Building a rifle for my wife....

Started by subsonic, January 17, 2008, 07:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

subsonic

Looking in my tattered '07 Sinclair catalog.... they actually list Redding FL 30/284 dies for about $140, adding a neck sizer to the set is about $220.

I can get the "type S" neck set for 98.05, and buy a bushing for another $11.

I can get 7.5x55 dies for $25.

BUT, looking at the 7.5x55 ballistics - it's basically a .308, maybe a 30x57 equivalent. I'd be doing an awful lot of work to re-invent the wheel. What I am trying to acheive is a .30-06 that fits this action better - the 30x284 makes more sense - has a little more capacity.

gitano

QuoteDid you mean 6.5x284 where you typed 7.5x55?
Nope. I was following your lead of wanting to use easy-on-the-wallet 7.5x55 dies.

The problem with the 7.5x55 is the .500" rim size. I would be a good choice but for that. Still, for what it's worth, I think your ideas regarding the .30-284 are sound.

But let's get back to bushing dies and their costs. What can you get plain ol' .284 Win bushing dies for? If it's less than $50 or so, I'd say it's money well spent because, that die, with a .30 cal bushing ($8 from Midway) will load the .30x.284.

There are other solutions too. You can buy a .30 cal die blank for $20 from Midway. It appears your  father-in-law has access to and uses a lathe, so you can rent a .30x.284 reamer from http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Rifle+Calibers&PHPSESSID=7cb1b49160c7dcc9f9b768d908acb32e for $28. Your father-in-law can ream the die and voila', after you get the decapping spindle and expander ball you've got your custom resizing die for under $75.

Finally, since your wife 'likes' the 7mm, I wooda thunk you'd simply use the .284 Win in original configuration. Wouldn't be as much fun to make, and wouldn't be as 'unique', but it'd shore be simpler. Not arguing mind you... jus' wonderin'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

subsonic

I don't see any 7.5x55 bushing dies offered, which is why I thought you meant the more popular 6.5x284 or regular .284 version. But I've only looked at Midway and Sinclair's catalogs.

The 7.5x55 IS .30 caliber... so there would be no need for a .30 bushing to make it "work".

I hadn't considered the seater die yet.... I dont' know if the regular .284 seater die would get it done. I'm pretty sure the 6.5 version would not work. But the 7.5x55 dies will load 7.5x55.

Her dad tried cutting some used RCBS dies that were 300H&H to make them into the .300 Mag Improved (not Win and not Weatherby) dies he needs for one rifle he built, and that has not worked out. Might have ruined the reamer.

Yes, .284 has been kicked around too. Simplifies things for sure, and factory ammo could, in theory, be found still. BUT, I have lots of .30 bullets on hand, a 311041GC mould, and there's always the "bigger is better" theory for stopping ability.

gitano

Quote from: subsonic;73294I don't see any 7.5x55 bushing dies offered, which is why I thought you meant the more popular 6.5x284 or regular .284 version. But I've only looked at Midway and Sinclair's catalogs. I don't know of any 7.5x55 bushing dies either.

The 7.5x55 IS .30 caliber... so there would be no need for a .30 bushing to make it "work". True, it's just that it's smaller than the .284 Win, so you'd be working the brass more each time you reloaded than you would with a die with a .284 body. Not a big deal for sure, but a reason to consider the .284 die body.

I hadn't considered the seater die yet.... I dont' know if the regular .284 seater die would get it done. I'm pretty sure the 6.5 version would not work. But the 7.5x55 dies will load 7.5x55. I don't think a seater is going to be a problem.

Her dad tried cutting some used RCBS dies that were 300H&H to make them into the .300 Mag Improved (not Win and not Weatherby) dies he needs for one rifle he built, and that has not worked out. Might have ruined the reamer. There's the 'rub'. Premanufactured dies are hardened after they're cut. I wouldn't be surprised if he did dull the reamer. However, the die blanks are NOT hardened. That means that after cutting them, you have to harden them, OR... simply live with the fact that they won't last more than a few thousand reloadings before they start to enlarge a thousandth or two.

Yes, .284 has been kicked around too. Simplifies things for sure, and factory ammo could, in theory, be found still. BUT, I have lots of .30 bullets on hand, a 311041GC mould, and there's always the "bigger is better" theory for stopping ability. No argument  - just curious.

Paul +5
Be nicer than necessary.

subsonic

It's going to be a 7x57mm on a military 98 action.

Mostly because we already have a nice 7mm barrel blank  and that cartridge is a good fit otherwise.

I will update as things progress.

sakorick

Quote from: subsonic;78667It's going to be a 7x57mm on a military 98 action.

Mostly because we already have a nice 7mm barrel blank and that cartridge is a good fit otherwise.

I will update as things progress.

A wise choice. Nothing will have to be done with the action, feed rails etc.....nothing. The 7mm will fit the Mauser action like a glove. What kind of action is it? and if you need a weird part, email me as I have a drawer full of Mauser parts gratis for the most part. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

RatherBHuntin

What's the expected date of birth?  We'll all expect pics and a full description.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

QuoteMostly because we already have a nice 7mm barrel blank

More often than not, that's precisely what 'drives the boat'. In my opinion, that'll be a fine rifle/cartridge  hunting combo.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

AZ Shooter Gal

I think the 7x57 is a good choice. I shot a light 6.5x55 for several years and

enjoyed it.  Though my choice today would be a .260Remington, but having an

unchambered 7mm barrel on hand is a VERY strong reason.

Tags: