More bunny fun at the historic house

Started by kombi1976, February 15, 2011, 05:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

A friend is moving to Melbourne and her farewell party last Saturday arvo happened to be at the same historic house myself and my Andrew have been culling rabbits. I expected no visible traces of bunnies after the mixo symptoms they all had last time we shot there. But there were diggings EVERYWHERE. So Andrew, who was also at the party, and I lined up to go out tonight and thin the numbers again.

The weather was not promising with misty rain throughout the late afternoon but by the time 8:30 arrived it was cool but dry. Andrew had unfortunately had his CZ 22lr ruined by a local gunsmith when he sent it for a bedding job. The guy had dug so much wood out of it he'd weakened the stock and it was shooting disgraceful groups. So instead of him shooting too we took the sniper team approach. He spotted exclusively and with the use of shooting sticks I was the only shooter.

The numbers were down but having a dedicated spotter and being able to concentrate on shooting really helped. In the end we took 17 animals and recovered 14 of them, having seen the other three get hit but thrash away into cover where we couldn't find them once they died.  That adds up to 24 on my first trip last year with Jane, 25 last time with Andrew and 17 tonight. Not bad, I reckon. :biggthumpup:

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

MountainMafia

That's a great shoot and it must have been fun for you two at the expense of the bunnies.:jumpingsmiley: Your system is a good way to gang up on them.............as the photo vouches for your very successful hunt. thanks for sharing.
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

Alboy

Makes my mouth water when I think of all the fried or dumplingd up rabbit. Little mashed potatoes and some red beans ummmmmmmmmmmm!
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

kombi1976

It was a good night. Next time, however, if Andrew's rifle is back and working I'll spot for him. It's only fair, right? ;)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

MountainMafia

...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

Tags: