to do it. Pull the barrel, set it back 1 turn and re-chamber with the AI reamer .004 short!!!! You want a "crush" fit when you chamber a factory round and it is best to use unfired brass if you reload. You will have less case failure by doing it this way unless you anneal the fired brass and full length resize back to original specifications. This is information is based on personal experience backed up by the recommendation of many others.

The heavier bullets of the Nosler partition or Barnes monometals should get the job done when it comes to the moose if you pick your shots and keep the ranges within reason. For other game such as caribou the non-premium bullets of good quality should be more than enough to accomplish what needs to be done. The bullet selection is not based on personal experience but info I have gleaned from others.

Once you have the rifle in hand I personally would give it a severe workout to see what you can accomplish with the factory chambering. It might just be what you are looking for without the additional expense. Once again, you get to make the choice. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Moosestomper

I did some more looking into this and unless I was to change the barrel to a 26-28" the reamer job just wouldn't be practical. Velocity isn't going to increase nearly as much as muzzleblast and powder burned, especially with the Weatherby.
 I was hoping you would reply John because this isn't the first time you had to straighten out my corrupted thinking! I think you are right, AI would help a bit for speed but will a whitetail at 150 yds really know if it was hit with an extra 150fps? No matter what, the deer is 'done like dinner' if hit with a 25-06! You know from the past threads that I like odd balls and wildcats but the truth be known(this is gonna hurt) I think the 25-06 is about as good as it can get and any wildcatting will be more costly than hunter friendly......so I will LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!
 Thanks John you saved me money too!!

CAfrica

Moose,

Let me get you thinking again, just to tempt you.

Following John's thread on "Reboring" a bbl,  how about looking to convert that 25-06 to a 6.5-06?

Then you would have your "odd ball" cartridge and you will have the additional benefit of being able to load heavier bullets for heavier game (say 140gr Nosler?).

Tempted?

C

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: CAfricaMoose,

Let me get you thinking again, just to tempt you.

Following John's thread on "Reboring" a bbl, how about looking to convert that 25-06 to a 6.5-06?

Then you would have your "odd ball" cartridge and you will have the additional benefit of being able to load heavier bullets for heavier game (say 140gr Nosler?).

Tempted?

C
Unfortunately, moving from 25 caliber to 26 caliber is not an option.  The groove diameter of 25 caliber is .257 and bore diameter on 26 caliber is .256.  I have been advised by those that do this kind of work that they require more metal removal.  You could go to a .270 W-AI but IMHO, the 280 Rem AI would be the best option.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Moosestomper

I had been told also that the rifling on a 257 cal wouldn't be completely removed going to a 264 cal. Apperently to rebore effectively a guy need to go at least 2 bore sizes up.
 Thanks CAfrica but the 6.5 will be a project hopefully this summer if I don't go with a 9.3X62 Mauser first!

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: MoosestomperI had been told also that the rifling on a 257 cal wouldn't be completely removed going to a 264 cal. Apperently to rebore effectively a guy need to go at least 2 bore sizes up.
Thanks CAfrica but the 6.5 will be a project hopefully this summer if I don't go with a 9.3X62 Mauser first!
Yes, you can't go from a 25 to a 26 and you can't go from a 27 to a 28.......everything else is a go!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Tags: