Home Made Hunting Arrows - Traditional

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 16, 2004, 06:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

These are my hunting arrows.  They are made from Spruce, the Broadheads are Journeyman and the color 'fades' in the sunlight.  I found that this coloration did not show up in the mornings (at first light) and, unlike cammo, are easier to find.

The tommahawks painted on the shafts are courtesy of my love, under the nocks on the 'blunts' is a green ring (hard to see on the carpet), and the nocks themselves have a 'ridge' on the Broadheads.

The fletching shape is my own choice and the 'blunts' are used for the taking of small game...notably Grouse for the pot.  I hate comin' back empty handed...besides, playing cat-and-mouse with a Grouse on the ground is really great sport.

I really love making my own equipment and arrows are no exception.  It's a nice winter's evening project in a warm shop with a hot cup of coffee.

The quiver is one I picked up many years ago...I lined the upper rim with fur to eliminate the noise that arrows can make in various situations.  In addition, the 'blunts' are separated by a leather partition from the Broadheads.  But it's not really a problem as I can 'feel' the ridges on the Broadheads and going a little slower with 'blunts' when you're hunting small game is no problem

12 gauge

Awesome Jay!

Good work!

Can you make me some for free? I hate going to gander mountain and buying a half a dozen for like $40...it's not worth it...

that's like almost $6.50 each arrow..and it is carbon so i guess it would make sense...

Anyway, great work!

all you need to do is use one of those bows ya made, and you will be all set to go!

Good luck and god bless
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: 12 gaugeCan you make me some for free? I hate going to gander mountain and buying a half a dozen for like $40...it's not worth it...
[/size]

I could make them 12 gauge but it would be of no value to you.  Making arrows is not difficult.  

My first arrows I made by scrounging some turkey feathers and a small tube of 'super glue'.  I made a couple of angled marks on the table in front of a circular sander and used wood blocks to lay the shafts along.  I turned the arrows by hand and had the angles on either end of the shafts for nock and field tip/broadhead.  

I put some spar varnish on the completed shafts and I was in business.  For awhile I even eliminated the 'nocks' and cut in 'self nocks'.

I used razor blades and scissors to trim the fletchings/feathers.

Here is an image of the latest models:

Hunterbug

Quote from: 12 gaugeAwesome Jay!

that's like almost $6.50 each arrow..and it is carbon so i guess it would make sense...

That gives you pretty good incentive to pick your shots and not miss!

I got my wife a nice #30 recurve for Christmas and now I'm going to get her some arrows. I'm going to get me a #40 Bear after the first of the year to hunt grouse and bunnies with. I got my first bow kill last year. It was a grouse that made the mistake of landing 50 yards away when I was elk hunting. It cost me a lost arrow and broadhead and a badly bent arrow and damaged broadhead but it was worth it as it was great eating and I now have my wifes permission to shoot all the grouse I want.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

12 gauge

Quote from: HunterbugThat gives you pretty good incentive to pick your shots and not miss!

I got my wife a nice #30 recurve for Christmas and now I'm going to get her some arrows. I'm going to get me a #40 Bear after the first of the year to hunt grouse and bunnies with. I got my first bow kill last year. It was a grouse that made the mistake of landing 50 yards away when I was elk hunting. It cost me a lost arrow and broadhead and a badly bent arrow and damaged broadhead but it was worth it as it was great eating and I now have my wifes permission to shoot all the grouse I want.
yeah i'd say!

Well if i miss i don't have to worry about the shaft, or the broadhead really, i got carbon so they are strong, and i have steel force broadheads, 100 grain, they are stainless steel and are very strong!

So i don't quite have to worry about it..

I am not really interested in making my own arrows because i have a compound bow and i don't think wooden arrows will work good with the compound, and i don't really know how to make a recurve...It is difficult to teach wood to bend..

Oh well, i think i will stick with my compound and carbon arrows, you have fun making arrows and bows Jay! And good work!

God bless :D
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

gitano

Jay,

What do you do about "spining" your arrows for the draw-strength of your bow?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoJay, What do you do about "spining" your arrows for the draw-strength of your bow? Paul
[/size]

My very first arrows were used in a 47# bow and the spine didn't seem to be an issue.  I only shot one buck with those arrows and graduated to already 'spined' Cedar before I went to 55#s.  Eventually the Cedar shafts got too expensive and I was glad to chance upon a maker who was turning out Spruce shafts.  I purchased a dozen and tried them out.  They were just as good as the Cedar so I went back and bought a number of shafts so that neither the price nor the availability would be much of a concern.

By this time I was shooting 60# and 65# longbows and I made sure I had enough shafts to last.  I've always operated on the premise that a large pruchase will hurt at the time but I'd be saving money over the years.  You know, I think I still have one or two dozen bare shafts left.

Kanibal

I am currently in the middle of finishing five dozen cedar arrows.  In the past I have tried other wood materials but always find myself going back to cedar.  Although I did like spruce.  I have also tried pine shafts that didnt straighten as well for me and I have made some arrows out of Ash for fun.  Ash is a lot heavier than cedar and spruce but almost impossible to break.  My current hunting arrows with broadhead weighs an average of 600 grains and I use 5.5 inch shield cut high back feathers for the looks.  I have found that half moon feathers although not as traditional looking, stabalize arrows the best.  Ill post pictures of my completed arrows when I finish them.  Also Jay where in the Rockies are you from?
-Richard

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: KanibalI have found that half moon feathers although not as traditional looking, stabalize arrows the best. Ill post pictures of my completed arrows when I finish them. Also Jay where in the Rockies are you from?
[/color][/size]

Yeah, I've tried a number of different configurations of fletching designs and usually gravitate back towards the crescent design.  Oddly enough, my traditional square cut trukey feathers flew the best...but also made the most noise.

I live in the Valley of the Clarks Fork about 100 or so miles West of Missoula.

Kanibal

Cool I am currently going to school near Coeur d'Alene its a pretty area, a lot different than where I grew up though.  Im still getting used to the dry weather.  We get an average of 160 inches of rain back home.  Also, what do you hunt for in the area and what bows do you shoot/hunt with and do you have any good recommendations for deer or bear hunting over here?
-Richard

Jay Edward (deceased)

I dunno Kanibal...your public profile says Olympic Peninsula and you're in school near CDA...I wonder how that places you for hunting licenses?

The Rockys are great for Black Bear hunting but you would have to ask around in Idaho...it's not my stomping ground.  I have hunted Elk over there but that was almost dead center of the state in a primitive area.  Over here there are Black Bear in reasonable numbers but it is still a matter of 'finding gold'.  They are where you find them.

Out of state licenses are pretty pricey and that has to be figured into as well.  It used to be that Black Bear was figured into the general licenses but now it is a separate tag.  I'm not sure what's going on in Idaho but I imagine the Idaho Fish & Game website can fill you in.

Tags: