Coyotes Kill Woman

Started by bowhunter 51, October 28, 2009, 05:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter 51

At least 2 coyotes are responible for the death of young 19 yr old woman
hiking a park in Nova Scotia...a promising musician they say...other hikers
heard her screams..authorities were able to dispatch one of the animals...
She died later as a result of multiple bites and blood loss..........

Your thoughts Barry?....................................................................BH51.....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Alboy

Looked this up, maybe she has not died but there was definately and attack

The Canadian Press
Date: Tuesday Oct. 27, 2009 6:41 PM ET
SYDNEY, N.S — A 19-year-old woman was rushed to hospital in serious condition after being attacked Tuesday afternoon by two coyotes in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.
The RCMP said the young woman was hiking by herself on the popular Skyline Trail when she was attacked.
Sgt. Brigdit Leger said officers arriving on scene shot and killed one of the animals, which was being aggressive.
"The other one fled into the woods," she told CTV News.
The woman was taken hospital in Cheticamp, N.S., with multiple bites and was to be airlifted to Halifax.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Daryl (deceased)

This article says she died.  Very sad, but sometimes strange things happen.

I'm curious to know if it was rabid or otherwise had something wrong wtih it. Not typical behavior for coyotes I've been around, but then I reckon they're individuals too.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gk5ZQGk-2GKXlURhLsNjvbPyruaQ

They obviously had no fear of humans.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

recoil junky

One, er two more reasons to be packin' heat in our national parks. Had she been armed with something, even pepper spray, she may be alive to tell about it.

A very sad story.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I'm shocked. I've never seen an aggressive coyote. NEVER. I have heard that the norhteastern coyotes are really big, approaching wolf size. Maybe it was a pair of those, but I'm with Daryl wondering about the rabies.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: recoil junky;98896One, er two more reasons to be packin' heat in our national parks. Had she been armed with something, even pepper spray, she may be alive to tell about it.

A very sad story.

RJ

I'm with RJ definitely a good reason for packing heat. Here in Oz you'd get arrested if you packed heat in a national park but I'd rather get arrested and be alive.

I read the news this morning at work and they said she had died. She was a promising folk singer and was suppose to play at a concert after her walk. Dam shame that is, so young. Can't trust wild animals. I don't even trust my dogs around my two year old boy, Jesse, and the dogs are ****zu crossed with maltese, knee high to an ant, but they are still dogs and can inflict some damage.

Very sad story indeed.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Fieldmor77

Now this is something you could expect over here with our wild dog problems, i thought coyotes were only a little larger than a fox.

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteI'm with RJ definitely a good reason for packing heat. Here in Oz you'd get arrested if you packed heat in a national park but I'd rather get arrested and be alive.

Not to make light of a very sad occurance, but I can't help but wonder how many young girls were assaulted, raped, and/or murdered in the world on that same day, and barely got mentioned in the local paper?  Not long ago, two fairly young girls were shot in a home invasion near me (one killed), and I didn't see it mentioned even in statewide news, much less international.

But a coyote attack is unusual, so it gets lots of attention.

All that said, two leggel coyotes concern me far more than four legged ones.  Around here, drug smugglers are a far greater threat than any wild animal is, including bears and mt lions.

Either way though, I reckon if  you're the one being attacked, the odds don't matter much.  If I carry consistently, then I have something to defend myself with no matter when or where something happens.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Jamie.270

Maybe this is why our member/visitor, Joe Harbour, who lives to the south of there said they have a bounty on them.  
They also may have to compete more aggressively for food in that region, and are therefore larger and more "proactive" about defending their territory and taking prey.
I've only seen one yote willing to defend anything, and that was a den with her pups.  They're usually skittish around here, and do their vanishing act.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

bowhunter 51

I think the young lady was (dare I say) within her monthly cycle.....
And...probably petite, rendering her within their capability....as size
would be a factor....alone being another consideration...They were
accustom to taking down young deer, etc....Tho only two were known
to be involved, my thinking is there were probably more....Rabies,
another consideration and could have gotten the ball rolling to
frenzy...I'm sure they would be a bigger animal than what we have
here in the South & South west....Isolated incident and rare, still
a message.....her popularity a factor to the media and the public....
I personnally will watch those little devils with increased caution...
I trust them less today than yesterday..................................BH51......
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

QuoteHere in Oz you'd get arrested if you packed heat in a national park
You will here too. Recent legislation supposedly changes that, but I'll believe it when I see it, AND I can promise you it won't apply in Alaska to Wrangle-St. Elias and Denali national parks.

There's a saying among 2nd Ammendment supporters: "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six."

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LvrLover

Several children have been attacked by coyotes in California I believe, but I do not have a resource on that other than my memory. We have pretty big coyotes here too. People need to remember these animals will pull down a full grown deer. It isn't a big step up to people. If they lose their fear of man through habituation, illness, or some other reason they can be very dangerous. I used to work in a wildlife education park and out of all the animals I was around I liked the coyotes the least. Way too smart. Never took their eyes off you. I tell people this all the time but they all think I'm nuts. Large predators(coyotes are the bottom of this list) should be terrified of people. Never feed them, never encourage their presence. A fed animal is a dead animal. My bosses mother hangs suet out for the birds and thinks its "cute" when the resident bear comes and tears it down. I told her not to feed suet with a bear around. It will even come out in broad daylight when you are outside. I told her to carry pepper spray or a gun when she works outside. She lives on 80 acres of creek bottom that is all grown up and right next to the buildings. She just laughed at me. Anyway, there was a reason settlers exterminated predators as they moved west. And it wasn't all just ignorance and fear.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Paul Hoskins

I realize this is an old post but I've been busy. I never heard anything about this incident on the news. The area where this young lady was killed is some of my old stamping grounds in my younger days. The coyotes in question defnitely didn't have rabies. Rabid animals do not associate with each other & bite any animal they come in contact with. Additionally, rabid animals seldom make any sounds or vocalizations. I luckily lived through the rabies epidemic in SE Ky. back in the late 40's. Saw many rabid animals from foxes to horses.   ......Paul H

Tags: